Season 10 Week 1 Pre/In/Post 4/30-5/1

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by McSkillz, Apr 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome everyone to opening weekend of NWSL in a historical 10th season! Obviously my LA team started off with a bang last night with a surprising win over NC Courage but can’t wait to see how the other games go this weekend.

Slightly off topic, I have been following the womens professional league since it was the old WPS with LA Sol as my team. I was beyond heartbroken when we lost LA Sol after one season with our almost perfect performance. When the NWSL came to be a few years later, we didn’t initially get a LA team and with the development of LAFC, Mia Hamm and their new stadium, I feel like a LA team was eminent. I got my dream back in 2020 when it was announced and to see it come to fruition with that amazing atmosphere and opening brought tears to my eyes.

We still have a long way to go but it seems like womens soccer is getting a popularity surge now.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mentioned in the predictions thread feeling validated that I put LA higher in my list than either of the journos did; after watching POR destroy KC, I also feel validated in thinking that the Central Division was noticeably weaker than either the East or West.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with you on Portland having destroyed Kansas City, I am being a little cautious about how I assess Kansas City given they were short a bunch of players due to injuries. On the other hand, it looked like KC was pretty clueless on attack, mostly trying to go over the top for a player to run on to the ball and out-speed the Portland defenders, which they were not able to do. It was as if their attack is designed for Lynn Williams up top, but she has had a season ending injury so that does not make sense now if it ever did. Sadly, in addition it appeared to me that Mal Weber may have suffered a serious injury -- a classic non-contact pivot and then down on the ground holding her knee. It did not look good when it happened and did not look good after the match, either.

A couple of Portland notes: If you can, keep an eye on Hina Sugita. She is silky smooth with the ball and is really fun to watch. And, watch rookie Sam Coffey, who is playing mostly the defensive mid position. She has integrated into the team and this level of play really well.

4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, based on one-half of regular season play, Sanchez and Rodman are just fabulous. What else can you say? Sanchez seems to get better with every game. Rodman has great physical gifts. And then of course there's Hatch who's always lurking around to pick up a loose ball. Quite a trio for Washington.

Klingo3034 and CoachJon repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Unfortunately, a rare error from Kingsbury lets Reign find an equalizer.

60', Spirit does a large three-sub change; the Spirit's front three not any of the ones being changed

Klingo3034 repped this.
  6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Taking on OL Reign is not easy and yet Washington pretty much own them.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course, as the Nadeshiko Japan resident fan, I already always do. Any special reason why she only was an Half-Time sub on Saturday, as far as you know? Somehow recovering from the covid-protocol stop? :cautious:

Also, does anyone know why Yuki Nagasato didn't play in Chicago yesterday? She wasn't on the pitch nor on the bench, but she isn't listed on Availability or Disciplinary Reports either. o_O

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  8. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Wondering the same thing. Perhaps an excused absence? Hope to see her this coming Saturday night at Seat Geek stadium vs. Washington Spirit! We need her!

blissett repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, my understanding is that she and Sophia Smith both were second half subs to work them back in post- their covid protocol pause. Looking at their roster, however, I am thinking that there is going to be rotation among the forwards and among the mid-fielders in terms of who is starting and who is coming on as a sub. They have a lot of talent there and I can see them distributing rest time among the players throughout the season.

blissett repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One thing I just noticed: despite a draw-heavy Challenge Cup, not a single draw on opening weekend! I'd have to double-check, but I think that's a first?

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, they're basically the present/future front line of the USWNT so yeah Washington Spirit hit the jackpot in that sense.

59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Funny thing is Ashley Sanchez didn’t look happy when she got selected in the draft in the first place.

13. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Good point! Add in Sophia Smith and it looks promising for US WNT:)

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, at the time of her being drafted, the Spirit were on a three-season playoffs drought, and were an independent team (and one that appeared to lack ambition on top of it) at a time when MLS-backed teams seemed to be the future of NWSL.

McSkillz and Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Imagine if Spirit had Sophia Smith, Trinity Rodman and Ashley Sanchez on the team at the same time.:)

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As the team came on the field many of us were wondering where is Yuki?

blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I can only hope she gets better soon! :ninja:

McSkillz and MRAD12 repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper