Scandinavian Football Attendance Increases

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Shah, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Shah

Shah New Member

I have noted that certain Scandinvian league have seen major attendance increases among certain teams and am curious for the reasons.

For example FC Copenhagen are averaging 22,000 fans so far this season. This is an incredible number for a Danish team. Aarhus are up to 10,000 and Aalborg 9,000 most likely due to the new stadiums in those cities. Brondby are at 11,000 (no real increase).

In Sweden an even larger trend is shown. AIK are averaging 21,000 fans so far. Djugardens who I hear have moved from the old Olympic Stadium to the Rasunda are pulling in 18,000 a game. These are both wonderful figures for Swedish teams.

Another surprise is that Gothenburg's second club Orgryte are now averaging 15,000 fans. That is 6,000 more than IFK, interesting to see if some Gothenburg football fans have switched loyalities. Also in 5 figures are Helsingborgs at 12,000, Hammarby at 11,000, and Malmo at 10,000.

Rosenborg are also up this season to 14,000. Valerenga's return to the top flight has them averaging about 9,000. Brann are approching 11,000 (bit of an increase) despite poor play.

Football in Norden looks bright among these 3 nations, now if only Finland's domestic league could get more support. The more gate money, the more viable these clubs become in Europe. Their TV money will never rival the major euro leagues, but it is encouraging to see these rising crowd figures.

2. duttend

duttend New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    Oslo

this is ************************, ive lived in seden for 5 years and have been at MANY AIK matches, the average there is 12,000 per match.
    On Rosenborgs official site( www.rbk.no )you can c the exact average and that is 19,000 in RBK.
    but i dont know anything of danish football though, but i have seen that the fans there r very entustiastic

3. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    That's a correct observation. In Norway there has been a major improvement in stadium facilities recently. Most clubs have - or are in the process of - revamping their grounds getting rid of tracks to become football-only stadiums.

Rosenborg, Lillestrøm, Molde and Bodø/Glimt have all rebuilt in recent years. Brann are rebuilding at the moment. Stabæk will have their brand new stadium finished in 2005. Vålerenga have moved from Bislett (Track&Field) to Ullevaal (national football stadium) along with Lyn.

The league is also tighter this year than for many years. Increased excitement along with better stadium facilities plus good results in European Cups this year contribute in people coming to the stadiums, I think.

If only the League could sell the TV-rights to pay-TV like they have done in Sweden, I believe the Norwegian league would have had an even higher average attendance. Sweden has doubled their avr. att since they sold their TV-rights to Canal+ in 1998.

4. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DIF are still at Stadion, and still getting 12-13K a match

12,857 for the Norrkoping match today. DIF won 6-3 (8 players scored)

5. nebo

nebo New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Paris, France
    These are the current averages in Sweden (highest attendance for this season so far):

1 AIK 18564 (31948 vs Hammarby IF)
    2 Hammarby IF 14020 (27888 vs AIK)
    3 Djurgårdens IF 13280 (29423 vs AIK)
    4 Malmö FF 13217 (24570 vs Landskrona BoIS)
    5 IFK Göteborg 12627 (42386 vs Örgryte IS)
    6 Helsingborgs IF 11534 (16069 vs Landskrona)
    7 IFK Norrköping 10902 (16047 vs AIK)
    8 Örgryte IS 8968 (37736 vs IFK Göteborg)
    9 Örebro SK 7781 (11936 vs Djurgårdens IF)
    10 Landskrona 7636 (11613 vs Helsingborgs IF)
    11 Kalmar FF 7110 (9290 vs IFK Göteborg)
    12 IF Elfsborg 6749 (8888 vs Hammarby IF)
    13 Halmstads BK 6745 (10433 vs Landskrona)
    14 GIF Sundsvall 6481 (8255 vs Djurgårdens IF)

The leage as a whole has got an avg. of 10443 (up by almost 24% ! from last season).

At www.european-football-statistics.co.uk you can find the current attendace avg. for all European leagues. In Denmark for instance, it is currently Brondby who has got the highest average with 15168 per game. FC Copenhagen "only" got 14784 (and not 21000 which was mentioned earlier). Those two teams are the only ones above 10000 in Denmark.

6. Shah

Shah New Member

Soccerstats.com was my source, obviously an incorrect one. As for my mistake about Djugardens, I got some bad information about that. Thank you everybody for making me realize that the site I was using was not using correct numbers.

7. Shah

Shah New Member

It seems as if european football statistics has taken attendance off their site. I always found them to be an excellent resource, and wonder why they stopped.

8. Shah

Shah New Member

Re: Re: Scandinavian Football Attendance Increases

So Brann are rebuilding as opposed to making a new ground?

I also heard that Viking and Aalesund were building new stadiums. Are these still in the drawing board stages, or has work commenced?

Of the clubs you mentioned, Molde is the only one with a brand new stadium, while the other three remodeled, correct?

9. finlandsupporter

finlandsupporter New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Helsinki , FINLAND
    Finnish VeikkausLiiga clubs are also getting new clubs or expanding old ones. KuPS are getting a new stadium for next year & Inter Turku's Kupittaa Stadion is getting a new modern main stand.

10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Re: Re: Re: Scandinavian Football Attendance Increases

Originally posted by Shah
    So Brann are rebuilding as opposed to making a new ground?

Brann are building on the same site. The section behind one of the goals is next.

I also heard that Viking and Aalesund were building new stadiums. Are these still in the drawing board stages, or has work commenced?

Viking and Aalesund will be building new stadiums. Viking will probably change location, but Aalesund will remodel as far as I know. The actual building has not yet started.

Of the clubs you mentioned, Molde is the only one with a brand new stadium, while the other three remodeled, correct?

Stabæk will have a new one on a new location as well, but Molde is the only brand new stadium with moved location that is finished.