News: Schoolgirl Fantasies - OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Nov 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Klopp played TAA in midfield a few times. IDK, he almost got an assist if Bellingham had a bit more time and space. Serbia came to life in the second half, but England deliberately dropping off.

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Tadic still has it. Or maybe not...

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    England would look better in a 3-4-3. Otherwise same 11 players. TAA out wide and Bellingham/Rice in the middle. Allow Stones to step into midfield like he does for City.

Playing like they do now in a 4-2-3-1 means playing someone extra in the middle, but there are no great CMs like Scholes. The reason Trent plays there is because he is the closest to Scholes for range and quality of passing, but he can't dictate like him and he doesn't possess his sense for getting into the area. He's too much of a winger and looks more comfortable playing from there, more Beckham than Scholes.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Is Connor Gallagher really the answer? Need more than just legs.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Sergej must think he's Figo or something.

benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Southgate will be the reason England lose this tournament. TAA in midfield? The ******** does he think he’s doing? TAA only redeeming quality is his ability to whip in crosses from deep…so you play him centrally? Good one.

8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Such a ********ing Southgate team...ugh. it's just...so... pragmatic...in the worst way.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not only that, he played with nobody who looks to run in behind, thus taking advantage of his biggest spike; the ability to play that killer long ball.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That could have gone either way second half.

To steal & mangle a line from sweet caroline - so deep, so deep.

Southgate doesnt do tactics and doesnt know how to setup a successful midfield.

Plus is that we won an opening euro game - which is pretty rare. Especially on the back of poor recent form.

Negative is that we still fail to be front foot even after opening the scoring. Better teams will (again) punish such boring negativity.

Holy__Joe repped this.
  11. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    England other than a few moments looked pretty plain yet everyone's already going off on them

Luckily I am flying out to Germany tomorrow so will escape the wank at work here in Manchester for a few days. With an 8pm KO on a Sunday at least I know no-one will get anything done tomorrow.

Day pissing about in Berlin and then onto Leipzig for Portugal vs Czech

Dage, benni..., Deadtigers and 2 others repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Have a beer for those of us that can't be there.

SF19 repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same old Southgate bs

no left back and a player left wing who cuts inside with no hint of an overlap from rice or trippier

make it make sense. Gosling a goal up and the. Sitting off never works in big games, he should know this from the last euro final

very frustrating even though we won

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The funny thing is everyone was happy with TAA in midfield beforehand. At least from what I was reading.

I agree with you though, was never a good idea against a solid side. Serbia played well I thought yesterday. They dominated the 2nd half.

Watching TAA recieve the ball with his back to goal, take 2 or 3 extra touches, just to get his pocket picked was funny most of the time, but after a while you're thiking... an international football manager thought this was a good idea?

Like what did he possibly see in training?

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah, that was very very strange. Bellingham ended up on the LW too many times for my liking. Didnt understand it.

I guess i can see @Sofabloke blokes point. With a left footed LCB, Southgate could opt for a 3 man back line to build up [only, not through out the game] and play an actual LW to help provide depth.

SF19 and thebigman repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Alex-Arnold is another one of these guys with fanciful ideas of what they are like Pavard, Walcott etc. and he just happened to play there in an emergency and then found someone stupid enough to indulge them in their nonsense.

a few games against weak opposition where they are untested doesn't magically make them capable.

i don't know why anyone buys into this. manager, tactician, fan etc. OK the guy can whip in a very good ball but there is so much more to midfield than that.

it's the same thing with United fans promoting Shaw as a viable CB option off of a handful of games where he wasn't properly tested. utter madness

SF19 repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’ve said in multiple threads, to get the best of our better players we have to go 343

it is a shame for Saka as he was good but this makes ten times more sense as we don’t have any one on the left

…………..Kane
    ………Jude…..foden
    Saka.rice…..Gallagher…taa
    …..guehi….stones…Walker
    …………..Pickford

u get width, a left footed player with pace able to get up and down, taa playmaking ability and backed up by Walker

rice and Gallagher sure up the middle and Bellingham can play higher up. Foden can drift wide right and play nearer the box

it’s worth trying as we will get beat easily if we play a top side with this 433 and taa as a cm

18. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I for one am glad they haven't worked it out, even living in the UK no team is as unlikeable as the English ;)

Belgium and Slovakia are slugging it out to see who can make the most defensive ******** ups. Belgiums arc seems over

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    TAA in midfield is a move you make if you have just a huge lack of talent in the middle of the field. But with Mainoo, who is 2x the footballer TAA is, on your bench you have absolutely no excuse.

Deadtigers, benni... and Holy__Joe repped this.
  20. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lukaku is still a Donkey

benni... repped this.
  21. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought Doku would have done so much better in this, faded out after 15

benni... repped this.
  22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Southgate - some gourmet ingredients in the hands of a McDonalds fry cook :)

He compromised the balance of the team for Foden and TAA and in addition to the significant issues this caused elsewhere, they both let him down with their performances too - so there wasn't any upside for the cost.

TAA _can_ work in midfield for Liverpool because of their high-press, it means that offensively TAA is deep into oppo half where he can from mid-way in oppo half deliver some killer passes.

England though were being played so so deep that TAA was ineffective where he was. Gaz Nev made the point that big ask for a FB to play CM in big games, as playing with back to goal is a whole different ball-game for a FB.

As others have pointed out though, Southgate has far better options but either not taken them or not using the ones he has.

Which in a roundabout way is Southgates biggest problem of all - his terrible in-game management when his plans aren't working.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mainoo wasn’t great in the friendly

I kind of like Wharton more at this point but Mainoo is a talent for sure

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mainoo looked average in one friendly (although for the goal Rice hung him out to dry). But in his previous few showings for England he was excellent and MOTM in one I believe. Plus he's just has way more to his game than TAA. I like Wharton but I think Mainoo has way more to his game at this stage and is a better partner for Rice. But I think either are better than TAA.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree, taa is a fullback

no point shoe horning him in