Scottish sides in Europe (R)

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Gordon EF, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Let's discuss Celtic, Rangers and Hearts' adventures in Europe.

Celtic were well and truly shown up in Ukraine and are out of the Champions League, barring an absolute miracle. They're still in with a chance of getting that UEFA Cup spot although I think they might have to overturn that 3-0 Shakhtar result and I don't think they can.

Rangers and Hearts are playing in the UEFA Cup tonight. Hearts are away to Feyenoord. this will be their hardest fixture and I'm sure the Jambos would be happy with a point here. I think they're capable of going and taking something, they have a very tight defence and if they can steal a goal from a set piece, the Dutch team will find life very difficult.

I have no idea who Rangers are playing but I assume it some shite team as they got a piss easy group. I think it's away so I think Rangers will probably draw.

MON' THE JAMBOS!;)

2. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    I haven't seen Sellick play, but if they can win their last three games they might still go through.

"We" did it two seasons ago. :D

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    they won't win in Barca and they won't beat Milan. they're out.:D

4. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh
    Not expecting anything in Rotterdam tonight, our big games (for qualification purposes) will be the 2 home against Schalke & Ferencvaros, with hopefully a point in Switzerland.6 or 7 points would see us through but obviously it aint gonna be that easy. :(

5. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Sakhtar were wearing orange, it must have been a proddie conspiracy!!

:rolleyes:

6. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Jezus Gordon don’t put that out there! They will be hiring private detectives any minute! :D

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The Brazilian who scored against them crossed himself too, I bet that got a few of them confused.

D'uh, he crossed himsel' so heez a Shellic fan, but heez wearin' orange so he must be a Hun!!:D

8. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Rangers are playing Amica Wronki. A club that was only formed 12-years ago... game just started....

I placed a bet on Wronki winning... :)

9. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1-0 Rangers at the half...

10. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
  11. Bobbybhoy

Bobbybhoy New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    and they say Celtic supporters are the bigots?

12. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Yup, that's what they say :p

13. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Rangers actually won 5-0! :eek:

Hearts went down 3-0 against Feyenoord thanks to perhaps some of the worst refereeing decisions ever! :mad: The opening Feyenoord goal was blatently offside while Kevin McKenna had a perfectly legitimate equaliser disallowed!

Why do the Scottish teams always get them?

14. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Are you asking me or suggesting that I am a bigot?

Point out which part of that post was bigoted please.

15. Bobbybhoy

Bobbybhoy New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    you have shown your colors before.I was just adding(or trying too)that the biggotry in Scotland is not just a "Glasga"problem.I will say that there is a large Ned population in Glasgow proper.. far larger then say Edinburgh.

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Of course it isn't but it's predominantly a Glasgow problem. There are neds all over the place, the worst place I have ever seen for neds was Carlisle.

What exactly would my "colours" be then?

What's your problem with me poking fun at the small mindedness of a section of the Celtic support?

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Of course there is bigotry all over Scotland. That's because there are Old Firm fans spreading their filth far and wide. Sections of your support are like a virus.

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  19. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund

I watched the Hearts-Schalke game live over here in Germany, and was shocked by the Hearts attitude. I was looking forward to a good game and for Hearts to maybe do something, but it wasn't much of a performance.
    But only conceding 1 goal to Schalke isn't too bad.
    The red card though, not too sure, as even with tv it was hard to judge.

20. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Hearts are renowned for their defensive ability – only 8 goals conceded in 12 league games (and 3 were at Celtic Park). We couldn’t honestly go chasing the game because Schalke would have murdered us on the break. But for a team that could “beat anyone” according to their manager, I though we did really well, even when we had 10 men. After all, it was only a wonder goal to beat us on the night! :(

That’s what’s so infuriating. Surely the referee has to 100% sure that it was a dive. Why didn’t he just let play continue?

21. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I was at the Hearts game, it was a pretty shite game to be honest. Wasn't impressed with Hearts or Schalke.

The people around me hadn't even realised that Kisnorbo had been sent off. All round the ref was poor.

22. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Hearts are leading Basle at half time 1-0 form a Dennis Wyness goal. Looking good so far for Hearts, I would say this is a game they must win although a point would keep them in the hunt.

Rangers are drawing 0-0 with Grazer.

23. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Basle 1-2 Hearts
    Rangers 3-0 Grazer

Three teams in Europe after Christmas???

24. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Would be nice to see. Brilliant result for Hearts!

I was a bit worried about Rangers in the first half. Pretty poor. Second half more than made up for it.

I’m still in shock at the fact that Bob Malcolm can hit a shot like that! :eek: