Schedule of Events for RSL

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Lizzie Bee, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Nov. 9th approximately 20 members of Real Salt Lake’s first official supporter’s club, the Loyalists, met with Trey Fitz-Gerald, the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications for RSL. He discussed upcoming events and decisions about the team and answered Loyalists’ questions for about 45 minutes. Here is a summary of what he discussed. For the complete article, please go to www.TheLoyalists.com where the article will be available soon.

The dates of several upcoming events were presented, as well a basic timeline for some of the preseason events later on.

· Sunday, Nov. 14th: There will be an MLS Cup 2004 viewing party. The location has not yet been decided. Several members of the front office staff and perhaps their families will be attending the event (David Hale is working with the Skybox in Gateway to determine their availability).
    At MLS Cup, a coin toss will be held to determine whether Chivas USA or Real Salt Lake will have first choice at the Expansion Draft. The losing team will have first choice at the MLS SuperDraft in January, to be held in Baltimore.

· Monday, Nov. 15th: Each of the existing 10 MLS teams will finalize the list of who will be protected and who will be available for the draft.
    Also, RSL will move into new offices at Trolley Corners, on the second floor of the building. There is a lobby there where merchandise and tickets will be available for sale, and perhaps later there may be a soccer bar/club there.

· Tuesday, Nov. 16th: The protected/available list will be publicized and available for viewing.

· Wednesday, Nov. 17th: There could be a significant announcement to make. Dave Checketts should be in town for the announcement.

· Friday, Nov. 19th: The expansion draft will be held at 2:00 Mountain Time. This can be viewed at Skybox Sports Grille. The event will be open to fans on a first-come, first-served basis, and the media will be invited. The event will be covered live on ESPN News, so the fans are encouraged to attend, cheer and create some presence for this event.

· November and December: In the near future, Coach Ellinger will be choosing some additional coaching staff. He may be close to identifying his top assistant, somebody who would be “fresh blood” for MLS.
    Also coming soon will be special ticket offers for the holiday season. This will include some mini-plans and flex plans for those who are not planning to purchase regular season tickets. Flex plan ticket holders will receive some, but not all, of the benefits offered to regular season ticket holders. Details will be available soon.

· Mid-January 2005: The league will release a tentative schedule, which will be subject to change later as the TV schedule works around other events such as NFL games.

· February 2005: Near the beginning of February, the team will come together for a camp in a warmer location, perhaps Florida. Afterwards, they may train in Spain for a couple of weeks before returning to Utah.

· March 2005: There will be functions happening in Salt Lake to introduce the team to the public and build some interest and excitement. This may include things like “Meet the Players” events. This will be announced later when dates and location availability are confirmed.
    During the last few weeks of March, the team will travel to Los Angeles to train in the Home Depot Center and may have a preseason game.

· April 2nd, 2005: First away game of the season.

· April 9th, 2005: Possibly another away game.

· The week of April 16th, 2005: Real Salt Lake week, preparing for the first home game. There may be a luncheon on the 12th; also, promotions and events during the whole week leading up to the game.

· April 16th, 2005: First home game of the season. The opposing team has not yet been decided. This game may be televised by ESPN.

· During the 2005 season: Most games will be Saturday nights at 7:00, some Wednesdays at 7:00, perhaps a couple Friday night games. No Sunday games, except perhaps some away games.

2. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Manga Cup?
    or are we talking Madrid here?

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love surpises but..do you have any idea what that could be about?

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Fitz-Gerald was careful to not say. It wouldn't be "significant" if it was well-known beforehand, right? Our best guesses are:

1. Stadium info
    2. More specific Real Madrid information
    3. Specific player information

5. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004

I'll place $10 that its stadium info...

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    glad to hear the Loyalists are meeting with team staff. This is crucial for a good relationship. But remember, never be a shill !!

7. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    montgjules, great info, even for those of who will soon be ardent RSL haters!!

Kidding, hope you guys do great, I am confident you will! :D

Thanks again,

Lee

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    or an allocation?

9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were the betting type, my money would definitely be on Real Madrid news.

10. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tha hypothesis fits your info you gave from the meeting.

11. rsl neil

rsl neil New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Layton, UT
    I'll take that bet, I'm going to say it's a player announcment.

12. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Can they make a player announcement before the expansion draft?

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they can. Chivas has been making them.

14. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My $10 is on the announcement of a certain Keller as our first player. I'm very very confident it will be a player announcement. I'm guessing Keller.

15. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Keller get loaned to Southhampton?

16. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oh, really? Well maybe it won't be him then. Or maybe it still will, I don't know. But I'm -confident- it will be a player announcement. It could be one of the two local guys they have talked about, or it could be Brian Dunseth who is playing abroad somewhere but who is rumored to come here.

17. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
  18. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Dunseth has been playing for Bodens, in Sweden's second division. Steve Pastorino recently told a Swedish newspaper that he is interested in Dunseth.

www.soccertimes.com/americans/2004/nov09.htm

19. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    In the article on the internet about the Skybox Sports Grille hosting an event for the expansion draft, I noticed an interesting line thrown in there:

"At the event, fans will have the opportunity to reserve season tickets, buy merchandise, witness the historic draft-day events and interact with Real Salt Lake management and possibly players."

(http://real.saltlake.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20041112&content_id=18873&vkey=news_slr&fext=.jsp&team=slr)

So...if you might get a chance to meet players, that would mean that they might already have some players, more than one, by the time of the expansion draft. That must mean they're working on signing players already before the draft. Please let it be Kasey Keller, please oh please. One week 'til the big draft day, and we will actually know at least a piece of this team's roster.

20. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
  21. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Who won the coin toss? All I saw of it was Dellacamera saying "they did a coin toss before the game to determine who gets the first pick of the expansion draft." Then they showed footage, with someone calling heads, they flipped the coin, and then they cut the footage and didn't tell us who won it. Amateurs.

22. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    that was a tad ridiculous, can't find the result

23. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Talk about amateurs, how about before the commercial they said, "When we come back, a word from David Beckham." I didn't think they actually meant like, one word.

"This is David Beckham and you're watching the MLS."

Thanks.

I thought maybe he was going to say, "See you in Salt Lake for the Real opener."

Anyway, maybe someone that was at the Skybox could tell us if we won the coin toss or not. I thought if Trey Fitz-Gerald was there maybe he got a call on his cell phone telling him what had happened.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  25. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Thanks for the link. I knew it wasn't Checketts talking but I expected Vergara to be the other guy.

ESPN did go heavy on style and loss some substance.

Again thanks for digging up the link. I hate mlsnet this time of year when real content seems to disappear. I've basically avoided it.