Scott McClellan out

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by obie, Apr 19, 2006.

1. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know you weren't asking me, but I kinda like it. I think it'll be much more interesting to watch, at least this guy has a personality. Poor Scotty was a worn out punching bag.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its a good move. What I like about it is Snow is outside the BushCo inner circle, but apparently demanded a role of substance - not just as a mouthpiece. This is just the kind of independent thinking needed. Now, if Dubya would just get rid of Rummy, Rice, Cheney, and all the rest, things might get interesting.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Plus, if he attempts to show favor to reporters from Fox News, every other reported in the room will tear him a new asshole.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that Al Franken put it best at the top of his show yesterday when he said, "Now he can actually get paid by the White House for spouting their talking points."

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're the one who listens to that show. Neat.

6. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Snow's first day on the job, from IMAO.

My favorite:

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was either that or be the one person who listens to G. Gordon Liddy's show.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G Gordon Liddy has a show?

One thing I find cool now is the Podcast. This will replace talk radio so eventually no one will listen to Al Franken. Oh wait . . .

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, and in Dallas, it's on a station (KFCD 990 AM) which is about to change formats to become some sort of Spanish stations and which is already carrying FC Dallas' Spanish broadcasts.

...which is deliciously ironic, considering what Liddy's been ranting about lately.

Meanwhile, FCD's English broadcasts are on the Air America affiliate (KXEB 910 AM), a station which calls itself "Texas Progressive Radio" because it's simulcast in Austin and San Antonio, extending FCD's hegemony over the other major population centers in the state. Suck it, Dynamo!

10. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Which is yet another reason not to take Al Franken seriously.

The one thing that pleases me the most about this appointment is that Tony Snow has never "spouted talking points" just for the sake of supporting the Bush administration. In fact, that is what surprises me a great deal about the appointment. Snow has frequently expressed views that ranged from mere questions to outright disagreement with the administration. That does not mean that he does not agree with Bush in many cases, he does. But agreeing with someone is not the same as a rubber stamp. So while that may not come across in press conferences, we can all rest assured that POV is well known to Bush as well as the group that covers the White House.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, lighten up, he was making a joke.

(You know, if that excuse is good enough for the fans of the formerly fat guy who's also on from 12-3 Eastern Time...)

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me he won't be disagreeing publically with the Bush administration anymore. He's now the paid mouthpiece. If he starts wandering off the rez, he won't have his job very long.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy that there is some new blood and new voices. I just don't expect them to make much real difference.

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess what -- that is his job. If you strongly disagree with Bush's policies on ideological grounds, it will not (and should not) matter who is saying it or how. But one problem I have with Bush (as you know, I have many) is that he does not explain his policies well, and that can be where Snow helps.

I love how some on the left are complaining about Snow being on Fox News -- the Official Mouthpiece for the VRWC, while others are laughing about Snow's anti-Bush comments (some of which we horribly out of context).

I will buy a coke for the first person to find a commentator have a melddown over both in the same article.

A rootbeer float if they do it in the same paragraph.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. That's what I said.

It could also be that the problem with his policies is his policies.

I haven't been following the commentators and I'd never heard of him until his name started being floated as Scottie's replacement.

All I was saying that if anyone thinks that he'll continue to be allowed to think and act independently, they haven't been paying attention to this administration.

15. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing wrong with having an ideology (I have one). All it means is that you believe in something.

16. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Yes, he will certainly be expected to be the "voice of the administration." However, we would all be making a mistake if we assumed that his POV will not be heard in private conferences. A person like Snow, with a reputation for well-reasoned thought, and a good understanding of how the media works, can have a significant influence on policy.

It may be a while before we see anything but I would be surprised if there is not an immediate effect in the press room.

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I say it was wrong to have an ideology? You keep putting words in my mouth.

18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much the only thing that will change in any significant way. Which is fine. Why should the press guy get all involved with policies and stuff? Seems to me his job is to communicate, not create.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As usual, leave it to Froomkin to get the good stuff.

I can see the conundrum Snow is having.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/04/27/BL2006042701058_pf.html

20. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's got to be the worst white collar job in the world. Seriously.

21. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's called "truthiness". [/Colbert Report]

Thanks to the beauty of that show, I know have a face to match Karl K's posts. :D

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Same shyte, different suit....

Unless they share a wardrobe.

24. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Not to put words in your mouth, but...Bush has been accused of running a closed operation. IOW, not looking for alternative opinions. Well, to the extent that is true, Snow is going to break that mold.

As to the role of the "press guy;" a part of that job is to convey to his boss what the perception may be of certain policies/decisions, and within that context, offer advice. If that is the case, it would not be the first time that person has served in that manner. I recall Ed Meese recalling staff meetings under Reagan where the views of the press were regularly considered.