Schedule

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Jerlon, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Does anyone know when the A-League schedules will be coming out?

2. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    I heard...

mid-January

The Milwaukee situation may be slowing the release of the schedule.

3. FigoB1

FigoB1 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Virginia
    I heard January 21st is the date. There are 2 schedules; 1 with Milwaukee and 1 without. What a crime if for the 2nd year in a row a team that played in the Final wasn't even around the next year!

4. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I have it from a trusted source that it might be as late as February now. The League is doing a back-up schedule just in case the Rampage fold.

I would think they would be taken over by the league first though, it's too good of a francise to let fold.

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a 12/31/2002 article in the Milwaukee paper, when asked about the possibility of the league taking over the Rampage, a la Vancouver, A-League czar David Askinas said this:

"I don't think in this situation we would do that," Askinas said. "That (Vancouver) was in-season, and it was a situation where we had some good leads."

The same thing can be said about the Mariner's situation last spring. The season was underway and when a team is on the verge of blowing apart, those types of scenarios really are league emergencies. The whole season is in jeopardy & HQ has to step in.

Milwaukee's situation is different, it's the offseason and as much as I don't want to see any club go away, it puts all teams at risk if the league runs a club for a whole year. The USL can't have a lot of cash to spare. Askinas goes on to say that maybe Milwaukee sit out a year which would give the league time to drum up some new owners and transition properly and in an orderly fashion.

Here's the entire newspaper article.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/socc/dec02/107069.asp