Scotland manager: Who do you want and why?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Gordon EF, Nov 2, 2004.

1. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Fair enough if thats what you think but that doesn't make everyone who doesn't share your view retarded. Personally I don't care where the manager is from but I do care where the players are from.

Given that we need to change the whole way the game works in Scotland I don't think bringing in someone who is steeped in Scottish traditions is going to help.

2. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I apologise for being insulting, your intitled to your view and forums would be rather boring if we all had the same opinion :). Although I was insulting the SFA more, David Taylor really does have problems :D

A foreign coach wouldn't work because there are too many people who share my view that he should be Scottish. Meaning a foreign coach wouldn't really have a fair chance. I also think we need someone who understands the Scottish style of play, which is very different to most of Europe. I also feel we need someone who cares enough about Scottish football who will push changes at all levels.

3. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Let's face it, no-one half decent wants the post! The current crop of players are sh!t, with one or two exceptions!

So it is highly likely that it will be someone who is currently on the dole.

Jesus H, George Graham? Are you sure, how long has he been out of the game, because no-one wants him?

Walter Smith is too old, it needs a younger man - Strachan doesn't want it, Jordan has had no success as a manager - maybe Gary McAllister, he's out of work, although I would prefer David Moyes :)

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That's the thing, nobody will leave a Premiership club to be the Scottish national team manager, or many other national team managers for that matter.

5. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    I disagree Gordon, it's up to the SFA to put a deal in place that will entice a top manager away from wherever they are at the moment!

The right money, the support, the commitment to the infrastructure, longevity, should all be offered up in return for someone who may be disillusioned with the day-to-day interference of boards and chairmen - Gary Mac is available, but it's DM for me!!! Let's commit to the future long-term, as there's fcuk all to look forward to, short-term :(

6. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    You're right. But Gordon Strachan's the man, give him a 6 year contract on a good premiership type salary and he will be the Scotland manager. Davie Moyes doesn't want the job yet, but i'm sure he will be the Scotland manager at some point. I'm sure it's something he wants to do in his career, he's near admitted it. It has to be long term and it has to be someone who will push change. Most young boys in Scotland want to be football players, lets find a way to transform that into a great national team!

7. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    This is the root of the problem in one post. About a year ago the 'public' decided that Strachan should be the boss and since then Vogts was subject to being hounded out of the job so that Strachan could come in.

Of course nobody actually considered what would happen if Strachan didn't take the job. It was decided he would take it based on one throwaway comment on Saturday morning TV.

Now its obvious he ISN'T going to take it but still people are persisting with the idea that he will/would if only the SFA would try. He doesn't want it.

Now we are going to be stuck with Walter Smith and Scottish football will be no better off. We'll see results improve a bit and everyone will be happy again. We can forget about World Cups and Euro Champs for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

8. g_04

g_04 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    He worked wonders for us here in Falkirk, the fans still love what he did even if they don't show it :eek:

9. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
  10. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Swen Goran Erickson.