Season 2023 of MLS/Other Teams News Thread (now streaming on BigSoccer+)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Jan 5, 2023.

1. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    But somehow they won , what a night lol

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bad look when a team is openly at war with their fans. The Raps have a hard core of long time loyal fans, and as we saw with the Crew/FratBoi saga, they reach a point where, much as they love the team, they've had enough abuse.

At least Dave Scumbag and his lapdog TwoButtons had the sense to pretend everything was normal.

The difference though is that they and their disgusting lowlife piece of slime boss had an end game; they were going through the motions until they could get out of town. So at bottom they really had no incentive to keep anyone in Columbus happy; they were leaving.

It's hard to see what the Raps are thinking here. They're in an open fight with fans they can't abandon as MLS is never going to let them move.

Very strange.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they ever announce a coach's contract being renewed the day after season ticket renewals were due?

4. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
  5. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  6. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Did he punch you?

7. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sadly, I wasn't out there when he was playing.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Reminiscent of the Fire under Hauptman. Maybe Kroenke sells the Rapids to someone who will at least invest in the team. More likely, the team just continues to spiral down.

9. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Messi and alba both came off injured along with two toronto players. His calf must've been hurt

10. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  11. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then we should have beaten them last weekend.

13. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just fell down the CF Montreal rabbit hole. The most shocking thing I found was The Sun referring to them as MLS Giants

Further digging into what makes an MLS Giant has me believing that there are either a sh!t-load of AI generated articles or most MLS beat writers using this phrase are also Indian Cricket fans.

14. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Which is why we need help. I agree with you and if we don’t start winning road games we will be a 5seed

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1190 Bill Archer, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    I'm just wondering why no one is mentioning that two of Cuchos " hat trick" goals were PK's and the third was on a set piece.

Now I'm the first one to jump eith joy over the Crew scoring a set piece goal for once, but despite the numbers the team as a whole did not score even once from the run of play against a pretty lousy team even after they had two center backs go down.

I also don't believe that you can pencil in Ramirez for next year if he's only going ro be used as a late game garbage time sub. The guy will look elsewhere.

The team is also not getting production out of the big money replacement for Lucas. Rossi works hard and is definitely involved but that's not exactly what he's being paid for.

The tram as a whole should be applauded for their professionalism; the Balls got a whopping five yellows ( and a red for two of them) and otherwise got hacked and whacked from the kick but they kept their cool, which isn't easy. And it's not because they're pussies.

It's a shame they can't get Zawadzki on the pitch more. He's really solid.

Are they ready to admit that Cheba was a dreadful mistake? At this point it looks like they'd play your sister before Nancy put him in a game.

Pay Moreira whatever he wants, and sign Amundson to an extension.

For two guys that Porter had given up on and had one foot out the door (Romania for God's sake) both Matan and Yeboah are showing some real good stuff. It can't just be the new system; at least part of it was that Porter is a shitty coach.

Another solid game from Nagbe. Just saying. Where are all the haters hiding?

Am I the only one who's beginning to worry about our GK? He got bailed out by Camacho a number of times last night from crappy decisions. Again.

Whatever Molino was or wasn't back a couple years, he's nothing right now. He's a black hole into which Bez poured money.

DOGSO and the_rickler repped this.
  16. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    Agree with this part.

I’m not ready to get rid of Cheba yet, it’s easy to say it takes around full season to get used to major league soccer, but some of the mistakes he’s making are just inexcusable, like heading the ball down to the penalty spot in your own defensive box… I just think his confidence is shot now, which is not good because I don’t see a good opponent for him to start against, unless playoff seeding is determined before the last game of the season for the crew. every point matters now and I don’t know if I want him starting against Philly or ATL. Very unfortunate.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    After a full preseason i would say he needs to play better and start by the summer window or we need to ship him out or buy him out. We signed him to a long term deal to be our LCB and if he can’t beat out Amundsen known for being a attacking LWB . Then we need the salary cap relief to find another CB. I’ll be rooting for him to have a good season next year but right now he needs to play sparingly because we can’t afford to drop points from silly mistakes. He looks lost and uncomfortable, his confidence is likely very low so he needs to only play in low pressure situations. Learning a new system , teammates , country ( language?) etc… has to be difficult. I think Nancy rightfully has given him less minutes. We truly lack depth at CB it’s one spot we absolutely need to stay healthy.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reason no one's mentioning it is because this team has scored ten goals in its last three matches. Also, when you're up 3-0 on a dreadful team in 23 minutes, nobody much gives a rat's ass what happens in the remaining 67. I mean, the rest of that match was as clear a case of two teams going through the motions as I've ever seen. And we still had a couple decent chances come out of it despite not really caring that much.

zman31, Paul171121 and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Is a PK a goal?" goes back almost as far as "Is a filet a steak?" on this forum, if not farther.

KHT_Crew repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire being bad spawned a conversation I had during the game. The other person said something about how Chicago was supposed to get a USL team, but MLS nixed it since the Fire took precedence. The other person said something how it wouldn't be surprising to them if the Fire moved to another city. I said that the Rapids have a better chance of moving and there's no chance of that happening.

I then made a comment about how Chicago could have our USL team. This person had no idea USL was in Columbus and then tried to blame the media.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was talk awhile back about Seatgeek in Bridgeview bringing in a USL team. That was particularly true when the Fire bought out their contract and split, and the City fathers were butt hurt about it.

But now I believe the Fire's MLSNext team plays there, as well as whatever the NWSL team is called these days, and with a grass field I can't believe they would even be able to host many more games.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars

23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    There's a USL team in Columbus? I cant find anything on Google. There are several NPSL and UPSL teams, and the Columbus Eagles of the WPSL.

Chicago has a USL-2 team, which is a step below MLSNP in my opinion.

24. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    You mean MLS next pro ? I think your confused

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1200 Kryptonite, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Am I the only one who remembers FC Columbus? Heck, some Nordecke members tried to start some atmosphere their first(?) season when they played in Grandview. Unfortunately, Grandview and/or the team has a strict "no pyro" regulation and things quickly were forgotten about.

I say "first" with the question mark because they claim to have started in 1995, although it seems their first season was more like 2015.

https://www.fccolumbus95.com/

Edit: I thought they were USL-2 or whatever the third tier is, but maybe they're a step below in the fourth tier. Did they bump down?