Scouting Report Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BeloHorizante

BeloHorizante Member

May 27, 2005
    I was surprised he was not taken out at half. He clearly wasn't fit, and down 3 goals, it seems a substitution to A) protect him from further injury, and B) shore up defense so it doesn't get more embarrassing; would have been the move. True, he didn't end up getting injured, but he played 45 more minutes of soccer than was necessary, in less than ideal conditions, and now has to travel into the rainforest.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  3. Churchdown Yank

Jan 14, 2006
    Gloucester UK
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping that Bradley and the rest of the team pick it up a bit with the passing and the ball possession vs. Portugal. We won't go far without some improvement there...

CTS26 and Winoman repped this.
  4. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If USA is smart enough, then they should go through. It is really easy to draw against this team. I thought they had the maturity they showed in Euro 2012 but it seems that's not the case.

5. BeloHorizante

BeloHorizante Member

May 27, 2005
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Pepe punished with only a 1-game suspension for his red card, so he'll be available to face Ghana:

Pepe punido com um jogo

Dr. Gamera and orcrist repped this.
  8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until Portugal announces CR7 is out, I am assuming he is fully fit for Sunday. No way am I getting hopes up on his being out.

Winoman repped this.
  9. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optimist or not, there is no way CR is fully fit.

10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Grant Wahl tweeted the following this afternoon: "Pretty straightforward: Expect Cristiano Ronaldo to play vs. USA on Sunday. Don't expect Altidore to be ready to play."

So apparently icing your knee doesn't mean your leg needs to be amputated, thank goodness.

bigtoga and MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Winoman repped this.
  12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    No one was saying that, I don't know why you're being so hostile and sarcastic and arguing against things no one has said..

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His team is on the verge of being bounced from the WC..

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  14. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Or on the verge of clinching qualification with wins vs. USA and GHA.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves; there is still everything to play for in Group G.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not. The guy is agitated because he is thinking of the worst result probably.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So anyway!

I'm late to this party, would someone who is reasonable please share with me the info on the likely replacements for Portugal's players who are out for the game?

17. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Exactly. I'm fine with an ailing CR7 playing against the US. Given how out-of-sorts he looked against Germany, they might just be a better team without him.

18. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    I think probably Neto for Pepe, Andre Almeida for Coentrao, Eder for Hugo Almeida, and, just a guess, Beto for Rui Patricio.

chad and ImaPuppy repped this.
  19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Veloso shifted to LB, Neto from Zenit to replace Pepe most likely, a very good CB but not world class (started key qualifier vs Russia and shut down Dzgoev, kerzakov, and kokorin)...maybe the two very talented young players in William Carvalho and Rafa will play in midfield....but who knows. Bento might stick to his tried and tested veterans. Unfortunately.

chad repped this.
  20. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard on Univision Deportes, I'm not sure if its posted already but apparently CR7's personal doctors have seriously recommended to CR7 trhat he should quit playing for atleast 2 months or he is in serious danger of damaging his knee.

21. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Again, the doctor who apparently was quoted came out and said he never talked to El Confidential, where all this started.

22. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Just for context, shutting out Russia in Portugal became a little less impressive after South Korea, of all teams, managed to hold Russia to one goal on a neutral field in Brazil with their dire defense.

23. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see this posted above--Mourinho says it was dumb to broadcast Portugal training and he takes about every position possible regarding CR's knee. http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cu...-broadcasting-cristiano-ronaldo-training-woes

This whole thing is starting to look like a disinformation campaign to keep us guessing. The invasion's in Normandy, the invasion's in Calais, no, really it's in Calais.

That's a kind of progress for the USA. In the old days, no one would have bothered.

24. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Knowing what I know, it looks more like some people were truly incompetent while preparing this WC, but of course it's easy to criticize after things go wrong. As far as I know, Mourinho has no real interest in helping the NT right now. There are many parallels with 2002. Again, many of us were taken by the hype.