Sea Biscuit [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by wu-tang beez, Jul 30, 2003.

1. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Sea Biscuit [r] serious spoilers
    This movie is a Gary Ross adaptation from the novel written by, Laura Hillenbrand, whom suffers from the same medical condition of fmr womens US National Captain, Michelle Akers. Whereas Michele led the nats to victory over China in ’99, the author wrote this renowned work from her bed.

It follows the fable of a scholarly jockey Red Pollard, in this case a flaming red-haired Tobey McGuire, an underperforming thoroughbred Sea Biscuit(son of Man of War another legendary horse) and the hopes of man from the end of the rolling 20’s thru the great depression. It’s a great underdog, motivational type film that has the theme of every person has value, if they just find it and push it, then their beauty shines thru.

In the beginning we see Charles Howard, played by Jeff Bridges, leaving his job as an underused guild crafts worker laboring on Ford’s model-T assembly line and heading west to become a very wealthy successful Buick Dealership owner. Tom Smith, played by the consummate oscar actor Chris Cooper from American Beauty & Adaptation, is a Don Xiote cowboy; a drifter from the old west that, instead of windmills, is battling the internal combustion engine. Cooper, Bridges and McGuire unwittingly converge in Tijuana; all three down on their luck-Mcguire having lost his dad who became a train riding hobo, Cooper lost his open range, Bridges lost his wife following their son’s death in an auto accident when he taught him to drive as an adolescent.

About that time Bridges abandons cars, meets a future wife and buys a lazy, ill tempered horse on the suggestion of Cooper. He then hires McGuire as the jockey, seeing that both have an inextinguishable desire to win. The volatile reaction thru alchemy makes gold from a worthless beggar’s tin flask and becomes a legend that inspires millions of people, grasping for heroes-like they did w/ Orphan Annie and the comic book superheroes of the golden age. The only opposition they’ve yet to best was another legend War Admiral, who was tearing up the eastern derbies w/ it’s braggart, millionaire owner who refused initially to race them. Fate, and a lot of drum beating and stump stopping by AM radio tzar, Tick Tock McLaughlin played by William H. Macy from Fargo. O ye betcha he takes comic relief to a whole new level. In life sometimes dreams come true and Sea Biscuit triumphs over War Admiral as 40 million Americans tune in.

Tragically, McGuire whom himself was injured prior to the race breezing another horse, finds himself unable to compete for the match and is replaced by an old colleague from Mexico. Then Sea Biscuit takes a tumble and the 2 are both down and out. Eventually they mend their spirits and come back to race again. The audience actually cheered and clapped DURING the film for this one. You’ll love it!

2. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I hope you threw your popcorn on the wankers.

3. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    that would req me 2 buy some 1st & since my time as a low concession/doorman was spent hating both the owners of the theatre and the customers walking in, I refuse to spend $1 more than the price of admission. Plus, those little space monkeys behind the counter do wicked things to the food while you're not looking.

the parts where they cheered were after a race scene & a couple others.

4. goalsaurus

goalsaurus New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Florida
    Really well-done movie that gets you caught up in the spirit.

Not so much that you cheer for spillage though. No one did that in my theater.

I had to go pick up that book after seeing it, cause I wanted even more. Lots of differences, and even more hardships that they don't have time to touch upon during the film.

I'm sure the three leads will get Oscar consideration.