Scouting Report on the EPL Promoted Teams

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by dmax, Jul 18, 2005.

1. dmax

dmax New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't know much about the newly promoted teams except some info I've read. Who do you think will do best and where do you see them placing in the table by year's end?

2. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    For me West Ham and Sunderland should stay up with the Premiership new boys Wigan Athletic going down. West Ham and Sunderland have played in the Premiership for many years before being relegated a couple of seasons ago when Bolton beat out Glenn Roeder's West Ham to stay safe. Sunderland on the other hand have I think the second or third biggest stadium in England known as the Stadium of Light with a capacity of around 53,000 and have an excellent chance of staying because of their manager, McCarthy. He coached Ireland to success in the 2002 World Cup when they lost to Spain on penalties. West Ham have players who have Premier experience such as Teddy Sheringham and are a big name in English football. My prediction this year is that West Brom, Wigan Athletic, and possibly either Portsmouth or Blackburn go down.

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's the Stadium of Shite, and it's third biggest with 48,000, which has never been sold out apart from the tyne-wear derby.

They have no money and a team made of rejects and old men..oh and they are managed by Lurch from the addams family

Sunderland 20th come May 06

4. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya gotta love them Geordies, like.

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Love Geordies

Hate Mackems
    :D :D :D

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sunderland look like they will struggle to score goals.

Wigan just can't seem to persuade any good players to sign for them this summer.

West Ham were the weakest team of the three, but have spent good money on better players. Not sure how they'll do.

7. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    You only say that because you love the Magpies! Hahaha. LOL.

8. vancouversoccerman

vancouversoccerman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
    I know it's just a friendly, but Sunderland was wacked 3-0 by the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night. Their back four was a comedy of errors, and McCarthy was not pleased. On an upside, Millar looked good in goal in the first half, which is important because Poom won't be healthy to start the season. Sunderland's biggest problem is in the back, so Millar should see lots of shots.

9. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

LMAO

ahhh it's nice to know the mackems can still produce some of the finest results :D :D

10. Colin Bell the King

Colin Bell the King New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Wythenshawe
    I want Wigan and Sunderland to stay up, as it means fairly easy to get to local games.

11. salmacis

salmacis Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Oxford, UK
    To be honest, all three look like they're starting at a significant disadvantage to the other 17. Yes, even the likes of West Brom and Portsmouth.

Sunderland were the best team in the division last year, but they haven't recruited quality. To me, they look like they're trying to emulate what West Brom did three years ago - use the money to build an even better Championship side and make a determined push to stay up next time they get promoted. They have one of the best stadia in the country, but that's not going to keep them up. At this stage, certainties for the drop.

Wigan have come from nowhere, but have the money to compete. They won't survive without buying a few players, but they are having difficulty finding players who want to join a team that currently looks doomed. If they can make the signings, they will have a chance.

West Ham are difficult to assess. They have a decent top level pedigree over the last 50 years, and the name and location alone will help in signing big names. They look like they need big names because a team finishing 6th (IIRC) in the Championship has something to prove.

If you're a betting person, bet on these three to go down as the most likely outcome. That isn't to say all three will go down. Chances are, based on past seasons, one will survive. The difficulty is picking which team will survive and which current team they will replace.

12. faceless freak

faceless freak New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    i wouldn't be surprised if West Ham beat out Blackburn to stay up this year.

Sunderland, Wigan & Blackburn to go down.