Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinksterAC

LinksterAC Member

Jun 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is certainly an excellent point.

He's coming around in a big way, in terms of his skills displayed on the pitch. He's already learned a lot at AZ.

The question now is can he develop the work ethic to take it to the next level? The best players in any sport have an incredible drive to be their best. In fact, the best professionals in any field all share that characteristic.

Work ethic, devotion to your craft. I've always thought Jozy could be great. He's on the brink now, but only he can push himself across.

2. Metzengerstein

Jul 29, 2007
    Jozy is doing GREAT at AZ. All of this hand wringing is ridiculous. It was one game he didn't start, and he still came off the bench and helped his team come back from two goals down to tie it up.

I think we're just suffering from not having Adu and EJ to kick around anymore. I miss those Belenenses game-day threads too, but we shouldn't take it out on Jozy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    As i predicted, Adu and Altidore were not going to get far.

The problem with our 'prodigies' is that if they show physical advantages beyond their age, and take advantage of them, that is mistaken for true potential in the MLS market. We do not have a strong college/reserve league that can really test players of such characteristics.

Now, his real attributes come to the fore:

His first touch was always crap, his fitness is not there, and he remains inconsistent in terms of scoring.

Altidore was born this way - a static, two dimensional player with some technique and a power shot, but no finish. Worse, lazy is a habit and its not going away.

I can't believe the MLS swindled Villarreal into thinking they could change him.

I know they were in trouble when i saw him enter as a sup for a Spanish Cup game vs a 2nd div team...and he was holding his hands on his hips, showing exhaustion after playing less than a half.

My friend called me a prophet when i told him in SA that he would not score vs Algeria. I just had to see the evidence of what was happening in front of us in the field to make that reasonable assesment.

The national team need to look for outstanding forwards elsewhere.
    This one's talent is for twitter only...

4. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    The coach was just making a little point to a player that needs some more molding. It's all good, and will help him become the professional we all want him to become. The overreaction here is absurd.

5. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting, because he was never a sub in the Copa del Rey versus a 2nd division team (Poli Ejido). In fact, he went 90 and scored, in each leg.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/75589/jozy-altidore?cc=5901

And in 2008, he went 90 in both matches.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose there might be another one of you in the internet...

7. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, true enough.

8. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Terrence Boyd. First time in the Borrusia Dortmund first 18 this weekend and he's a year and a half younger.

9. blackdeathFC

blackdeathFC Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    sorry if this has been posted already but i hadn't seen it:

Jozy's twitter: "There is no bust up with me and the manager people all is well. Just have to keep working harder and harder. #AZ"

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem with the manager. The problem is with Jozy. Someone should twit him and tell to show up on time for his occupation.

11. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, theres way too much overreaction here. His career isn't over for god sakes.

Greg Seltzer's take on Verbeek's comments:

12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    That we continually hear how he's having fitness issues and he looks gassed quite often as the games go on I think questioning his work ethic is legit, especially in light of hearing several coaches mention he could/should work harder.

Also, am I wrong is feeling like he's cooling off a bit? Seems like he started out the season scoring but I'm not seeing him getting goals the last few weeks. I really don't know the numbers exactly, just seems like he banged in most of his goals at the start, which got him a starting role. Now, the goals are drying up a bit so he's back to the bench. Sometimes the game is that simple. If you're a forward, score and you'll stay on the field. I'd also say these fitness issues and work ethic issues only get brought up when he isn't scoring. Goals really do matter for a forward and when you're not getting them for a few weeks, questions start being asked.

13. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

This is an accurate assessment, though not 100% fair. Just in the last league game against Ajax, he was making really good runs. One opened up space for a teammate that directly resulted in a goal. Then later in the same half he made a great run and would have been in alone on goal had his teammate picked his head up and played the simple pass.

14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I just think we sometimes over-analyze things. He stated out scoring goals, he immediately got more time on the field, was starting and everything was happy happy. He goes over a month without a goal and suddenly he's back on the bench and questions are being asked. That seems pretty straight forward to me.

Of course, we can try to get to the reason he's not scoring and that may well have to do with work rate. Just saying, Jozy starts knocking the ball in the net again and all the rest of the grumbling goes away.

Yes, forwards have other duties and all that and those runs and lovely. But if you want to make a living playing up front without scoring goals you better bring a hell of a lot of intangibles. And you better work your ass off.

15. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully said "@JozyAltidore Why don't you show up on time for your occupation? This has been a recurring theme in your career so far. Not a good sign bro."

His response: "Ok dad."

He just doesn't get it.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Wait... he responds to a Tweet from someone he doesn't know with what would probably best be described as humor, and this is indicative if not proof he "doesn't get it"?

Okay then, but you make sure to come back and say otherwise when he's back in the line-up this weekend or scores more goals.

1 person likes this.
  17. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better. I want him to play his ass off for 90 minutes, both offensively and through defensive pressuring.

18. strago

strago Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are out of your ********ing mind...Sports psychology is like the hardest thing to do with athletes. He's trying to motivate Jozy to find the next level. If he has to make an example out of him then so be it. Verbeek is going to break Jozy and rebuild him. Come back to this post in 2 years and I will eat crow if Jozy doesnt hit the next level...

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am ALWAYS flabbergasted and astounded at the audacity and ignorance of fans who actually do this and, even worse, are actually shocked when the PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE responds with anything less than a plea for forgiveness.

It happened with Adu too.

1 person likes this.
  20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You seem to be pretty f*cking clueless actually. Why should Jozy take the tweet of some starstruck superfan douchenozzle seriously?

What have you accomplished in your life that would make Jozy take to heart the advice of one of his twitter followers?

2 people repped this.
  21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overreaction. Let's see what happens.

22. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is on a social media site where he engages his fans. I made a comment to him. He can simply ignore it if he doesn't like it. I sincerely hope he makes me eat crow and proves me wrong, but you're right... he owes me nothing.

23. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he can reply to point out that you aren't his dad, that he doesn't even know you, and that you're out of line giving him sanctimonious lectures about something that, fundamentally, is none of your business.

And he can do it bluntly like that or he can do it much more politely in the form of a joking reply.

And you're accusing him of not getting it?

Just because people are famous and on social media doesn't mean that they have to nod contritely whenever randos presume to pass judgment on them from thousands of miles away.

2 people repped this.
  24. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but calling someone you've never met "bro" is not respectful, it's actually incredibly condescending.

1 person likes this.
  25. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thing , Bro.

:D

1 person likes this.