Scolori will pick the National team on Friday

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Roy Da Silva, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Maisfootball.com reports that Scolori will name the national team for it"s game vs Luxembergh on November 17 2004. It will be named at 12:30pm Portugal time. Do not expect much change. Scolori just got back from Brazil yesterday. On the November 18 2004. He will go back to Brazil until Feb 1 2005. Here is who i expect will get called. 18 players.

Goal = Ricardo = Sporting

Goal = Quimm = Benfica

RD = Paulo Ferriera = Chelsea
    RD = Miguel = Benfica
    CB = Jorge Andrate = Deportivo
    CB = Ricardo Carvelho = Chelsea.
    CB = Caneira = Valencia
    LB = Rui Jorge = Sporting
    MF = Costinha = Porto
    MF = Maniche = Porto
    MF = Petit = Benfica
    MF = Tiago = Chelsea
    PM = Deco = Barcelona
    LW = Simao =Benfica
    LW = Boa Morte = Fulham
    RW = Cristiano Ronaldo = Man Utd
    S = Pauleta = Paris St Germain
    S = Postiga = Porto.

Sice it is the last game off the year and it is vs Luxembergh ( I am not underestimating them) and it he wants it down and dirty.

2. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I think Scolari will chose Nuno Valente over Rui Jorge. I'd be suprised but content if he called up Moreira in place of Quim.

3. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Nuno Valente is still hurt and will not be called up. Moriera would make sense over Quim who has only played 1 game in the last 3 months but hey Scolori makes interesting moves and Moriera seems to be like Baia and not on Scolori"s map.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I have to agree I think Scolari will pick Baia before Moreira :rolleyes:

5. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    He will pick me before he picks Baia.

6. hardeggy

hardeggy Red Card

Nov 3, 2004
    [QUOTE=how about joao tomas from braga for striker?

7. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    That might be a good idea. He is in better form then Nuno Gomes is on now. But i think that Scolori will only call 2 strikers. It is only 1 game if he does call 3 Tomas would be a great choice because Almeida needs to play the whole game in the under 21 team. If Scolori calls 3 strikers Almeida would not leave the bench and he needs to play his 1 game a month ( Roll eyes) Are you listening Porto. Either play him or lend the Boy out.

8. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nuno Valente will be sorely missed. He's very under-rated on our NT.

9. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks to that comment he's just been over-rated...

For me he's the worst player on the team next to Costinha, not bad, but the left could be better...

10. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the left side of the defense for Portugal was not a weakness at all at Euro 2004. If anything Paulo Ferreira was the weakest on the Right, but thankfully Miguel came in and did a masterful job on the right. Valente was very solid.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In my dreams

12. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I also think João Tomás is going to be called, this time no Nuno Gomes, Postiga isn´t going to be called the same to Hugo Almeida, so its natural to call João Tomás.

13. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would be very suprised to see Postiga get the call up. He just hasn't done anything to warrent staying on the NT. The only players on the NT should be starters on their clubs..that means leave Quim off the team and bring in Moreira for Christ's sake. With Gomes out, I think Joao Tomas would be a good replacement.

Anyone think Scolari will pull a shocker and add Derlei???

14. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think that he has become a Portuguese citizen yet, but once that he becomes a Pork-chop, look for him to be called to the NT.

Hey, on that point, why not start a petition and get Liedson to get his citizenship so he can play for the NT, too?

15. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    Derlei won't be called up by Scolari. It would be stupid on Scolari's part...Derlei is already 30 years old and his form seems to be declining. We have better alternatives (Pauleta, Gomes, Postiga, Almeida, Makukula, Lourenco) that will ruffle less feathers. As far as Liedson is concerned, I think he's played for the Brazilian NT. But I would love to have this guy as our striker for the NT.

I'm just making a counterpoint to Aveirenses. Nuno Valente was very solid at Euro2004. Rarely made a mistake and pushed the ball forward....So, he will be sorely missed. As for LB, if Nuno Valente can't be called up...Jorge Ribeiro should be given another shot.

I don't think Joao Tomas is a good option...don't ask me why! I'd rather try out Postiga (even though he's not on form), Makukula (he's back from injury). Almeida isn't an option he's needed too much on the Under-21. Scolari will do the right thing and select Postiga (6 goals in his last 11 NT games I believe - not bad).

16. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I don't think Scolari even knows who he is. :D

17. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    u must be crazy, I would prefer João Tomás over Postiga any day of the week

18. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    I'd rather further develop a 22 year old [Postiga], then a 28 year old [Joao Tomas]. Pauleta will be our go-to-guy at WC 2006 if we qualify. We now have to find a second, and possibly a third option. I would take Nuno Gomes, Almeida, and Postiga(if he gets back to form) than Joao Tomas.

19. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    i would rather develop Postiga, but we need the best of them, not the the young ones, i would pick almeida over Postiga too

20. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    How about playing Miguel at rightback and Paulo Fereira at leftback again since Nuno Valente is still injured?

21. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    They already tried that, and I was not impressed with Ferreira's handling of the ball on the left side, but I think Scholari will give him another chance as Luxembourg doesn't have a team that will press him too hard.

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    if quaresma or mendes not on the team i will puke . scolari needs to see these guys play no respect ill tell you.

23. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    Well get u'rself hunkered down by a toilet...cause Quaresma is too valuable to the Under-21 team at the moment, and there isn't any room for Pedro Mendes as a defensive mid.