Scandinavian/Nordic non-football thread

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Ceres, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Are some american cars coveted blant raggare?

2. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Absolutely ! Especially close to the Swedish border down in Østfold . You probably know Norwegians invade Sweden every year on Skjærtorsdag

I know there is a amcar parade in Lillestrøm 4`th of July every year

And you have the meeting Point at Tyrigrava where MC and Amcar meets every week .

3. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Javisst! Jeg gikk på gymnasium i Lillestrøm. I thought perhaps the fad had died out since attitudes toward the USA have changed since I lived there.

vifvaf repped this.
  4. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    No the tradition has not faded. People still love the god things from America ;)

5. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Nordic laundry

6. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Amen brother, but I don't think you nordmenn like the "god" things so much as what you perceive to be the "good" things. Then again god=good if you are speaking Norwenglish! (Just joking around of course,)

We do the same here, in a way, european cars often have more status than american cars in certain circles. An ordinary Volvo will get you labeled here as a well off, liberal minded, granola eating outdoor fanatic who thinks the nordic economic model is the only way to go (until their taxes skyrocket!)

I tried my luck at living the nordic dream and interviewed for a job in Asker a long time ago, but it was not to be. The barriers to immigration were just too high to overcome at that time, so I had to come back home and build a shortwave radio in order to hear anyone speaking norwegian on a regular basis. How the internet has changed the world!

7. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Haha my bad :ROFLMAO: Good God :rolleyes:

Its not easy to get a chance as an imigrant here. Might be more easy for some then others .Same with different Jobs. Some job markeds are harder to get a chance then others.

8. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Some fresh "ragger" råne music from Norway

9. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norways toughest

10. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Immigration generally eluded Norway until the early 1970's when the first wave of pakistani and turkish immigrants appeared and disrupted the extreme homogeneity of norwegian society and eventually created the development of anti-immigration sentiment. I was told many times how racist american society was by norwegians who never experienced any heterogeneity. Even today with a relatively homogeneous population, immigration and racism are hot topics in norwegian politics, as the integration of diverse populations is no easy task that no country has mastered.

The biggest barrier to immigrants like myself at the time was the need to prove that no Norwegian could be found to perform the job, so only highly specialized skills for specialized jobs were open to north americans like myself at the time, even though I would have been quickly integrated into norwegian society.

11. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  12. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Congrats on Carl Bilt`s Tweet today Sweden :confused: Where do you find these people ?
    Quote : The defense forces of Sweden in 1940 weren’t stellar, but still stronger than the Norwegian and in particular than the Danish. Had Hitler decided to invade Sweden it would have been a fight.

WTF ? I know the Swedish forces where stronger than the Norwegian and the Danis forces. But to post this on June 9`th is quite special for a country that chose to not fight the Nazis!

We still remember our fallen from the war! We do not take our freedom for granted!

13. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    WWII and Norway’s participation in the war is still a sensitive subject, ser det ut.

What were you taught about how to judge Quisling and other Nazi collaborators for example?

I met several brave Norwegians who participated in resistance activities and also who narrowly escaped Nazi capture.

14. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Absolutely . Especially when the criticism comes from someone who was neutral during the war.
    Quisling is still used as an insult and a example for traitors today .

The Norwegian Government(located in London) made a new law(Landsvikere og landssvikoppgjøret ) when the Germans capitulated. The death penalty was again taken to use in Norway . And even today people can say that people they see as traitors should be shot at Akershus festning (As a saying)

Quisling committed coup d'etat all the things that came with it. Appointed himself head of government .Deporting Norwegian Jews to Auschwitz, he called for war effort for Germany, the revocation of mobilization order and so on.
    Quisling was shot at Akerhus Fortress 24 October 1945 .

Yes the Norwegian people was vengeful. But for a reason. Im sure some people got wrong punnishment .
    Norwegians that who enlisted in the service of the Waffen SS was sentenced to forced labor in vrious time, and lost their civil rights for mostly 10 years.

15. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I’m familiar with Norwegian WWII history after studying it at the gymnasium , I was more interested in how your generation views Quisling, if he was humanized at all and if you were still grappling with the morality of the capital punishment of Quisling given that Breivik lives in relative luxury compared to Quisling

16. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I Guess we have started to look at things from more than one Point of View now.
    Actually there is a documentary on NRK (Frontkjemperne) with the story from some of the people that chose the German side . They tell their story about why, how and where.

But to answer your question. Yes Quisling is still seen as a traitor. And not many has questioned his or others verdict. If Norway was to go to war today, and someone had committed treason against Norway like Quisling did. Then I'm not sure our human values would stand very long. But everything was quite different in Norway in 1945 compared to now. And massmurder is something different then war.

17. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks for your perspective. I communicate with several norwegians every day and it is always interesting. One organization has attempted to measure norwegian culture and many other countries for many years in an attempt to help business managers know how to manage their foreign colleagues, given that cultural differences can be misinterpreted. The thing that stands out amongst Norwegians in these studies is below. I am curious if you agree with this objective assessment. Not surprisingly, Sweden and Norway score similarly in the testing.

Norway scores 8 and is thus the second most Feminine society (after the Swedes). This means that the softer aspects of culture are valued and encouraged such as leveling with others, consensus, “independent” cooperation and sympathy for the underdog. Taking care of the environment is important. Trying to be better than others is neither socially nor materially rewarded. Societal solidarity in life is important; work to live and DO your best. Incentives such as free time and flexibility are favoured. Interaction through dialog and “growing insight” is valued and self development along these terms encouraged. Focus is on well-being, status is not shown. An effective manager is a supportive one, and decision making is achieved through involvement.
    https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country/norway/

18. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Seems to be quite spot on .

What is the Swedish perspective on the war today ? Would Sweden acted differently today ?

19. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

20. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I suspect you are misinterpreting what the researchers mean with "feminine" values and masculine values. A feminine value would be to find work-life balance, to find a balance between your work life and your home life instead of working relentlessly to be the best and make the most money, as is more the american custom which is considered a masculine value. Also, the idea of janteloven would be considered a feminine value, boasting about your status would be a masculine value.

21. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think get what the tex is saying. Still I guess there are several topics and angles that isn't considered in this objective assessment. I do not know in what context the answers come from. Who asked the questions, why, where and so on. Norway and Sweden are masculine and femenine in different areas and ways. The same applies for Denmark and other European contries. But Norway and Sweden have a high score on those types of tests when it comes to equality and inclusion of women in the labor market and elsewhere in society as equals .

And yes the is a hight focus to recognize the power of the feminine to.

22. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Yes, no test can measure the complexity of any society, generalizations and averages are necessary, but it is this focus on equality and inclusion that you reference that makes Sweden and Norway stand out and are considered feminine values as opposed to den sterkeste rett masculine values other cultures think is important.

23. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yet another different May 17th .

24. Alexfan

Alexfan New Member

May 25, 2021
    Collection of soccer chants
    If you have ideas, you can publish yours. It is better to do this before the match with the team of your country. Or before the match of the opposing team)
    https://fan-million-wall.com

25. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Long time no see. Russia seems to be ready to attack Ukraine. Sweden has sent troops to Gotland. And the Finnish military has enhanced their military readiness. Denmark has sendt military ships to the Baltic Sea. Norway has not enhanced their military readiness to my knowledge.