Scotland squad v Faroes and Lithuania

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Aug 24, 2006.

1. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Rangers and Technolgy don't mix. Anywho moving on to todays match should be an intresting game. Any one know how many my Lith. players the play for Vlad our on this squad? This should be another 3 pts. No excuses to win like we did on Saturday and come out flat today. Lets get six points in the bag and keep another clean sheet.

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Lithuania are a very decent team, their draw with Italy shows that. With the group we're in, 3 points would be very welcome but getting a point away from home would not be a disaster. Hopefully we'll get draws in Kiev and Paris tonight.

I think the team will be

------------------Gordon--------------------

------Dailly----Pressley-----Weir-------------

--Alexander--------------------Naysmith----

-----Fletcher-----Hartley-----Quashie--------

--------------McFadden--------------------

----------------Miller-------------------------

Possible changes could be Russell Anderson or Gary Caldwell instead of Christian Dailly at the back with the possiblity of Dailly replacing Alexander.

I think this is the right way to go, it's worked against Norway and Slovenia who are, at least, the equals of Lithuania. I like to see Kris Boyd in the team if we're playing with more than one up-front but I don't think we'd get the best out of him in this formation.

Avoiding defeat has to be the main objective away from home in this group (with the exception of the Faroes) and I'm confident that we can nick a couple of wins on the road somewhere.

3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Caldwell is in for Boyd.

Chesney is injured and doesn't make the Lithuania team.

A win is a must tonight. I'd have prefer a couple of differences to the team Wattie has picked but in essense I can't argue, this has worked before and hopefully it will work tonight.

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I take it that means, Alexander's out from above and Dailly is right wing back? I probably would have prefrered Anderson instead of Caldwell beside Elvis and Weir, although hopefully gaffes will be at a minimum beside two more experienced players.

It's good that Cesnauskis is out, Hearts fans rate him much higher than Mikolinous and chances are, that's who'll replace him.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    0-0HT

Pitch is a joke and Scotland aren't much better. Very low quality first half from both sides. Losing McFadden was a blow, we haven't looked like creating a chance since he went off.

Pish game.

6. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    goal scotland

7. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    2 games, 6 points, job done.

Should've been made 3-0 but a bad miss from Boyd and the great (but badly marked) Lithuania goal made it nervy. I'll take 2-1, i'd have taken any win TBH.

8. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Anyone got any goals or highlights of the match?

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well done you scots.

10. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Good luck finding stuff, as everything tonight is on Sky here. There are highlights on the BBC later (at least of the England game), so maybe there will be something on youtube?

:)

France are winning 2-1 against Italy at h/t, which would be a decent result given Italy's slip-up against Lithuania on Saturday.

Well done to Walter and the guys, we started well but were derailed by injuries (particularly McFadden), but they were able to turn things after half time,
    which is evidence of good coaching.

I went to the game on Saturday and didn't have a problem. I think the problems were caused by people turning up late and unfamiliarity with the system. Celtic had problems in their first home game.

11. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job Scotland...

Taking maximum from your first two games, plus the shit start for Italy gives you guys a real nice shot of qualifying. Definately pulling for Scotland in that group, so do yourselves proud, please.:cool:

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    European Championship Qualifying : Group B Table

1 Scotland 2 2 0 0 8 1 7 6
    2 France 2 2 0 0 6 1 5 6
    3 Georgia 3 1 0 2 8 6 2 3
    4 Ukraine 1 1 0 0 3 2 1 3
    5 Lithuania 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
    6 Italy 2 0 1 1 2 4 -2 1
    7 Faroe Islands 2 0 0 2 0 12 -12 0

makes for pretty reading
    unless youre italian or a faroe islander

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It looks like you can really "worry" the Italians this time. ;)

Keep up the good job!

14. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    shite! the Frogs and the Scots are at it again!! soon they will be planning a combined effort on merry ol' England.

anyways, great start and hope it gets better for you guys. Please please please beat the pulp out of the Italians, they really need to be taken down a few notches.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The Auld Alliance resurrected?

16. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

get your team to do it then...

17. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    right! sure thing mate. Since England and Italy are in the same qualifying group I'll make sure I pull for Her Majesty's team! Btw would you mind telling me when our teams are scheduled to play?

Oh, and now that we've settled the national team mishap... you might have noticed that I support Rovers. Now I do not believe that we are that great of a team but we do play in the Premiership and are participating in the UEFA cup this season... I see you support Juventus then... where do they play?

18. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good thing Australia isn't in the group too... or you could buy a couple more calls.:p

19. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth

Until Blackburn accomplish 1/10th of what Juve has, hushhhhhh puppy.

20. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    true. And too bad Croatia isn't in Aussie's Asian Cup group, as you can rip them off the same way you did in the WC.

21. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AFL?

22. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    AFL/ NFL/ Nascar, your choice

23. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    Okay. We'll make a deal then. We will both try our utmost to get to the Champions league by the end of this season okay? That way we might be able to see our teams play... oh wait a sec. you're in Serie B right... okay maybe two years from now then.

and when we win 1/10 of the games that you do after we pump up our squad with chemicals and bribe refs, I'll come calling okay. Until then have fun and do try to beat the likes of Rimini too.

ciao~

24. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... they're all different...

I assumed you weren't talking about Arena Football when you said AFL... because that's what it is... maybe you meant American Football League, even though there is none.

That would be the NFL, your second option.

NASCAR isn't similar to the previous two at all, and does, in fact, suck.

But... yeah that's why I post on here, because I love other sports other than soccer so much and look forward to your slurs, especially one that doesnt' apply to my position in life and location in America.

Come back here in a few months after the Tartans have taken your spot.

25. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    thought id blundered into a shitey world rivalries thread for a second there