Season 8

Discussion in 'Battrick' started by Bluto11, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are his form and fitness? What's the pitch type (and bowling style) and weather?

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    superb form, started at sublime (low sublime because it went up from energetic last night) green pitch, sunny day.

sunny day doesn't help, but it was the worst beating he's ever taken in a 5 over spell, at least that I can remember. and only one of the batsmen is even close to him (18,000 in wages). hoping he gets it together when he comes back into the attack in the last 10 overs.

3. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    well the wickets finally came and I should wrap this one up shortly.

End of Over 33: 204-6, runrate=6.18, reqrunrate=7.41 (329-5)
    Keane 7-0-38-1
    Mckinlay* 8 (8 balls)
    Gowshall 0 (3 balls)

4. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd guess sunny is part of it. You also didn't say what the bowling style was, although I'm not sure if there's any particular style that tends to struggle on a green pitch.

5. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    right handed fast bowler

ended up winning. Coetzer picked up some wickets and then Wild got their best batsmen.

6. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I eventually figured it out from the box score. I know Cort (my fast bowler) has had some very expensive appearances, but I'm not sure about particulars of pitch type and weather.

Dunno if you've looked at the other matches in the series, but the competition is looking really ugly. Doctors finished 3rd last season and could find themselves in the basement this season. There are no gimmes.

7. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, i just checked the other matches, and seeing as how I'm now top of the table with a really low NRR, it is going to be a tough tough tough series and season

8. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    had a really good cup win against a better side today, played GFI & won by 27 runs.

the next round in the cup is near impossible made harder by the fact I have difficult away matches in the OD & FC either side of it.

Only way I would be a slight outside chance is if I play GFI again, but need to be full strength in the FC match 2 days later...was going to GFI my OD match on friday because he has a couple of players who have dropped PFL to low levels so I should beat him on GFI.

hmm, decisions decisions...oh yeah, the bloke I am playing in the cup gets except seam ratings on a good day, plays with no spinners so I am setting my pitch to dusty (i have equally good spinners & pacers but normally play H & F) which means for the home FC match tuesday week I can play on a flat / dusty / slow pitch.

any advice / hints would be great - I also considered just putting out a reserve lineup in the cup but I want to win, and the only really scary part of his team are his 2 130k+ BTR FM bowlers.

9. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on how the two monsters are used, you might want to invert your lineup, put the weak bats first and the strong bats in the bottom order. That's a strategy that's had some success on occasion against a Windies team with two Windian NT bowlers that are usually used openers through.

If they're not doing openers through, I wouldn't think you'd want to do that, though... maybe if they open but only do the first ten or twelve overs, you'd want to drop your best bats a bit for protection, but probably not to the extent of completely inverting the order.

10. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007

havent looked too deeply yet into how he plays against similar level teams, but last cup round against a side like mine he bowled them straight through.

I might reverse my batting line up & set all <woeful bats to VA so that they might steal some runs. I have done that before to some effect but not against these sort of monsters.

Another thing I was thinking was to set a bat to VD in the hope that he could last their 20 overs (prob wishful thinking) & let the others score runs.

11. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i've found that by batting second and only chasing a kind of low total my batsmen do better against superior bowlers.

but I don't know if they'd be able to handle a jump in ratings like this.

12. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me that might be counterproductive, as the point of reversing the lineup is to burn the balls bowled by the monsters -- you want your usual tail to hang in as long as possible so that your real batsmen can go to work on non-monsters.

No one bat is going to last the whole 20 overs, unless it's a really good one (like, say, Sarge, and even he's probably only a 50/50 proposition).

13. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i've got Doobie Bombers in my FC match this week. i'm going to get absolutly crushed

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    getting spanked by Doobie Bombers. oh well, knew it was going to happen. at least it'll go to a second day

15. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    ouch.

won by an innings & 191 runs against a newish team, was able to rest 2 bowlers for the important OD match on friday.

16. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i lost by an innings and 303 runs. and i had more people show up on Day 2. i'll take the money and laugh all the way to the bank! kinda hard to bat when your opponent has an elite seam rating and it is bowling friendly conditions. at least I got all the bowling bonus points for getting all 10 wickets in his innings.

17. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless wickets drop a lot more easily in the second innings, my match is headed for a draw. We're 2/3 of the way through day 2, and I've still only got four of their wickets down after declaring at 458-4.

One thing that I wish I could do is set a declaration based on overs rather than runs for my second innings... if I should finish off Slumlords today, instead of guessing at RR, I'd rather be able to pick a number of overs where I would be fairly confident of a draw or a win.

18. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, it would be nice if you could set your declaration to something like

declare with....
    a score of 250
    or
    "x" number of overs left in the day
    or
    "x.xx" is the opponents required run rate to beat you

19. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    oh, and i was bowled for 13 runs the second time around, after getting like 34 runs in the first innings, so wickets do fall easier in the 2nd innings

20. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got up to seven wickets by the close of play. I've been helped immensely by a couple of run-outs. I'm definitely rejiggering my bowling lineup in response to performance, as a guy that I had written off due to poor form was one of my best for economy and also produced two of the wickets.

It still looks like a draw, but there's a glimmer of hope if I can get the other side out quickly tomorrow. I've set a declaration target that I hope will carry through about 60 overs, which would leave me in a situation where I would likely either win or draw.

21. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even remember what my declaration target was, but declaration was timed pretty close to perfect. The required RR was about 4.8, which was enough for me to be fairly confident that I wouldn't lose. So far, that's holding up, as my bowlers are holding Slumlords a bit under 4. With no wickets falling so far, it's a near certainty that we're looking at a draw, but I've at least gotten maximum batting and bowling points out of it (and denied Slumlords their bowling points with my first innings declaration).

22. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    just saw Morrell took 2 wickets! if he starts firing then you could wrap up a nice win.

23. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Dempster strikes and they are 6 wickest down. i think you are going to win this one!

24. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    great win!

what a last day.

and now it is time for our OD match. :)

25. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Craig P, did you check the weather at your home ground this morning? I swear it was sunny an hour ago and now it is partly cloudy and humid. not that it matters since you won the toss, but I was going to bat if I had won because it was sunny.....

and kopite, you need to take some more wickets, they are behind on RR but have a good platform.

End of Over 28: 164-1, runrate=5.86, reqrunrate=7.50 (328-4)
    Nosworth 4-0-22-0
    Allen* 59 (81 balls)
    Reimann 71 (64 balls)