Scotland squad v Faroes and Lithuania

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    Sorry 'bout that Parkhead. Leave it to the Brits and the Romans to ******** up a Scottish thread

For what it's worth I really do hope you top that group you are in. Scotland have been MIA for quite a while now

2. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh... all this misidentification... American... I'm American.

Scottish fans, question... would you say the big difference has been the fact that you got rid of piss for brains Vogts, or something else?

Not just for the start of Euro qualification, but also for the strong run at the end of World Cup qualification?

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That has been the biggest difference. It is difficult to understand the sheer incompetence of that man....

He capped around 80/90 players in his relatively short time as Scotland manager, clearly proving that he knew nothing about Scottish players before he came or even well into the job. Guys who had played a handfull of games for the Old Firm or English lower league journeyman were thrown in, often out of position or in cometitive games.

He constantly played the wrong formation and played players out of position, there was one game at Hampden where Steven Pressley (the captain) had to change the tactics on the pitch after the players came out whilst Berti just sat there.

He admitted that he didn't even talk to the players in the dressing room before games.

After the humiliation of drawing 2-2 with the Farow Islands, he slagged off Davie Weir to the extent that he quit the national team, his come back under Walter Smith has proved that, even at 36, he's still an asset to Scotland.

Walter Smith coming in has been a breath of fresh air but, to be fair, the players available have improved too. Craig Gordon has become one of the best goalkeepers in Britain, if not Europe, under Smith, Paul Hartely has come from nowhere almost, to be probably the best midfielder in Scotland and has fitted effortlessly into international football, young players like Darren Fletcher and James McFadden have continued to improve and mature and our options up front are far better than they have been in a long time. It's difficult to say wheather some of this is down to Smith or not though.

In short, we are a different team under Walter Smith and if Berti was in charge we would still be a joke in international football.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That's about right.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Vogts was horrible, but the young talent in Scotland is starting to mature a bit as well.

6. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    YankHibbee got your private message to me. Read my reply. At any rate, this is my last reply to these 2 jokers.

Niloc, hush now. Blackburn and the CL ? You will do no such thing. Even this depleted Juve team would have it's way with you. I saw the friendly Blackburn had with Olympiakos in Austria back in late July. My word, that was not pretty, LOL. What what the final score again ? 7-0 plus 3 goalposts for the Greeks ?

El Steve, listen.... do you hear that ? they are calling you on the "Gooch" thread. You know, the same thread that promised he was going to be the star of the WC last year

:) :)

Scottish Fans

Pardon all this. Just saw a message a while back that I wanted to reply to. Clearly nothing against your team. Regards to you guys.