Scotland manager: Who do you want and why?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Gordon EF, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'd love to see George Graham get the job. I've said why on the "Bertie's Gone" thread.

He has acheived success at Millwall, Arsenal, Leeds and Spurs. His trade mark was taking ordinary players and moulding them into well organised, incredibly hard to beat, hard working teams. He has managed and played at the highest level and seems to me to be a passionate Scotsman who would earn the respect of the players and get them playing for the jersey and giving it everything they've got. He's unemployed and may find it difficult to get another EPL job beacuse of the bung thing.

You may argue those points but they're essentailly true so what better qualification for the Scotland job would you want? It's down to the SFA, will they have the balls to go for Graham of gor for the safe, 'Larg's Mafia' choice in Walter Smith.:(

2. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    Give the job to Sir Bobby!

(Robson, that is, not Charlton.)

3. DJ_RFC

DJ_RFC New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I'd like to see someone aggressive and passionate, to be honest i dont mind who gets the job just as long as it's not another foreigner!!

4. DarthTrickster

DarthTrickster New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland
    You better be joking boy! :D I really wanted Graeme Souness to get the job until he started slagging the team off, I'll be perfectly happy if Walter Smith get's it though. He should be able to instill some fighting spirit back into Scotland, especially if he takes Archie Knox with him. By the way Archie Knox for the Caley job!!

5. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Last week I was set on Gordon Strachan but I’ve since decided that Walter Smith could be the man for us and here’s why: If somebody asked Gordon Strachan (or George Graham or even Alan Hansen for that matter ;)) whether or not say Paul Hartley or Barry Nicholson should be in the Scotland squad, I bet they’d say “who?”

We need a manager who knows about Scottish football and not a convert to the English game. I heard Graham say on SSN that he could hardly recognise any of the Scotland players against Norway - but I did and so did most of the TA.

Get Walter Smith in now!

6. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The SFA want Walter to be another 'yes' man! They don't know how to change things and they don't want their positions being under threat because the new manager know there is changes needed at every level. Gordon Strachan is the man who will shake things up. Guys like David Taylor need to get tae ********! Changes are needed at every level and the SFA need to get their fingers out their arses to make these changes! We live in a country where all young boys want to do is play football. With a little bit of common sense used this could easily be converted into a great national team!

Big changes are needed at the SFA and Walter Smith would sit by while changes are not made, Strachan wouldn't! He hurts when Scotland lose. He would make sure the changes happen that need to!

******** OFF DAVID TAYLOR!!! AND TAKE YOUR OPERA ********ERS WITH YOU!!!!

7. DarthTrickster

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland
    Gordon Strachan doesn't want the job! He has said many times he wants back into club management. If he does take the job, who's to say he won't jump ship the 1st time a Premiership club showed an interest in him.

8. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    If the SFA really went after Strachan he would take the job. The fact of the matter is that most within th SFA don't want him. I'll be right behind Smith if he gets the job but I don't think he is the right man. If not Strachan then someone who has a track record of doing well with not so great players. Walter's done nothing to prove he can do that.

9. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Moving into international managent may not be his first choice but I doubt he would abaondon Scotland if West Brom came calling.

10. DarthTrickster

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland

11. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Clarke is an interesting one. Maybe him with someone like Ian McCall (as much as I hate the guy) as his assistant, someone who knows Scottish football and has worked with poor players. I think that kind of partnership would be good, someone who has good tactical knowledge and someone who can relate to not so good Scottish players. I've never rated Tommy Burns, I don't think he helped alongside Berti.

12. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Aye, I've never really been aware of Clarke until recently. I definately think it would be a good idea to get him involved with the Scotland set up although I think giving him the manager's job at the moment would be too soon. Maybe get him in with a view to making him the next in line for the job.

Ian McCall!?! Unless he turns things around quickly at Dundee Utd. that's going to be a huge black mark beside his name. I don't want him anywhere near the Scotland set up.

Burns, exactly, if his knowledge of the Scottish game was so great, why did Vogts try over 60 players during his time, surely Burns was there to make the 'getting to know all the players' time shorter?

13. DarthTrickster

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland
    I agree, Im afraid I don't rate Ian McCall. Clarke would need someone with a bit more experience beside him.

14. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    McCall was just me thinking off the top of my head, I think his motivational skills are good, with someone with good tactical knowledge with him he MAY do well. What I really mean is someone like him, who has worked with players at a lower level and achieved success. Someone who knoews the Scottish game and can motivate.

15. DarthTrickster

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland
    All true. Would have to be careful someone wasn't appointed who would intimidate Clarke, it would have to be his ship so to speak.

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I agree, Craig Levein would have been a fantastic appointment IMO, unfortunately it's out of the question.

17. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    An outside bet... Jocky Scott?

He's one of the 'old school' of Scottish football managers, and has done a more than decent job at most of the clubs where he was manager (he was the brains behind the Smith/Scott partnership at Aberdeen) but I believe he's just joined up with Bobby Williamson as assistant manager at Plymouth.

18. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 11, 2004

I don't think ANY of these names have the calibre required. It says a lot that the number one candidate has been out of the game for years. In fact, NONE of the names in the race currently have management jobs as far as I can see.

I just don't see anyone capable of turning things around in the list of 'usual suspects' listed so far.

I think we have to go foreign again I'm afraid but I don't even see anyone there who is currently available. Wash my mooth oot but ... Dick Advocaat?

Actually on second thoughts.....mibbe no.

19. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Humberto Coehlo?

Ebbe Skovdahl?

Ian Porterfield? :eek:

20. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    FFS!!! Are you really that stupid?! Have you no national pride? I'll admit I never wanted Berti from day one, I don't want a foreign coach and i'm not the only one. It would be another disaster! Do you work for the SFA? certainly sound retarded enough!

21. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
  22. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    On the subject of a foreign coach, apparently Zico, Phillipe Troussier, Nevio Scala and Winfried Schafe have been linked with the job. I can remember Troussier and Scala being on the SFA shortlist before they appointed Berti.

BTW, who’s Winfried Schafe?

23. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Weird German who used to manage Senagal. Don't want him.

24. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Why would it be a disaster??? Because you don't like foreigners???

The FACTS of the matter are that right now there is no Scottish coach who I can see improving things that would be interested in taking the job.

So do we appoint someone who isn't good enough just because they are Scottish or do we pick the best man available for the job?

I really don't see how national pride comes into this...I'd rather have 11 Scots in the team with a foreign coach than have a Scottish coach picking English diddies as we had under Broon.

But you've fallen into the old Scottish trap of lumping all foreigners together. One wasnae very good so they are all shite. I never wanted Berti from day one either as I didn't think he was the right man for the job but after he did what was asked of him in the Euro Qualifiers I was prepared to give him more time.

I didn't see Greece complaining about national pride in Portugal. Didn't see Korea worrying about national pride at the World Cup.

25. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I believe the SCOTTISH national coach should be SCOTTISH. Simple as that. I believe all countries should have managers that are from their own country. All the players need to be from that country so why not the manager? Especially in these days where the manager is as important as players. Personnally I see it as cheating to appoint a forgein coach, the national team should be about how good you are as a national at football, at playing and at coaching.