Scout Uruguay?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fuegofan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Fuegofan

Fuegofan New Member

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
  2. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I like that idea. One day I would like the MLS to be the league where the best players from the Western Hemisphere come and play.

3. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's one helluva sad story.

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I've heard that top players in Argentina don't make much more than 500 grand. The problem is that it seems like nobody is available on a free. MLS must look for more Roberto Mina type players, guys who are U-20 national teamers that are available for under 300,000 and will sign for Lubos Reiter type money.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Heh, I had the exact same thought after reading that story.

6. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    My first thought was that I could buy a first divison team, put myself in the starting lineup, and play in Libertadores...

7. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone see the documentary on brazilian soccer that was on FSC last night? It seems to me there is alot of talent that goes unseen in brazil. The fire should set up an academy down in brazil or set up a partnership with a club. There are plenty of poor kids who would probably love to play in the US. We found Thiago off of a videotape.

8. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    this is a very interesting thread because of its implications on the current mode of globalization. given that the u.s. has been slow to develop its "soccer ties" to these less developed nations, my hunch is that there is more at play than just "picking" and "choosing" what players they want. just like any other economical venture, there are trade agreements and trade boundaries. other countries and clubs, (i.e. spain, italy, and even brazil and argentina) must have trade "dibs" on these players and american scouts have to navigate around these before picking up players or even to establish an infrastructure that will support an academy. just a huntch. i wish there was somebody here who could be a bit more articulate about this.

9. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure PW could shed some light on this subject.