Scotland squad v Faroes and Lithuania

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    They always run us close, and they have drawn with us the last couple of times over there. Our biggest win under Craig Brown was actually 5-1 against the Faroes but since then its been quite close in the 5 meetings, probably because under the last 2 managers we never really beat anyone by a decent margain. I was very surprised by the margain of Georgia's win, I fear for the Faroe's goal difference in this group, on paper this was one of their two easiest games.

I reckon we might get a big win on Saturday, if Kris Boyd starts he will score a hat-trick. Although Walter only knows how to set us up to play a counter attacking game, i'm not sure how it will go against a team who will defend in numbers.

2. JAYEL

JAYEL New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Edinburgh
  3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    How many players will Hearts have after they sign the 2 more Lithuanians tomorrow? I make it 30 first team players! Wouldn't if be better if they signed a couple of quality players rather than buying 15 and hoping a couple of them might make it into the first team :rolleyes:

4. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    It's always tough to break down a team that puts 11 behind the ball. Still, a 3-0 score is a minimum passing grade.

5. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'd like to think starting Boyd and Miller up top with Faddy slotted just behind should get the job done. Sucks that Maloney is still injured. Should be a cake walk and an easy six points but things are never the way they would appear off paper.

6. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Murty's out injured, as is McCulloch. Both might be back by Weds. I assume Neilson will get the nod ahead of Alexander.

Who will play on the left of midfield? Quashie? He's played there before for Scotland I think...

7. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The team will be:

____________Gordon

Dailly__Pressley___Weir___Naysmith

__Hartley____Fletcher___Quashie

___________McFadden

_______Miller_______Boyd

I would've played Anderson and Alexander instead of Dailly and Weir/Pressley but the midfield and forwards should destroy the Faroes, the defence should be able to do it's job.

8. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    6 - nil full time

Oustanding first half, done enough in the second.

Faroes looked terrible though, they are never a good side but at least they are usually harder to beat.

9. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    Great news. That's the kind of result they need to put up at home.

10. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Fletcher was outstanding in the first half, Faddy was outstanding in spells, Hartley was class but clearly on a leash, Kris Boyd was, well, Kris Boyd (i.e. he scored goals). I thought we played quite well in the first half but never had to get out of 2nd gear, the second half we didn't break sweat. I feared a little for the Faroes goal difference before, now I don't see them avoiding worse beatings than this in several games to come. Mikklesen was every bit as bad as I remember.

On the downside I thought Pressley was a little shaky with the little he had to do and Dailly, although solid at the back, didn't put in a half decent cross all afternoon.

But Wattie's selection headaches for Wednesday are all good ones :)

Oh and i'm glad I don't need to go back to that manky pit that is Parkhead!

11. Benin Dahomey

Benin Dahomey New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Greenock, Scotland
    i thought the atmosphere in the ground yesterday was great, much better than it would have been at hampden. i would prefer all scotland games to be rotated between celtic park, ibrox and possibly murrayfield (although there are obvious issues with this ground). the atmosphere in hampden is too 'nice'. teams enjoy playing there. ibrox and parkhead, on the other hand, are intimidating grounds to visit.

12. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    You might have a point when it comes to us playing 'smaller' teams but the big boys usually find it very tough at Hampden.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It also doesn't help when fans are stuck outside Celtic Park after the game has kicked off.

14. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Lee McCulloch, Graeme Murty, Garry O'Connor and Stephen McManus are out for the Lithuania game, Scott Brown is put into the squad.

Lithuania have some decent players like Chesney and Miko and they got a great result on Saturday but we really should be looking to win this game. If we are to have any hopes of qualifying we need to win, even if we are to finish 3rd we need to win games like this one.

There's some tough selection decisions for Wattie to make, does he stick to 4-3-3? Does he move to the 5 at the back we played against Slovenia, Bulgaria, Norway? Which forward does he drop? What defender does he put in?

15. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I don't understand what happened here, I turned up at 2:30 (the latest adivised by the SFA) and there was no queue to get in whatsoever. I understand there were some traffic issues etc but why were so many so late?

16. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    Out of interest what was the atmosphere like? Better than hampden?

17. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The atmosphere has been much better at Hampden than it was on Saturday, but that wasn't really down to the stadium, more about the fans. So it's hard to compare.

The thing about Hampden is the only way you're gonna get a great atmosphere is if it's totally full, when half empty it's awful.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    There was an automatic ticket system that didn't work.

19. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Worked fine for me and still doesn't change the fact that the section of the ground I was in was half empty at kick-off when there was no queue when people when told to turn up.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Don't ask me. My tickets and I were stranded in Shotts. That really didn't help the old hangover. :mad:

21. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    I just think Hampden is a bit shallow!

22. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    worked fine, was just fuds were collecting tickets at the ground and the queues at the kiosks were long, plus many arent that familiar with the ground outside the away supporters section.

23. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    fans are too far away from the pitch, cant really get much of an atmosphere going never mind get on the opponents backs, Ibrox and parkhead (even easter road and tynecastle)are cauldrons by comparison.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is that why they abandoned the automatic system and did it manually?

25. Benin Dahomey

Benin Dahomey New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Greenock, Scotland
    from what i could tell, the automatic system was working, it was just that people didn't seem to know how to use it. i waited in the queue for a while as one guy tried to force the machine to swallow his ticket, instead of just scanning the barcode.