Scotland vs Faroe Islands (r)

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by dogbyte, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I agree with you to an extent in that we dont do enough to bring young players through and train them properly but today Vogts has to have the finger pointed at him.
    Take David Weir, hes a premiership player and he was being run ragged by a professional fisherman today, kyle has played more games for scotland than he has for sunderland and he was awful.
    The best players on show today play in scotland so its nothing to do with our league as such, we were disorganised, there was a lack of communication and we didnt do the simple things right, the faroes cut us open at will and it was painful to watch and yet the problem wasnt rectified, yes vogts doesnt have a lot to work with and yes were not the best but the players out there should have comfortably humped the faroes and for that the manager has to take what is leveled at him.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Starting with where they are. Thanks.

3. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    The Faroes are a small group of islands (like the Shetlands or Orkneys, if you know Scotland) halfway between Scotland and Iceland, a few hundred miles from the mainland of Scotland.

Population 47,000. Only 22% of this is between 15-64, so you have some idea of their football-playing player pool. This population is no bigger than a reasonably-sized Scottish town like Perth or Kirkcaldy, not even 1/10 of the population of Edinburgh or Glasgow. It is THAT embarrassing.

I am almost physically sick as I type this.

4. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    east of iceland
    just up from shetland
    danish ruled (well they were dunno about now)
    population of less than 50,000
    seem to be our bogey team.

5. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Kyle is a haddy. I bet you wish that Rangers had actually signed him from Sunderland now, ;).

I cannot fathom the performances of Weir or Dailly, particularly Weir. These guys play every week, are experienced, and play at a high level. Yet they were awful.

Only Barry Ferguson and Crawford get pass marks in my book.

Tam Cowan (radio/TV presenter and newspaper columnist for non-Scots) was saying before the game that we should just have sent Falkirk FC instead. I think he was joking but I don't think he was far wrong. At least a team of good 1st div. players would have the experience of beating teams of parttimers on a regular basis.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I'm doing the math correctly, that would put 10,340 in this range, and figure that half of them are female, and that, of the males, there probably aren't a lot of people with Sir Stanley Matthews' footballing longevity... I'd guess that there are' probably only 2,500 or so able bodied men to choose from.

I assume, given their location, that fishing is the primary industry.

Dude, I'm sorry to have put you through this.

7. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Kyle to rangers is still a possibilty come january, he would be an improvement on Flo from a celtic perspective based on what I have seen of him :D

Weir and Dailly are always terrible for us, it further enhances my belief that the english premiership outside of man u and arsenal is the most overrated "big" league on the planet, if everton fans are to be believed weir is dependable and stable and fergie is always keeping one eye on him incase man U need cover!

8. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Sorry, that "22%" was a typo. 22% of the Faroese population is aged 15-64 and male. So you can double that 2,500 number, not that it makes it any better.

The thing I don't understand about Kyle is that the guy has yet to score a goal for Scotland or Sunderland. So why is he playing in a competitive international? It wasn't as if he's suddenly going to start scoring goals today. Even someone like Craig Brewster would have been a better bet if Vogts was looking for a striker with a bit of physical presence.

This is just sickening. Thank christ I don't have any razor blades or broken bottles near me, ;).

The only hope is that it was so bad maybe the Executive will pull their finger out and save our national sport. Or don't they want the "sick man of Europe" to get any exercise?

9. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerNet
    BBC
    Ananova
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Douglas was fine too, he couldnt really have done anything about either goal and he did make a few really good saves 1 on 1 near the end.

Youve been listening to off the ball, the most petty and ill-informed sports programme on radio ;)

11. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Douglas wasn't far away from being MotM for Scotland today, :eek:. Even then, I wouldn't give him pass marks, maybe 5/10. He let in the first two shots and flapped at a couple of crosses. On the good side he made some important saves late in the game.

In some ways Douglas' performance was quite like his game in Basle with Celtic - he gave up two early goals which he had some chance with, but made some important saves later in the game. But obviously the damage was already done and he has to point the finger at his defenders.

-----

I actually feel sorry for the Faroes. The only reason they didn't win was because they just got nervous with the winning post(s) in sight, with big chances at 2-0, 2-1 and 2-2 to kill us off. They have improved tremendously, I don't think anyone other than Germany will dismiss them. But this is obviously unacceptable for us.

And to think I was considering buying tickets for the Canada friendly at Easter Road next month before today.....

12. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Hey if you want Faroe info - this is the page for you.

Done by the friendly chaps at the CIA.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fo.html

13. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    [​IMG]
    BBC

14. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerAge

15. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    though i'm scottish, welsh, and english, i dont usually root for any team except england, because, well...scotland and wales aren't so hot.

this proves my point.

the faroe islands? i'm ashamed to be a scot....

16. Shah

Shah New Member

Note that the Faroe Islands have a fully functioning amateur domestic league with 5 divisions. That is very impressive for a small semi-autonomous state. Most of their players indeed play in the Faroese league, but they have some in Denmark, Norway or Iceland (like starting goalie Jens Martin Knudsen). So the top players get semi-pro or pro experience. Not that this should make Scottish fans feel any better. However the Faroe Islands have an impressive footballing infrastructure for such a small population.

17. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    That is NO excuse... two Faroe Islands internationals played for Ayr United in our second league a couple of years ago and sucked. If a Scotland team cannot compete properly against this, it is simply not good enough.

The main reason was that there were far too many players in our team who are not playing regular. I would far sooner have a player who starts all the time for Aberdeen or Hibs, than an OF or Premiership reserve player. Players like Ross and Crainey do have a chance but they must get games with their teams if they are to ever develop into anything.

18. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    BBC

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Still cant get over this by the way.

20. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Love it, just love it. Sorry to all the Scottish fans, but this is a great result for Faroese football.

I was at the 1999 game against Scotland, but I never thought that the Faroese would be able to pull off another result against the Scottish.

faroesefootball.tripod.com for pictures of the Faroe Islands, those who are interested.. plug plug

I will be attending the Canada at Scotland match on October 15th....