Season 10 Week 7 Pre/In/Post 6/7-6/12

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by blissett, Jun 14, 2022.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess we can safely say that these boards are at their final death throes, if I have to post a weekly NWSL discussion thread, two days after the week-end has ended. :(

Wanted to ask a question about last week-end matches on the weekly thread, but then I realized there wasn't one and I would have had to create it... :unsure:

Anyway, the NWSL website looks very cryptic to me lately, doesn't even seem able to aptly describe what happened in a match or to just compile an understandable match-sheet.

So, I had to watch highlights of Houston Dash vs Portland Thorns, before I realized the first goal actually was an own goal (Champman, if I remember well). I am not sure, though, about who made the cross in the box that was deflected into goal by Houston's DF: was it Hina Sugita? :cautious:

Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #2 Smallchief, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    It does seem like this board is dying. Just curious, is there another discussion board where people are going? I post occasionally on The Equalizer, which also seems to be dying.

It was Sugita who sent in the cross that resulted in an own goal by Katie Naughton.

blissett repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't post there, but I know Reddit is more active, or at least more active than here.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not posted here often, although I read everything. Smallchief is right, it was Hina with the cross and Naughton with the own goal.

blissett repped this.
  5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im sorry I didn’t make a thread for last week. I had little reception while hiking on vacation last week. I’ll make a week 8 one this week.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I also read Equalizer but do not post.

There is that poster on ES, you know who I'm talking about, who often hijacks an NWSL story and its corresponding forum to post about and push European soccer.
    It irritates the crap out of me.

SiberianThunderT and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've definitely been more active on the NWSL subreddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/NWSL/ the last couple of years. I like Big Soccer as well because I feel like I've known you all for several years even though we are all under usernames. On reddit, it's all anonymous random people, perhaps even bots. I've been more active in general this season because I have a team now(before I would follow my UCLA players on their respective club teams) but yeah, it's sad to see all the OG posters kinda lose interest the last couple of years. This place was really buzzing during the dominance of the North Carolina Courage but I'm afraid all the sexual misconduct and abuse that has since come out has turned off a lot of NWSL fans. Fortunately, I hope all those abusers are now gone and this league can start a new chapter again. There's still a lot going on with Portland Thorns and NCC regarding a certain someone.

I was hoping the old LA Sol fans would come back and be like "Hey we have a team again yay!". But once a forum is dead, its incredibly difficult to get it popular again.

I shall do my best to at least get a weekly discussion thread started and a good handful of people on here still do post at least once a week so there's that.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just this forum; it's all of BS as a whole, so I don't think it's NWSL specific.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've asked you on another post, don't know if you have read it, but since you have been a UCLA fan for a while, do you have a comment or an opinion on Amanda Cromwell's and Sam Greene's suspension at Orlando Pride?

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I do. But you don’t want to hear it

MRAD12 repped this.
  11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I would love to hear it (or at least if the suspension/likely termination is warranted). It is obvious who the player was involved, as one was just bought out and released (likely by mutual agreement).

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looked up the transfer thread here, but this info is not mentioned: which player Orlando recently released?

14. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who would have thought at the beginning of the season, that at international break the Red Stars would be in 1st place. Especially considering all the players they have lost since last season, transfers, releases, trades, maternity leaves, many injuries. Most of their starting core from a year ago is out or gone and still...

NWSL Team Standings | National Women's Soccer League (nwslsoccer.com)

17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That’s just freaking sucks! Not eligible to play? Who is doing their homework before having her come and play or is there some cover up and get rid of her?

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    My assumption is that she is the player who was retaliated against, and that she wanted out. If the coach is guilty of this, they probably wanted to help her move on (assuming she requested it). The phrasing of her buyout implies to me that she was paid out her full contract, so she made out financially and can go play in another league now.

Klingo3034 and CoachJon repped this.
  20. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Holy Guacamole! Sauerbrunn got a goal.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I don't have any insider info on this investigation. From doing a little research, it seems like Amy Turner was retaliated against by Amanda Cromwell as she is no longer part of the club anymore.

There's always been a lot of controversy surrounding Cromwell ever since the college admissions scandal a few years back where a young woman made the roster of the UCLA team as a favor from the men's UCLA coach, granted that woman was just the team manager or something and didn't actually play on the field.

I did find it interesting that Cromwell immediately left the UCLA job after the team failed in the first round of the NCAA tournament and there wasn't really a clear explanation as to why other than new staff hires didn't want her around(likely due to the admissions scandal a few years back) and she realized that she was better off leaving.

Then I found it interesting that she decided to become a NWSL coach for Orlando Pride(when there was an opening for the ACFC gig back in August and she was part owner of that club) which indicates to me that her decision to leave UCLA in November was pretty sudden.

Finally, she gets her star college player Mia Fishel in the draft for her Orlando team but Mia Fishel decides not to play for her old college coach and signs for the Tigres instead. To me, that definitely had a lot more than just money but perhaps she frankly didn't want to play for Amanda Cromwell.

I also just recently found out that Amanda Cromwell ended up marrying one of her former players she coached(I don't really find that ethical or appropriate even if it's after the fact) and the woman, I think her name is Fish does all the vlogging content for Angel City FC. I mean she looks to be in her 20s so its hard to not believe there was some kind of grooming that went on.

Anyway, all in all, Amanda Cromwell should kiss her coaching career goodbye as this is probably the last straw.

MRAD12 and Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abrupt change of topic:
    Game Report – Angel City at Racing Louisville 6/11/22, Attendance 6,139 [3-2 W for AC]

This report is late because I left to go camping 2 days after getting home from my KC-STL-LOU trip. As is my custom, mostly I will note things that you probably couldn’t see on TV or in the game highlights.

*My impression of Lynn Family Stadium is that it is what Sahlen’s Stadium in Rochester could have been.

*The crowd was much less boisterous than at KC; partly due to the Lavender Legion not having the critical mass needed to drive the energy.

*As a comparison, the KC stadium was about 43% full on 6/4 and the LOU stadium was about 53% full on 6/11, which might suggest the intensity at LOU might have been greater than it was. Both had fans spread throughout. KC has seats at both ends, while LOU has one open end. While KC had an on-field host televised on the big screens at each end for pregame activities (including quiz contests with fans), LOU had a disembodied public address voice making announcements.

*The River City Drum Corps played before the game and played at the supporters end during the game, but they were not in synch with the supporter’s drums or chants.

Soccerwise:
    *I thought LOU missed Cece Kizer. Frequently in the first half when midfielders won the ball near midfield and drove toward goal, the pass was wrong, too late, or not made, and the attacker took an ill-advised shot. Kizer used to be the open attacker under such circumstances & without her, the players were unsure of where the ball should go.

*At the start, the sun was directly in Didi Haracic’s eyes – by directly, I could see the shadows were exactly parallel to the touchlines. After the 15th minute, the sun was down far enough so it was not a factor.

*Emily Fox started on the right and in the second half, I noted they switched her so she would be on Simone Charley’s side, a good move I think as Nealy Martin was having problems as left fullback.

*Like most folks, I really enjoy watching Savannah DeMelo play.

*From my in-person view, Press’s injury seemed to follow incidental contact from the opponent – the Ref did not call a foul (…this year, of course, it is hard to fully trust the referee’s judgement…). Press stayed down a lot longer than I would have expected, given the light contact and not having a hard fall. ACL injuries suck.

Back to ambience:
    *In the concourse, a set of player portraits (maybe 15 in. wide by 24 in. tall) is displayed, each labelled as either a starter or substitute – I liked that.

*I saw only “Press” named jerseys or tee shirts, no Fox, Nadim, Ekic, etc. Maybe that is because of where I was sitting, on the bench side of the stadium.

*There were at least two concession stands for Bourbon – one for Makers Mark, and I apologize, I don’t remember the other.

*A similarity to Sahlens’ stadium in Rochester is that the players must cross the concourse to walk between the field and locker room – so when the lane is cordoned off you need to walk all the way around to get to the other side. They use two parallel ropes on each side, so the fans cannot get near the players, unlike Sahlens where there was just a single rope on each side.

*After the game, many more players went to the stands (on both teams) to sign autographs than at KC. Tyler Lussi was the first to head to the corner where a bunch of Angel City fans were located.

*Cari Roccaro (AC) and Jess McDonald (LOU) walked across the field together and stood together while signing autographs.

*Savannah McCaskill spent a lot of time post-game chatting with Nadia Nadim and many of her ex-teammates many 1 to 1 and some groups of 2 or 3.

So now, I have seen all 12 NWSL teams live in one location or another. I do love the games.
    -CJ

MRAD12, lil_one, 59Amerinorsk and 6 others repped this.