Scandinavian/Nordic non-football thread

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Ceres, Apr 2, 2011.

1. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yes 17 mai toget seems to be cancelled . There has been a suggestion to have a celebration in August . But this seems like a bad idea. Im sure we will cope with a celebration only with our family and near friends . Norway and Denmark has now stated that they slowly will open the elementary School . April 20 the kindergartens and elemantry schools will open.
    In Norway we have opened for kids sports again. Strictly regulated with no contact, disinfection of the equipment like balls and cones in football before and after the workout. And only 4 kids pr adult .

2. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    #552 vifvaf, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    I must say I'm quite impressed with how people have adapted so fast to the new way of life. Teachers online with the children and the online tasks . The children handing in the work online. Kindergarten children getting greetings online from the pedagogues and the kindergarten. People working from home while helping their kids with school or entertaining their small children. People are awesome and hoping with the situation .

We have long way to go . But let's take it one step at a time.
    For my best menn are my best friends , they are the one you need when the shit hits the fan. So call your hands and sing ;)

And I'm sure most of the graduates are quite bummed with not being able to celebrate their graduation party time.

3. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Agree . Well made films

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I see little has changed since i lived in Norway in this regard. I read about the hytteforbudet in the aftenposten and assumed it would cause much angst, especially during påskeferien.

Sorry about mixing languages, I tend to think in Norwegian when I think about Norway and a word like “cabin” just doesn’t mean the same as “hytte» since it is so culturally significant to being typical Norwegian

BTW I lived on a hill overlooking Åråsen next door to Tommy Lund and became a LSK/ fotball fan. I assume you know who he was

5. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You are absolutely right. Hyttefolket has withdrawals :p

No problem with the language . Not all Norwegian word can be translated directly like you say .

Yes Tom Lund is a legend in Norwegian football . Loved by many and hated by others. ;)

[​IMG]
    Before the derby in 2013 :whistling:

6. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  7. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Yea- Tommy didn't go for the big money and his loyalty to LSK is legendary. As an american I had never witnessed such passion for a sports team and I became hooked on the sport, only to eventually come home in 1976 and never be able to go to a football match for 20 years.

Things are much different now and national teams like Norway are not seen as a huge challenge for the USMNT. I do think that Norway will be very difficult to beat quite soon with the obvious talent of Håland and Ødegaard, they are fun to watch. We also have rising talent in Pulisic and the 17 year old who sometimes plays alongside Håland(Reyna).

8. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    #558 IFKgötet1, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    170 dead swedes today due to corona (officially). This scanian is fed up

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    According to the latest news and prognosis from the Uppsala University in Sweden, probably somewhere between 52,000 and 183,000 Swedes are going to die due to the Coronavirus, because in worst case scenario, there will only be room in hospitals for 1 out of 40 in need of intensive care, so perhaps they may only be able to save 1 out of 40 who could have been saved :

https://samnytt.se/ny-prognos-mellan-52-och-183-tusen-svenskar-kommer-att-do-av-corona/

vifvaf and IFKgötet1 repped this.
  10. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg

Yikes! Scary developement. Big problem also seems to be that the virus has taken a stronghold inside eldercare centres. A big portion of the folks seem to be people born abroad like syrians etc where Stockholm also taking a blunt of it. Tegnell and the authorities involved have ********ed it up big time. Swedes went against the grain nonchalantly to act like some white knight but really shooting themselves in the foot. Hopefully this ”präktig” attitude will be long gone after this experiance and folks here will realize that Sweden isnt a free zone from problems but quiet the opposite, and that the swedish solution to solvind issues not always might be the best option available. Sometimes we ought to look at how other countries tackle problems. The scanian I posted mentioned this. RIP Swedistan Im happy I live westward and in the country side far away from that warzone btw.

vifvaf and IASocFan repped this.
  11. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    IFKgötet1 repped this.
  12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Region Hovedstaden ( Capital Region of Denmark ) have made a blood test screening for antibodies against covid-19 among it's healthcare personnel and found that just around 4.1% have these antibodies.

A test screening for antibodies among blood donors show that among average Danes it is 2.9% who have these antibodies, so only 1.2% higher among healthcare personnel who obviously are in contact with people who are sick.

At the blood bank at Rigshospitalet (meaning The National Hospital, 'Kingdom Hospital' or just 'The,Kingdom' as it usually called) they did a test screening of 1,487 blood donors who came in on Monday 6. April and found that if these numbers reflect the general population, then the average mortality rate of covid-19 in Denmark is just around 0.16%, or more than 20 times less than the 3.4% global mortality rate estimate by the World Health Organization, WHO.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/d...i-promiller-danske-blodproever-kaster-nyt-lys

https://sundhedspolitisktidsskrift....glige-har-vaeret-smittet-med-coronavirus.html

vifvaf and IFKgötet1 repped this.
  13. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  14. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    How populære er these moderne vikinger in Norway, today? Viking reenactment is fairly popular here in the USA as are Celtic festivals.

15. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I wouldn't say modern vikings is a very big thing . There are about 3000 people "living" like modern vikings in Norway. I find that we use the topic Viking to find back to our roots, traditions and courage. Viking tattoos are quite common today. Still we use the the vikings and viking age in many ways. In fact we have Schools that teach history and the " viking way of life" with old hand craft techniques https://seljord.fhs.no/linjer/viking/ https://avaldsnes.info/viking/subpage/ https://www.uio.no/english/studies/programmes/viking-and-medieval-norse-master/ . I think it is the same in Denmark ? And probably in Sweden and Island to .
    Viking is a part of our culture and history. We tend to go back to the easy ways and nature when things are hard. Like our cabins , hammock or tents .

Vikings and the norse are also used in our military today . For-example by a war cry or symbols like the vikings ship in the Telemarking battalion logo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #566 Ceres, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Well, the huge Moesgaard Viking moot in Denmark you find here in Aarhus in a Viking "festival" once a year, where more than 1,300 Viking reenactors from all over Europe join up at Moesgaard strand :

https://www.vikingetraeffet.dk/english/explore-the-viking-moot/

17. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    IASocFan repped this.
  18. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I remember many a discussion with Norwegians who were ambivalent about Vikings due to their sometimes violent ways, reminiscent of American uneasiness with “cowboys and their violent exploits

19. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Hva mener dere om Håland og Ødegård? Jeg har ikke sett Ødegård spille fotball enda men jeg har sett Håland spille flere ganger, særlig med 17 åringen fra USA (Reyna). Håland kaller Reyna den «American Dream”

20. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Tråden heter non football ;) Men jeg tror de vil bli store .

21. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    #571 vifvaf, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    There are off course a certain focus on the viking topic through festivals, music , crafts such as forging and woodworking . But people actally living like vikings are not a very big thing.
    I know there are big viking festivals throughout Europe , like Germany , Poland and Great Britain .

22. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Yea sure, but I am not sure how many ethnic norwegian enclaves exist in europe as they do in the USA who are fascinated with their ethnic roots and celebrate Norwegian holidays with such pride as they carry the norwegian and american flags side by side. It is said that there are more norwegian americans than norwegians and coincidentally norwegian americans do quite well. They are wealthier than Norwegians on average and have very little unemployment or poverty, according to recent studies. There must be something in Norwegian blood that drives them to prosperity!

23. jjkoggan

jjkoggan Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Det er jo helt OK! Vi snakker ikke om NFL football, isteden snakker vi om soccer!

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #574 Ceres, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Coronavirus update :

According to official English statistics, black people are 4 times more likely to die with coronavirus than white people in England, and also people from the Middle East and Asia suffer vastly more, with the exception of Asian women. In Sweden they have noticed that 1% of the population are from Somalia, but they cover 5% of people who have died, so 5 times more than the average.

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/black-people-4-times-likely-die-coronavirus-bame/

Now before we start some tin-foil theory about deliberate genetic engineering and the Coronavirus to be "racist", it's worth noticing that according to the same statistics, especially the Irish seem much less likely to die than the average in England, just as the Norwegians have a tiny mortality rate, though this may also have to do with the size of country and population, not living too closely together and very far from the most infected, just as Danes and Germans, who live more closely together, but were quick to shut everything down, have an almost identical and fairly low mortality rate per capita.

The real question is what do the Irish, Norwegians and Norther Europeans have in common that would make this much of a difference ?, and this would probably be the ability to produce vitamin D, that seem to play a highly important role in our respiratory health through its effects on lung development, structure and respiratory muscle strength, and melanin, which causes skin pigmentation, lowers the skin and body's ability to make vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure.

So studies show that especially older adults with darker skin (and who would cover their skin at all times) are at high risk of vitamin D deficiency, while obviously a very pale red haired Irish or Scandinavian person, would be the most likely to produce lots of vitamin D and so have a much better respiratory health.

IASocFan repped this.
  25. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    75 years since the end of the war .
    Celebrated all over the country today .