Scorpions News Thread

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by Hands, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you asking if he's as good as they are?

I'm not positive, he just hasn't played that much, which probably means he's closer to Bingham (youthful mistakes) and is more athletic than a lot of keepers.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 2 of the keepers I mentioned are starters in MLS. One keeper saw the two guys ahead of him lose their jobs and he still doesn't start, instead he is sent out on loan...

3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely understand. I dont' think SKC was ready to hand the keys over to the 21 year old ... the two in front of him lost their jobs because SKC wanted to get better. I think they did (at least with the starter). Kempin did start a few games last year and played well when he did. Obviously in this stage of his career he's probably not as ready (or as good) as Saunders and to a lesser extent Bingham. But his upside is likely higher than both too. There will be games where he is better and he'll likely make some youthful mistakes too. SKC likely wants him to make them in San Antonio as opposed to SKC this year.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the sincerity of your post, however I think that this is a downgrade for the Scorps. I would look elsewhere for a starter.

5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem ... I'm not even suggesting it isn't a downgrade at the present time. I'm sure it would be hard to find a GK that could be loaned from an MLS side that will be a sure fire starter the following season though.

6. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Think Lance Parker is still without a club after FCE release him last fall. He was a strong keeper for the Eddies since 2011 and one of the better one's in the league.

7. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downgrade from what?

Saunders and Bingham? Probably
    from Sattler? don't thing so.

Blando13 repped this.
  8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just came in to post that .... so then it appears that there's some pretty decent interest if they've received bids.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah agreed. That was quick. Mid to high 8 figures is $50,000,000 to $90,000,000? Not bad. How much has Hartman spent on the Scorpions and the stadium?

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question as he's done it himself/private investment so there hasn't been too much put out in terms of numbers. Given everything (including a market study the NASL did for a 10K stadium in similar sized market citing around 35M) and the numbers cited for what the expansion would cost (38-45m) ..... I'd say 40m is a decent working number for the stadium .... and we're going on year 4 now ... I'd put the number of total investment roughly around 50-60m or so. How much of that was out of his pocket and just how much private investment he got is completely unknown to me.

13. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if the Spurs are one of the team? Would seem to be a great fit for them and the price is not to high for them?
    IF the Spurs could get the Scorpions, I would think that would be the best chance for MLS, or if NASL struggles to survive, which I am beginning to wonder what the next step is for NASL.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.examiner.com/article/scorpions-sale-getting-close

From Chris Hockman, it sounds like a group has been chosen, and it is getting close to being announce. A couple of things stood out, is that it is not going to be the Spurs, and the transition will be over 2 years?

So wonder why 2 years.

16. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-3 against the Rowdies. Ouch. Looks like another bottom dwelling 2013-like season.

17. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If course you come out of the woodwork when they lose! Maybe this season you will stick around for not just the bad but the good as well!

18. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-1 douche.

Go back to your hole.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He might be in danger of being a troll. Investigation continues.

However, Scorps need to turn it around. That was a pretty bad game for them.

20. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously though, what happened to Zahorski? I thought he was under contract?

21. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a crap game by the Scorps for sure, but if you look at the history of the Scorps home openers, they play like crap? In fact I think this is the first time they scored?

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to turn it around ?

We've never won a season or home opener in our history. Seriously.

Of course, 6 of our gameday 18 have been with the team a whole entire month ! 3 of them started (2 on the back line).

This is par for the course for us.

http://pl.blastingnews.com/sport/20...ilkarzem-charlotte-independence-00335841.html

That says he's in Charlotte now.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense intended but Rowdies were away and their team probably has more new faces including a coach than Scorps. Just because the defending champs have a history of starting slow isn't an excuse to accept losing and losing that badly.

Let's just hope game 2 shows a rebound.

24. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And no offense intended but the Rowdies have played what 11 matches during the preseason, and the Scorpion played three and never had the full roster in any of them. So while they may have been new, they did not play as a new team, and to be honest starting out on the road is probably the best thing for a new team. Home brings extra pressure.
    And no one is accepting the losing and how embarrassing it was. But last I checked there are still more than 3 points left in the season to get right?

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was stated, we had practically zero pre-season compared to the longer than the spring championship set of games the Rowdies had. One team overhauled and got it together before the 1st match ... one didn't.

Nobody is accepting anything ... and the murmurs around the stadium were plenty loud about "this shit again" etc .... however, when your team hasn't ever won the first match of the season or the home opener ... the last thing that is taken away from said loss is "turn it around"