Scolari...my question to you is why?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7, Jul 1, 2005.

1. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO
    Scolari...my question to you is why? Why do you kid yourself in thinking Pauleta is Portugal's Only Striker...:rolleyes: !!! I say Hugo Almieda. This is a poll to all my Portuguese out there, who should be at the striker position for Portugal:

A) Pauleta

B) Nuno Gomes

C) Helder Postiga

D) Ricardo Vaz Te

E) Hugo Almieda

F) Derlei

G) Oh God Help Us, we're doomed!!!

2. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Would've been a better poll... if there was indeed... A POLL!

Postiga could be the guy for the job. I'll stick by him even if he gets demoted to the reserves. The guy need his chance in the sun.

3. ronnie86

ronnie86 New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    almeida has to play more games....and score goals tooo...

Vaz Te needs to be in the first team and score goals.

Postiga is the only choice at the moment... i hope that changes

4. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would still start Pauleta...but if he's not up to par in a game I would sub him for Postiga, but in the 60th minute not the 85th like Scolari tends to do...

5. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would go with Postiga, i think Pauleta is finito :cool:

6. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO
    sorry guy's i don't know how to make this thread into poll format.:eek:

7. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    PM Biggyv he'll do it for ya :cool:

8. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    You forgot to include h) ME!

I think I would be the best alternative for Portugal at WC in Germany! But I don't play professionally in a top league. Maybe I will just show up to Portugal's training sessions and impress Scolari with my dribbling! Yeah that could happen. :D

Seriously now, Pauleta is our best option, Postiga is #2, Nuno Gomes #3.

Players like Derlei [too old to even try him out], and Vaz Te and Almeida [Proved nothing yet], aren't options.

And, No we're not doomed, Greece managed to win the Euro without heavyweight strikers, and Germany did well to get to the finals at the WC 02 in Japan/S. Korea, with Klose - who I don't consider to be better than Pauleta.

9. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Euro 2000 - Nuno Gomes RULED!!!
    He scored 4 goals, was a great striker!!

World Cup 2002 - Pauleta FAILED!!!
    Only scored goals in a 4-0 game vs poland.

Euro 2004 - Pauleta FAILED!!!
    Not even a single goal!!! And he missed incredible chances, insane!! Nuno gomes and Postiga scored more goals than him in the few minutes they played!!

Pauleta is only good vs AMATEUR TEAMS like luxemburg, malta, letonia, estonia, etc etc.
    TWICE he had the chance to be the striker in a MAJOR CUP, and both time he FAILED!!!
    Now with 31 or 32 years, why is he still playing??? Why is he going to be given a 3rd chance in a competition finals??? Because in this one he will have 33 and will suck even more???

If you fail in the important moments TWICE, give your place to another one!!!

10. Portugue_man_of_war

Portugue_man_of_war New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    NYC
    Derlei!?! You're having yourself a laugh!

11. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA

this has been talked about a hundred times, bottom line is until almeida starts playing and scoring goals regurly at top flight hes not takein pauletas place, beleive me im no pauleta fan either

12. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Scolari has already said this himself. Almeida needs to play regularly somewhere, and have some success. It's obvious who Scolari favors. Just look at who plays. Pauleta is #1, but Postiga is creeping up on him. Let me say this, however, about Nuno Gomes. He's the best striker we have in terms of team work. He's a very unselfish player, and with guys like Cristiano, Deco and Figo lurking about, Gomes can make these guys even more dangerous. Just a thought.

13. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Pauleta only seems to score for PSG and not the NT if you have seen him play for PSG.But why are you all saying Postiga?Nuno Gomes is a better striker,and im not saying this because im a Nuno Gomes and Benfica fan its true no Portista can deny it as much as you hate Benfica you cant deny that, i say Nuno Gomes.He's shown that he can do it with the NT i say put him in the starting 11 or stay with Pauleta.Because come on no way Postiga would get played over Nuno Gomes or Pauleta,both which more goals,more games and more games capped then Postiga.I can see people pick him because their either a Portista or want him because hes a young player.Why go with someone young when you have an old veteren that can do the job?thats why i say stick with Pauleta or Nuno Gomes

14. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Good points but you fail to mention that Postiga has played very well for the NT when called upon. He has been IMO, our best striker in WC qualifying. However it would be interesting to see what Gomes could do if healthy and re-energized.

15. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think Gomes would be our best striker if he was healthy but he never is. He goes something like 6 or 7 games and then gets hurt, and even when he's in the lineup, he is often carrying some kind of nagging injury. I think his days as the starter are gone.

16. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO
    well how is he suposed to do that from the bench??? I just think it's time Portugal wake up and see what's happening around the world, teams like Brazil, Germany, Italy and England , are giving there kids a chance to play and develop with there teams, why doesn't Portugal do the same? I'm tired of watching Pauleta not hustle for the ball and miss chances all the time. Nuno Gomes aint that much better and I think they should atleast give a chance to Almieda or Postiga or both!!!

17. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The problem is not at the national team level, it's at the club level. Look through any Portuguese club in the superliga and try to count how many Portuguese strikers are on their rosters. At least 80% of the strikers are Brazilian. Players like Postiga and Almeida sat on the bench for Fabianos. It's as simple as that. The lack of striker options is the direct result of clubs not giving young Portuguese strikers a chance.

18. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO
    What I Mean by Both is: 2-3-2-3 system

Postiga Almieda

Ronaldo Deco Figo

Maniche Miguel

Andrade Carvalho Ferriera

Ricardo

19. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO

So what your saying is where screwed, we stick with old man Pauleta and wtch are World Cup dreams fall again.... dude my heart can't take anymore disapointment:(

20. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think Scolari made it clear about guys like Almeida. He said they need to play regularly at the club level and he's right. Basically, he's saying his hands are tied for now.

Scolari is playing the cards that are dealt to him.
    Pauleta: struggling but is playing regulary at PSG
    N. Gomes: often injured
    Postiga: plays ok with the NT but there are no guaranties he will start with Porto next year
    Almeida: no one even knows where he will be playing next season

He doesn't have the option of playing an Adriano, Ronaldo, Robinho, or even a Liedson.

21. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I just don't understand why people keep bringing up his name...
    What the heck has he done, he did nothing at Porto, he wasn't even a regular at Boavista had little impact on the U21, if any. You guys are crazy if you think Scolari should start Almeida ahead of Pauleta.

22. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    His main asset is his size and strength. At the u21 level he has been pretty good. but I agree, even at Boavista he is often coming off the bench. Under normal circumstances, players with 3 or 4 goals in a season (like Postiga and Almeida) should never be an option but this is the current nature of Portuguese soccer. Until club teams have more confidence in our own players..this will continue.

23. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada

Amem. It is hapening again this year with Porto, Sakota, The Argentine guy and Mcarthy all ahead of Postiga and Almeida is 5th on the chart. I hope he gets loand out at the start of the year.

24. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I would like to see Hugo Almeida playing for the NT, he only needs to get playing time to show he is a great striker.

25. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Actualy i forgot to comment on Postiga's good games for the NT,he is a good player i'd like to see him play more but not as the number 1 striker.I dont think he would do well as the starter,but i do believe he would do good off the Bench sort of a super sub but not completley if you know what i mean.And i do agree with you Paul he has been our best Pauleta is slowly falling off,which is somethign i dont want to see.Hes one of my favorite strikers which makes me not want him on the bench like i cant let go lol,i cant stand him seeing not scoring any goals BUT i also love Nuno Gomes two i grew up watching him and he was my favorite player and still is.But Postiga shows up for our NT but not club i dont understand it,but hey whatever works for our team to reach the finals and win the World Cup is fine by me