Season 10 Week 12 Pre/In/Post 7/29-7/31

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by McSkillz, Jul 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL returns this week! Discussion for this weekend's NWSL matches.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Getting ready to get on the train and head out to the lake front of Chicago. Big day! I really hope most of the Fire fans stick around to watch the Red Stars vs Wave game afterwards. Hope for a good showing from both Chicago teams.

According to my Fire rep and people I've talked to there will be lots of activities, many tailgates and of course Lollapalooza up the street on lake Shore Drive.

Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can share some views on this doubleheader.

cpthomas and blissett repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Helluva good game between OL Reign and Los Angeles. OL's anemic offense finally showed some life, thanks to Fishlock, Huerta, and Heath. Welcome back, Tobin! Player of the match: Huerta. Welcome back from Mexico!

This was Huitema's first match with OL, and I thought she looked pretty good -- although she missed a couple of shots she should should have put on frame. Kim Little is still a good player, but I'm not sure she's as good now as she was five or so years ago when she was with the Reign. Quinn had a good game.

McSkillz, Klingo3034 and ytrs repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does anyone know if newly signed Japanese international Fuka Nagano already joined North Carolina Courage, after she finished playing EAFF East Asian Cup with Nadeshiko Japan NT last week? I didn't see her in the roster of Friday's game vs Washington Spirit, but I would be curious to know if she's at least already working with the team. :coffee:

Also, @cpthomas, what can you say now about Hina Sugita, after seeing her play for half a season in Portland? Was I right in thinking that the Thorns weren't going to drop positions with her in the midfield? :)

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hina has been great, fit right in with the Thorns with absolutely no trouble at all. As a bonus, she has turned out to be the far side player on set pieces near the goal and corner kicks and has scored goals from there, including on rebounds. She also is very popular with the fans. Her integration into the team as a regular starter, so quickly, has been stunning.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  6. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #6 Smallchief, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    The Racing Louisville/OL Reign was one of the most one-sided games I've seen. OL dominated, yet Louisville had a chance of winning it. Overall, a messy foul-fest.

OL: 61 percent possession, 25 shots, 11 of them on goal (a record of futility), 1 goal Racing: 6 shots, 1 on goal, 1 goal. Lund, the Racing goalie, is undoubtedly the player of the match.

DeMelo of Lousville continued to be the most fouled player in the NWSL. 5 in this match. Bonner looked the victim of combat after a head clash that resulted in her having a big bandage on her head. She stayed in the match nevertheless, and even headed a couple of balls. A silver star to her for bravery. Fox for Louisville had a lousy game and left at the half after getting a bloody nose. What was wrong with her?

Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I just checked the box score and it said Rapinoe playe 76 minutes. How did she do over extended playing time? She has not seen minutes like that in ages. I missed the game. Thank you for any insight on her impact on the game.

8. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the answer to that is Rapinoe was Rapinoe. She saw a lot of the ball, she took several shots, mostly hopeful shots from long distance, she took corner kicks, and she lobbed a lot of crosses into the box to Huitema, who despite many chances in the last two games can't seem to buy a goal.

Rapinoe was obviously frustrated with the ref and with perhaps good reason. Early in the game DeMelo grabbed her jersey and everybody in the audience from a mile away saw it, but the ref was apparently contemplating her navel and didn't give DeMelo a yellow card, or even call it a foul. Rapinoe also argued with the ref on several other occasions. (Speaking of DeMelo, she is Louisville's best player. I'm very high on her for a National Team callup.)

It wasn't one of Rapinoe's better games, but if she is creaky and old it didn't show.

ytrs repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For OL Region, the Louisville game is one of those where you say, If you do not make your chances when you get them, bad things can happen. OL needed a win in this game, dominated the stats, and came away with only a point. I guess you can say a point is good in an away game, but this was more one of those nightmare games for them.

Yes, they now are in 4th place, but two of the teams ahead of them and the two just behind have a game in hand, so if the two behind can win their next games, then OL will be in 7th.

I do want to give credit to Louisville. I thought they looked pretty decent against the Thorns in their previous game and in the latter part of the OL game, Louisville looked much better than earlier in the game and actually had one huge chance to win. So notwithstanding their record, I think they coud be a threat to anyone in an individual game.

ytrs and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

Yesterday's game between Portland and NCC was crazy. Funny thing is Debinha was raising her hand for offsides on Daniels her own teammate on last goal for NCC. LOL!

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #11 hotjam2, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    what’s the deal with Diane Ordoñez? She’s currently the leagues 3rd leading scorer, got a very wicked header game despite only 20 years old. Born in Riverside CA, played up to u20 for US Youth, should of been under Vlatko’s radar. yet joined the Mexican NT instead(which is going nowhere).
    Did she move up the ladder a little too quickly?(Or either we did an very poor scouting job or just dumb move on her part)

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've been wondering the same. Ordonez has seven goals in her last six games in the NWSL. That's impressive for any forward anywhere.

13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Could be a good replacement for Meghan Rapinoe or Alex Morgan. But got to do it quick since she’s turning 21 in September. Can’t change teams after that.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ordonez joined the senior Mexican NT two months ago & played in an major competition(Concacaf) for them. Unless rules have changed, it would make her ineligible to switch sides

JanBalk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That’s too bad but I’m sure it would help Mexico in the long run.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Another week with three draws. If you think we're seeing a lot of draws this year - you're right! So far, we've seen 29 draws in 83 games (35%), with the drawingest team (DC) having 9 draws in 15 games (60%); last year, we had 31 draws in 120 games (26%) with the drawingest team (NJY) having 11 draws in 24 games (46%). For the record, you usually expect 20-25% of games to be draws, with the drawingest team having about 30-35% of their games as draws.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's a perfectly cromulent word. :coffee:

59Amerinorsk and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Exciting draws though especially Portland vs NCC and Orlando vs Angel.

KC Current still surprises me.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Ironic you mentioned NJY - they have ZERO draws this year - only team with none! Talk about an extreme law of averages! LOL

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.