Scouting Report: Ghana

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What is it with all these US analyses with players notoriously played out of their position.

Jordan Ayew as a right winger?
    Samuel Inkoom as a substitute centreback?
    Acquah as the substitute right back?
    Mubarak as a substitue right winger?
    Rabiu as the box to box midfielder with Essien as the destroyer?
    Andre Ayew and Majeed Waris as left wingers? No mention of Asamoah there, instead he's placed as the starting left back?
    Also: Why are analysts so certain Kevin Prince Boateng will start?
    And whats with the fixation on a Muntari - Essien pivot? Ghana used it twice during the Egypt playoff, but thats because players like Rabiu were injured.
    Are only the analysts clueless as to where these players play for the Ghana national team or does the US coaching team also have it all mixed up?

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/u-s-vs-ghana-asn-s-deep-dive-tactical-breakdown

2. Cookham

Cookham Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salvador (Bahia) is the heart of Afro Brazilian culture. Natal's population is 3.5% Afro-Brazilian. I frankly don't buy it with the match not in Salvador and I'm someone with extensive experience of the Nordeste.

zahzah repped this.
  3. Potash

Potash Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  4. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    When Ghana played the USA in Germany the Germans supported Ghana over the USA. People support teams for various reasons.

5. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swedish referee Jonas Eriksson is going to be the ref for the Ghana game.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ret-millionaire-referee-sent-Lewandowski.html

That seems fairly good. The U.S. seems to struggle in games with Latin American refs. Eriksson is independently rich, so he won't be bribed. And he has a reputation for allowing fairly physical play, so we likely don't have to worry about Jones or Bradley being sent off for a minor foul like we do when jackasses like Uruguay's Jorge Larrionda are in charge.

6. Potash

Potash Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    "Yes, we're happy to be underdogs," Mensah told FIFA.com. "We respect that, statistically, the teams in our group are really high-profile, more so than Ghana, and we do respect that. But we're here and we're more focused on our game. And we're here to prove everybody wrong once again." Mensah, 23, believes the opener game against the U.S. is very crucial to their campaign.

http://ghanafa.org/pages/blackstars/201406/9676.php

Guinho repped this.
  7. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    They may have an advantage but I doubt it will be massive. From press reports, the US fan support will be 20,000 strong.

8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol.
    hugh dallas.
    markus merk.

9. flusty

flusty New Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This day is finally here.... all the talk and all the analysis means nothing now - both teams have to do the talking on the pitch.... I feel this group will still be wide open after first round of matches....I predict a Germany - Portugal Draw....

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    hmmm. what is your USA v. Ghana prediction?

swedust repped this.
  11. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  13. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to give props to our Ghanian friends who provided enjoyable banter and a fan's insight on the team leading up to this game. You guys have a great team and it was a battle out there. Asomoah Gyan is a phenomenal player and it's a shame to see a guy with his ability playing his trade in the UAE.

Cheers on a great game and mutual respect between fan bases. You guys are welcome back here anytime. :thumbsup:

14. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Ghana scouting report: facing elimination.

Scotty repped this.
  15. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    UxSxAxfooty and ImaPuppy repped this.
  16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That doesn't bode well for Ghana helping us later against Portugal if we need it, or helping themselves. I don't get the mutiny, they played a helluva game, they just couldn't break down our defense. Like Michael Bradley's bad game, sometimes it just doesn't go your way.

No reason to wig out, and get stupid, and hell they are very much still in it.

17. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

To be honest, would we say we were still well in it had we lost 2-1?

18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else glad we don't have a bunch of ********ing divas on our team?

19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say well in it, but in it, absolutely, especially considering what happened with Portugal. Although our game order is more favorable than theirs, IMO.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I wouldn't go overboard on this. Playerwise its limited to KPB, if to anyone. Appiah got his criticism for player selection. Asamoah said he shouldn't be playing at left back, while Boateng went public with his criticism of not being a starter.

Apparently the initial conflict was about the hotel that FIFA recommended, which was a flea bitten hole. The players revolted hence the flew back directly to Madeia.

21. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: mutinies

Remember we had one after a defeat AWAY at Honduras!!!

When you lose, ppl start to lose it. You win and suddenly everything is kosher.

22. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm just glad KPB didn't play from the opening whistle to be honest.