Schwarzer to leave 'Boro

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CaliManU, Jan 6, 2006.

1. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Article from ESPN.com

Would a Tim Howard move to Middlesbrough be a good fit? Would they be interested? Would he be interested?

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's a keeper, so he could fit anywhere, I'd think. But they'd have to be interested, and ManU would have to first contacted then convinced to be interested in selling, or loaning.
    Does Silkman represent any Americans?

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read the article...is Schwarzer that good??? He's talking about, if AC Milan come in for him. I think he's good, but not THAT good.

4. Vicar

Vicar New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Manchester, Langley
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I strongly suspect that McClaren will now go after Bolton's Jaaskelainen.Jussi is unsettled at Bolton and has hinted that he would like to move. This could then open the door for Tim to Bolton.

5. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    I'm not really sure that any Premier League team would be interested in Tim as anything more than a stopgap measure.

6. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was hopin less of a move for timmy but more for schwarzer to end up at either charlton or fulham to help solidify the D for our other yanks abroad who could really use it. just throwin that out there.

forza inter

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    A team that sells its starter may well be interested. There are Howard believers out there.

8. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I think Fulham just signed their back-up to Crossly, Warner, to a long-term contract so that's probably out. Can't say I've been that impressed with him, but it's not my checkbook.

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, a middling team like 'Boro (no pun intended) would want nothing to do with a young keeper who's already won Prem Keeper of the Year. :rolleyes:

10. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ya i think fulham would be wise to sign an actual good goalie...but ya not my wallet.

forza inter

11. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    Who won Keeper of the Year based on half a year's performance and then managed to lose the starting job multiple times over the next several years at times looking as if he lacked total confidence and making some major blunders along the way. Timmy has never lasted a whole season as the starting keeper at United. Sure it would be great if that award were indicative of his career as Brad Friedel's is representative of his Blackburn career, but anyone who has watched a lot of Tim playing for United over the last couple of years knows Premiership managers will hardly be queueing to sign Tim Howard.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I belong to those who think Howard needs at least a little demonstration that he is over the jitters or whatever was aling him the last two years. I hope I am wrong as the guy has a lot of talent.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Based on performances that took place 2 to 2 1/2 years ago. I don't see what relevance this can have now, particularly given what's transpired since. Otoh, the man YA loved to hate is doing ok in his job at West Ham so it's certainly conceivable that someone might want to pick Howard up.

14. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm basically saying it's a risk for 'Boro to take a flyer on Howard, but if he regained his form, and lived up to is potential, it would look like an inspired move. In their case, what do they really have to lose? I think getting Tim out of the Man U cauldron, and into a more pastoral setting like Boro, could help his confidence.

I don't know why people are trying to compare him to Friedel. Brad wasn't near the keeper he is now when he was Tim's age, and he certainly wasn't winning awards for his abilities.

In short, keepers of Tim's potential don't come along every day, especially not for teams like Middlesborough.

15. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    In addition to Carroll for West Ham, Ricardo is starting for Osasuna (currently 2nd in the Spanish league) and Barthez for Marseille, who have done well since he returned from suspension.

Once keepers leave the harsh ManU spotlight, they seem to recover their form.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    they aren't considering him.

Jaskelinen
    Kiely
    Anton Niemi

those are the names seemingly on the short-list

17. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    I only brought up Friedel b/c this is the YA forum and he is an example of a Keeper of the Year where the award is relevant based on several years of solid performances.

It's actually a pretty good point that Friedel has improved. He is a better goalie at Blackburn than he was at Liverpool. It also backs my point a little too. What other English teams were actually that interested in Friedel after he was dumped by Liverpool?

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    That's the first time I've seen Middlesbrough described as pastoral :D

Middlesbrough, confusingly nicknamed Boro'.

19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Hmm, not really. Carroll, as I said, is doing ok at West Ham. Not brilliant but no Spurs lob-type blunders either. Ricardo only played the odd game at Man Utd, and Barthez is still a clown at Marseille: don't forget his six-month ban for spitting at a referee!

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't know why threads like these keep poppung up.

It's pretty obvious that Howard is basically unavailible. It's hard to call him out of favor to, he's just behind a more experienced keeper. How many times has Sir Alex said that Tim is a keeper for the future?

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sorry but you just can't take every little statement a manager makes, particularily in England where the press games are unbelievable, literally, or even significantly.

22. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think extending his contract before the season was further proof of Tim's standing at MUFC and in line with SAF's comments regarding him.