Scottish Clubs (Celtic) in that Europe(R)

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Parkhead_Faithful, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Dundee V Perugia in the uefa cup, fairly open game from what Ive seen so far, end to end, perugia are getting the better of it the last 5 or 10 minutes.
    Why is there is a uefa cup tie on a wednesday?
    totally threw me this did, are hearts playing the day too?

2. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Dundee 0 Perugia 1
    Very unfortunate for dundee, poor goal to give away and they could be about 3 or 4 up if Juan Sara was in the mood tonight.

Hearts and zelejnecar are still 0-0

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    1-1
    Lee Wilkie
    Totally deserved IMO.

4. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Hearts 1 up
    mark de vreis

5. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Dundee 1 Perugia 2
    Good goal by fusani but in the context of the match not really a fair result
    With caballero back in the next leg I think dundee are still in with a chance, have to play out of their skins though.

6. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    It's because they reduced the amount of Champions League games (by getting rid of that second group stage). So now there are enough "free" midweeks to play UEFA cup games on the Wednesday. It is also better for teams who had to rearrange league games to the Sunday after european games on the Thursday. Decent crowds at both games as well (15K at Tynecastle, 10K? at Dens)

I think Dundee deserved to lose to be honest. They tried hard and had some good performances (Speroni, Wilkie, Nemsadze, Novo) but they gave the ball away too cheaply at times and their tactics were wrong until the forced subbing of Lovell, which gave them extra strength in midfield, which forced Perugia back. They will do alright over there (maybe draw) but it is too much to win almost certainly.

Tricky tie for Hearts, these teams are a bit hard to predict due to lack of exposure to the rest of Europe (new country). They should win through but I worry for them if they lose the first goal over there.

7. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Coming from a totally nuetral point of view of course? ;)

8. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    No, I actually let out a small cheer when they scored. So there is a first time for everything.

9. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I thought personally they were excellent but for the two mistakes that led to perugias goals, they looked frail at the back another couple of times but hernandez usually kept them out of trouble, If caballero had got half the chances that fell to sara too they would have won comfortably, sitters.

10. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Does anybody know why both Dundee & Hearts wore 1-11 & had no names on their shirts?

On the Hearts Kickback forums, someone suggested it was because the SPL lettering & numbering was too big, but I'm not sure if thats true.

What do Celtic & Rangers wear in Europe?

11. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Weve never had a problem with lettering to my knowledge, however it may be totally budgetary, hearts and dundee too tight to letter a set of jerseys for one round in europe ;)

12. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    To confuse the opposition? ;)

What our Celtic-supporting friend said, it is probably because they can't be bothered making special European squad numbers/shirts for a campaign that is not likely to last that long.

13. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Henrik Larsson, the man, the legend.
    How in gods name will we ever get a player half as good as he is to replace him.

14. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Well, at least Hedman kept them out. Kudos to Miller!

15. mcgready

mcgready New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Dallas
    [QUOTEHenrik Larsson, the man, the legend.
    How in gods name will we ever get a player half as good as he is to replace him.
    [/QUOTE]

Well Celtic deserved the win today, and I used to have some respect for Larsson, but once he threw up his skirt in the box, that went out the door.

I assume Thompson gets no more chances from the spot.

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Celtic win!

The Bhoys beat Lyon...sweet. A French powerhouse is good win.

17. jaytee1

jaytee1 New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ayrshire
    "HUNGRY BHOYS FEED ON LE COEUR DE LYON"- C'est result!!!!

18. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Panatha..something 1-1 Rangers

Emerson put Rangers into a deserved first-half lead but in the second half a Greek sub was sent off (about 15 mins after coming on) and they improved, getting an equiliser in the 89th minute.

Two points dropped which could be very important.

Man U lost 2-1 at Stuttgart, which doesn't help either!

19. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
    Re: Celtic win!

Congratulation for this well deserved win.

Anyway, Larsson's fall was a freaking ugly ... dive.

20. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    A bit of the old Scotland-Belgium syndrome for Rangers.

21. magggggggggiebhoy

magggggggggiebhoy New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Re: Re: Celtic win!

there was a slight touch and he made the most of it, but elber would have done the same if it was at other end of park.....if its true wot elber was sayin about larsson before the game then hes a silly guy, henrik aint the best player to piss off, just ask blackburn

i make it between the 2 scottish teams so far we have 7 points....while between the 3 english teams they only have 7 as well.....so its official the scottish league is better than that mickey mouse league down there :)

22. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I thought Larsson dived the first few times i saw it but then i noticed he actually had his ankles clipped.

23. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Of course he was clipped, clear as day.
    But that IMO wasnt our best shout for a penalty, there had been two which i would have classed stonewallers before it the ref didnt give, that was just the law of averages at work.

24. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    UEFA Cup matches:

Hearts drew 0-0 against NK Zeljeznicar, winning 2-0 on aggregate.

However, Dundee lost 1-0 away to Perugia, losing 3-1 on aggregate.

Hearts now face Bordeaux in round 2.

Its the first time in 7 years that a PROPER Scottish team has been in the 2nd round of the UEFA Cup!!! :)

And I personally think we could do Bordeaux - they're currently 15th in the French league.

25. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    When I first heard they got bordeaux I honestly felt sorry for the huns without the bus fare ;), looked like they would be in for a mauling, but finding out a wee bit more about the tie bordeaux are not looking good at the mo, could be their best chance to advance, mind you if they play like they did yesterday.........