Scottish Flags on 11/9? Too hokey?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Rev-eler, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    I feel like there needs to be a show of public fan support for Nicol on the 9th.....in appreciation for his part in the revs turnaround over the past 2 seasons as well as acknowledgement for the contract extension.

do people agree?

is there a "best way" to do this?
    a "sea" of scottish flags in the fort?
    (well a "pond" anyway)
    i'd buy and bring one.
    too hokey??

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    That would look awesome in The Fort.

The Magpie

3. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    Hey, if it gets off the ground, there's a place called "Arlington Banner & Flag Co." at 110 Mass Ave, Arlington (a few blocks past the Rte 16 intersection).

They say the hours are 8-5 M-F and 8-3 Sat.

Scottish 3x5's are IN STOCK.

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great idea, great way of showing Revs management that we want Nicol to be our man.

5. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a price on that?

6. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Nicol has done a great job overall.
    The late run is impressive particularly coming after the very poor run of nine straight games without a win. Nicol never panicked and he has the team playing their best soccer heading into the playoffs even without some of the teams best players.

But Scottish flags?
    I'm sorry, but to use your own word: way too "hokey."

The guy spent most of his adult life in England, not Scotland. So why not a Union Jack?
    If you've ready any of the articles done about him from UK papers, Nicol's family has absolutely no interest in going back.

I think if people wanted to make banners supporting the job that Nicol has done, that would be a lot more appropriate -- more time consuming, but less expensive, too.

Thumbs up for the job Nicol has done.
    Thumbs up for showing him some support.
    Thumbs down for the Scottish flag idea, unless the person bringing it is Scottish..
    If you are Scottish, bring one along. But if you're not, bring a banner.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too "Hokey"---YES

I think sending SN, Sunil, Kraft an e-mail saying how much you appreciate the good job SN has done would have a lot more impact.

George

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The guy spent most of his adult life in England, not Scotland. So why not a Union Jack?

Uh, because then, like... nobody would get it.

Oh, and the fact that he's Scottish, and if it's nae Scottish it's crap! :)

The Magpie

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As for Nicol having no interest in going back, now is now and later is later. Once his kids are all in college or beyond, if the PL calls I think he'd be on the next plane!

11. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    What's the matter with being a bit hokey??

The flag's look inexpensive and it certainly doesn't look very tough to paint on a piece of paper! Let's do it...

Like they say, it's the thought that counts. It's simple and it is visible...

Unless someone says that Nicol has had a falling out with Scotland over some matter, then I would do it.

12. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flags are great, but where's the piper?!?! :D

Oh, and don't forget to wear your kilts and we can taunt Walker with "who ate all the haggis?"

13. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Oh dear oh dear......

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to taunt "Whiskey D ick" Walker, this is what we would have sung last week if "The Genius" didn't decide to start a keeper who would have trouble in the PDL. To the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree:"
    Oh Whiskey D ick,
    Oh Whiskey D ick,
    Arena does not want you
    You once were a star
    In cheel-ay
    But now you're a Mutt
    So you really suck
    Oh Whiskey D ick,
    Oh Whiskey D ick,
    Arena does not want you

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Maybe my son should wear his Liverpool scarf...

16. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Nothing.

As long as you are willing to be part of continuing the stereotype of American soccer fans as some sort of Euro-wannabes and to look a bit nerdish if you bring a Scottish flag and are a not actually Scottish.

17. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    There is an obvious difference between the Union Jack and the Scottish flag, just as there is a difference between the Union Jack and St. George's cross.

Given Nicol's background, we don't know if the Scottish flag or the Union Jack would have any more meaning for him -- and not knowing is probably a good thing.

There are enough issues in Foxborough without sectarianism becoming one of them.

18. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think that's a little harsh. Put it this way - When Healy and Feldman spot Scottish flags, are they likely to cringe at the euro-wannabees or remark the Nicol tribute? I've got a $6 Guinness that says if they mention the flag they make the association with Nicol.

19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Couple questions...

How do you know whether or not I'm Scottish?? Hence, whether or not I look like a nerd?

Are you saying that by paying tribute to our 'Euro' coach we diminish our American soccer capabilities? Do I detect a bit of sensitivity in this area??

I have no clue as to what bringing in flags to demonstrate support for and honor of our coach has anything to do with being a 'Euro-wannabe'. If Nicol happened to be from Cameroon or Mexico would that make me an African-wannabe or a Mexican-wannabe?? I don't think so.

BigFrank, lighten up, have a good time, enjoy the success of the team and let go a bit. (Is that enough cliches for one sentence?) I certainly don't spend the amount of time you obviously do worrying about what others think of me. So long as we're not hurting someone, what's the big deal?

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    BigFrank,

I see a bunch of fans at Gillette Stadium each game with a flag of Grenada in honor of Shalrie Joseph.

Thing is, they look much more like a white, suburban Volvo-driving family from Franklin than citizens of Grenada.

You gonna tell them they can't show their respect and appreciation of Shalrie by flying Grenada's flag?

For that matter, does Shalrie have a right to acknowledge the flag. I mean, he has spent a number of years in the United States now - played at St. Johns, played in New York, now plays for the Revs and lives in the area...

... guess he better buck up and get with the program, eh? Better go over and rip that flag down and replace it with Old Glory, right? I mean, both he an Nicol have been in the States for about the same length of time, so if it's good enough for Nicol, why should Shalrie be so special.

So does bringing a Scottish Flag to show my support of Nicol make be a "Euro-wannabe?"

Not at all.

Does it make me look like (gasp!) a "Nerd."

I really don't *#*#*#*#ing care, but if it matters, no, it doesn't.

When's the last time a coach in New England actually got accolades from the fans... accolades in recognition of his coaching?

I think that Nicol's smart enough to get the symbolism, I think Brad Feldman and Adrian are smart enough to get it as well.

But if you and the "cool kids" aren't hip to that, well then, that's your problem.

The Magpie

21. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why Evan's the smartest Rev fan I know.

And it's also why I shelled out the thirty bucks.

That way I don't have to read posts that provoke Evan to the point of rant. ;)

22. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so my grandmother was born in Motherwell, giving me a genuine Scottish heritage. I'll wear my Gunn clan tie and Motherwell scarf so I can wave everyone's Scottish flag for them. Would that be OK? ;)

23. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigFrank, why do you post here? Obviously your not a Revs fan of an MLS fan, so why bother. Everytime you post here you instigate someone, one thread its me, another thread is The Magpie. Do you get a high from pissing people off online?

24. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much, much more. :)

25. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    maybe getting some of those cards together that make or say something lager when everyone puts them up over their head would be better, eh?

scottish flag (flip)...u.s. flag? "thanks stevie"? whatever.....

s.n. did play for the scottish nats right?
    i think he'd be fine with seeing their flag.