SD WFC Open 2005 Season Against Mexican NT

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by nordby1, Feb 9, 2005.

1. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    SEALIONS OPEN 2005 SEASON WITH INTERNATIONAL DOUBLEHEADER

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad to see this. I wonder where the games will be played, and at what times...

3. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    SeaLions Announce Times & Locations For Mexican NT DH

That information was posted yesterday at the WPSL site:

SeaLions Announce Times & Locations for Mexico Women's National Team Doubleheader

February 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA – The San Diego WFC women's soccer team will host the Mexican Women's National Team in two matches to open the 2005 WPSL season. The first game, Thursday, February 24, kicks off at 7:05 p.m. at Escondido High School Stadium, 1535 N. Broadway, Escondido, CA 92026.

The finale will be played on Saturday, February 26, 2005 at 7:05 p.m. at DeVore Stadium, Southwestern College, 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910. Ticket prices for each of the matches are $10 for adults and $5 for children (under 12). Admission is free for kids wearing their youth league soccer uniforms.

4. Mexicana

Mexicana New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Mexico City
    It's so sad that in Mexico we have to know about our WNT games thanks to foreign news. I'm still waiting for the Mexican Federation to confirm the two games against San Diego on its oficial web site.

If it weren't for a press interview with the NT coach a month ago, we woudn't know that our team is getting ready to play at the Algarve Cup, and thanks to all you guys, I'm finally getting "first hand" news about my National Team.

5. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from an article in this mornings U-T, entitled The Heat is On

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Mexican NT Roster

Is there any information available yet about Mexico's roster for tomorrow's match?

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen anything about who Leo Cuellar will be bringing.

And the Sea Lions WPSL site still has the same 13 players listed on a roster, several of which I haven't heard of (Judy Barragan, Adriana Carranza, Christine Sanporo?) one who didn't play last year (Sherice Anders) and one who wasn't with the team (Tiffany Mears).

The piece on the teams own website mentioned a few other players (Amy Sauer, Noelle Jouglet, and Chrissy Sanford (maybe that Sanporo listed above is supposed be her, just a typo?)

8. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feb 26th Game Result [R]

I'll post a lot more on the game tomorrow, but wanted to get in a little bit tonight. Las Tricoloras had a much tougher time against the SDWFC this time, as they were only able to win by a 1-0 score. They did have more of the play, along with more of the good scoring chances, but Lu Snyder (along with some help along the goal line from Amy Sauer in 2 occasions) either made saves or forced off-target shots after an early goal by #16, Juana Evelyn Lopez Luna. The Sea Lions played very well, considering that they hadn't had much time to practice. And they actually had a very good chance to score a tying goal, but just missed a shot at the end of a nice combination of passes that broke down the Mexican central defense.

There was a very nice sized crowd, somewhere around 1,000 plus I would say. And the Sea Lions put together a large roster for the game, with lots of players from last year, along with some surprises - like Ronnie Fair! I'll post the full line-ups tomorrow...

9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes on rosters – just about everyone played for the Sea Lions, and all of the numbers on their jerseys seemed to correspond to who they were. The roster listed for Mexico did not in some obvious cases, so I can’t be sure about any of them. Because of that, I’ll be listing the numbers of those who started, and sometimes put a question mark at the start of a player’s name. A number of those on the roster (Worbis, Mora, etc.) did not play – I think that Coach Cuellar wanted a look at his younger attacking players.

Starters for SDWFC
    01 Lu Snyder, K, SDSU
    02 Judy Barragan, D, San Marcos HS
    03 Sherice Anders, M, USD
    06 Amy Sauer, D, Stanford
    07 Michele Wagner, M, SDSU
    09 Lorrie Fair, M, Stanford
    10 Adrianna Carranza, M, Orange Glen HS
    12 Briana Betshart, F, Humboldt St.
    14 Christy Callier, F, USC
    16 Tiffany Mears, D, San Bernardino St.
    22 Danica Carey, M, Nebraska

Substitutes (in order of appearance in game)
    04 Annabel Benitez, F, no school listed
    18 Laura Castellanos, M, USD
    17 Noelle Jouglet, M SDSU
    21 Amanda Lehr, M, Duke
    15 Chrissy Sanford, F, Azusa Pacific
    05 Amanda Esquivel, M, Preuss HS, Costa Rica NWT
    20 Maria Scheirman, D, Portland
    08 Lizzy Coghill, M, Notre Dame
    11 Aurora Quiroz, M, Preuss HS
    13 Kristin Rogers, D, SDSU
    00 Silva Arias, K, Pasadena CC, Costa Rica NWT

Starters for Mexico
    03 field player, but listed as keeper Jennifer Marie Molina Shea, Colgate
    04 listed as Elizabeth Patricia Gomez Randall, Univ. of Miami
    but actually was Monica Christine Gonzalez Canales
    06 Unknown, listed as Gonzalez
    07 Maria de Jesus Castillo Nicacio, Palomas
    08 Luz del Rosario Saucedo Soto, Copa Dusa
    09 Rubi Marlene Sandoval Nungaray, CSU Fullerton
    10 Patricia Perez Pena, Guadalajara
    11 Fatima Leyva Moran, Laguna
    12 listed as Monica Vergara Rubio, Andreas Soccer
    but actually was worn by the keeper (Molina?)
    15 Maria Lourdes Gordillo Madariaga, Andreas Soccer
    16 Juana Evelyn Lopez Luna, Necaxa FR

Substitutes (in order of their number)
    01 Pamela Tajonar Alonzo, Caudillas
    02 Sophia Perez Pedroso, SDSU
    05 Jessica Roxanna Romero Hicks, SDWFC
    13 Dioselina Valderrama Reyes, Bonita Rebels
    14 Rebecca Abigail Juarez Bazan, Arsenal
    17 Alexandrea Rebecca Mendoza Sosa, Sting Soccer
    18 Leticia Connie Villalpando Garcia, Santa Anita Strikers
    19 Christine Yvette Nieva Archundia, Sting Soccer
    20 Teresa Guadalupe Worbis Aguilar, Rogers
    21 Carmenita Diotilde Padilla Cisneros, Univ. of Pacific
    22 Iris Adriana Mora Vallejo, UCLA
    23 Leslie Anne Munoz Valdes, CSU Fullerton

Miscellaneous impressions of the game atmosphere: There were Mexican announcers for the game, along with a 12-person group of Mariachis to do the national anthems and entertain at half-time. And the large crowd was mostly Latino, with maybe a little over half of it not being adults. Everyone obviously had a good time – even though there was only the one goal, there was lots of action, with some good saves and a number of near-missed goals that went high or wide for both sides. After the game, everyone was allowed on the field, and got to talk to the players, get autographs, or pose for pictures with their favorites. There were still a fair number of people on the field 30 minutes after the game ended.

I was able to get re-acquainted with a number of people who were at some of the games last year, and met some more of the families of the Sea Lion players. We were all glad that the team was able to improve on the first few minutes of the game (and on the game that the teams had played in Mexico last year.) It’s fairly obvious that the team will be stronger than it was last year (and will have to be, playing the Storm and Spiders twice each).

I’m only going to give a few impressions of the game itself, maybe later posting more about what I though of the play of the new additions to the SDWFC.

The ref let a Mexican player get a way with a nasty foul from behind early in the game, a foul that caused Christy Callier to sit on the bench the rest of the evening (she was replaced by Benitez). I hope that she will be okay. The Sea Lions had early shots by Carranza and Anders go wide. Lu Snyder came out on one breakaway attempt, forcing the forward to take a shot that hit the post – and Sauer was there to clear the rebound shot off the line. The start of the second half saw a number of new players come on for the SDWFC (including Sanford and Jouglet) and that seemed to help the team get a larger share of the play (and the ref seemed to be willing to let the Sea Lions get away with more physical play than in the first half.). Chrissy was involved in all of the most dangerous plays for the team, 2 of them ending up in shots by Fair and Quiroz, and 1 that she took herself.

10. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Re: Feb 26th Game Result [R]

If not for the outstanding play of Lu Snyder and Amy Sauer, the score could have very easily been 4-0 Mexico after 45 minutes. The SeaLions defense played much better in the second half and I was really impressed at times with the play of defender Tiffany Mears who as Tsunami mentioned in an earlier post wasn't on the WFC roster last season.

I did a couple of quick searches to find more information about Mears and discovered that along with playing for the Rochester Reign of the WPSL last season it looks like she has spent some time playing in Europe as well. Mears was included on the roster of the English club Doncaster Belles LFC (Tiffany Mears Pic) and there was also some information at a German site about an American defensive midfielder named Tiffany Mears who was playing for VfL Wolfsburg:

http://www.presseportal.de/story_rss.htx?nr=585066

11. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thanks for posting the WFC starting 11. I know that at times it can be difficult to tell them apart, but it was actually Ronnie Fair and not her twin sister Lorrie who started for WFC last night ;).

Seeing Ronnie warming up with the WFC before the match was the big surprise of the evening for me. As I was leaving the house last night something compelled me to grab my "Gro" (Espeseth) custom New York Power cap even though I had no idea that one of Gro's former Power teammates would be playing in the match. :cool:

I was really impressed too with how well Ronnie played last night especially considering the fact that she hadn't been practicing with the team. In fact Ronnie said after the match that even though she now lives in San Diego County, she is actually still listed on the California Storm roster.

12. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Mexican Media Coverage

The atmosphere of last night's match was great. I noticed a small television crew from the local Univision station KBNT channel 17 there last night and was pleasantly surprised to see that the match was the top sports story covered on that station's 11 PM news. :cool:

Some highlights of the match were shown including Amy Sauer's header that saved a goal along with one of Lu Snyder's saves and Danica Carey's hard tackle from behind that resulted in a yellow card. There were also several nice crowd shots and some of the Mexican fans were interviewed as well.

I don't know if last night's match received coverage on any of the other San Diego TV stations, but I found it to be very disappointing to not find any mention at all of the match in this morning's San Diego Union-Tribune. :mad:

13. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooops! :eek: I did mention Ronnie when I did my first post, don't know why I ended up having 'Lorrie on the brain.'

Since the two threads might end up far apart later, I'm going to list the link to the Game Photos again. Great shots!

14. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    SD WFC - Mexican National Team Match Report

A match report has been posted at the SeaLions website:

http://www.sandiegowfc.com/

At the end of the report there is a reminder that the 2005 season starts just one month from today. :cool: