Scouting EACH opponent: Argentina

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Joep, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    But, that's only 5 matches...? :confused:

2. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Technicality really :rolleyes: fact is the record is fairly even. brazil may be the better squad now, but that is not to say it is close and on any given day we can beat them.

3. sohka88

sohka88 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    You are also forgeting that 5 starters were missing from the team in the finals at the confederations cup, Including 3 of the 4 starters in defence.

People keep saying Argentina has had a rough few years, but do they really know anything? Argentina and brazil have practicaly won every tournament since and including the last world cup.

WC - Brazil
    Copa America- Finals Argentina Vs Brazil (lucky brazil win)
    Olympics- Argentina (not even scored upon)
    Confederations Cup- Finals Brazil Vs Argentina (bad game for Argentina)
    Under 21 WC- Argentina

Not to mention club wins, and 1-1 record agains brazil in qualifiers.

Any other country out there coming close to any of this? no

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Plus, the S.A. qualifiers ended with Brazil and Argentina tied on points, with Brazil getting first place on goal differencial. But Argentina was ahead most of the qualifiers and qualified first, and then they put it on cruise control and lost a couple of matches with alternative teams after they were already in.

5. sohka88

sohka88 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    They lost to Uruguy on purpose..... They would have finished firstt otherwise.

6. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Umm Sarabella just curious why was one of my above posts edited?? I neither had a racial comment , nor was I trolling... so I am quite curious as to why it was edited... thanks.

7. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is there any chance that we will meet Brazil in the final? usually FIFA has it rigged that we meet before hand. it'll be quite embarrassing that two South Americans meet in Berlin..

8. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think so, I dunno have not really done the math yet, but I think they could well meet in the quaters finals.

9. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    If I remember correctly, I deleted your response to a troll. Sorry - I thought I sent you a PM about it.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If the BBC predictor is accurate, Argentina cannot meet Brazil before the semifinals. As I figured it out, these are the scenarios:

a) If both teams win their group and keep winning, they would meet in the finals.

b) If both teams finish second in their group and keep winning, they would meet in the finals.

c) If one finishes first in its group and the other finishes second, and they keep winning, they would meet in the semifinals.

An all South American final between Argentina and Brazil in Germany would be awesome. But I guess first we have to worry about getting out of this tough group.

According to the predictor, a team from Argentina's group would meet a team from the Mexico group in the second round, and then a team either from the England group or the Germany group in the quarters. In the semis it would be a team from either the Brazil, France, Italy or Spain group.

11. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have this group easy..

12. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wouldn't say easy, as breaking down Serbia's defence won't be easy, and Holland is more than a match for us at this point, but I'm confident we can come out tops of the group.

13. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry Sarabella but no I have not recieved a PM on this subject and am still awaiting a reason... no bother really but it does upset me to be accused for something unjustly.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're damn right it is not easy. I think we can and we should qualify out of this group, but we're going to have to earn it, because there's no pushover here.

15. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    while having one of the most breathtaking midfieild I have seen Argentina's downfall in 02' was finishing, .
    This time, I would think Tevez and Messi would make a difference, don't count on Crespo he is spent and cannot score unless it is presented to him in a silver platter.

16. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    PM sent.

17. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well here it is.
    [​IMG]

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't really like Crespo's style, but I think he will be a key player for us. He is not spent and he will score when he gets the opportunities. Crespo is a guy who doesn't run much, doesn't go after the ball much, until it gets into the penalty area. Then he becomes a predator. When he gets it in scoring position he is lethal. And with guys like Riquelme, Tevez, Messi or Aimar playing alongside him, you can bet he'll get a lot more scoring chances than he does at Chelsea.

19. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Crespo is a really good "true" striker and to say he is spent is just ludricous. Unfortunately England does not suit him and he gets intermitenet playing time at Chelsea... a year ago on loan at AC Milan he was lethal!! Given the chances he is a nightmare and we really don't need more creators... he is precisely what we need and it is nice to have Cruz on board as well ;)

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I hope Mexico and Argentina play in the round of 16. I think if this occurs, regardless of the outcome, this could sire a new rivalry.

forget the USA, Mexicanos; forget Brazil, Argentines...

21. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Crespo was there in 02'. No delivery in a silver platter at the goal mouth no score. He has guile in frantic goal mouth situations. That's about it. He can't run, He can't win balls, no header, no power shot, no dribbling, no passing, no tackling, nothing.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In 02 Crespo was riding the bench, most of the time. Bielsa wouldn't play him and Batistuta together. It's hard to score from the bench, you know. :D

But he came in for Batistuta in the second half against Sweden and scored a goal, which unfortunately wasn't enough to advance.

23. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He can't run?....... In fact Crespo's runs off the ball are among some of the best I have ever seen,,,,, can't win balls?? I have personally seen him many a time fluster high class defenders into making some really bad blunders and then taking the shot for a goal thanks. He can't tackle?? Well duh, he is a striker not a bloody defender. Look at his latest form with Chelsea, his performance with AC, Parma and the lot... he has always been one of the top 10 strikers and the way he is turning his attitue around this season he looks to be regaining form just in time !! And as far as no header goes :eek: , have you actually seen the guy play :rolleyes:

24. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    Sounds like some people havent seen Crespo play......

25. MessiGoal

MessiGoal New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Any truth to the rumour that Argentina will award Messi the sacred number 10 jersey for the world cup? Seems too early for that.