News: SBJ special issue on MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Mar 16, 2009.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tripp Mickle has led the way for an in-depth look atthe league. I have only read the main story on Garber, but it looks outstanding and every fan who thinks they can run the league better and "knows" how AEG "runs the league" needs to read this stuff.

Most of the stories are for members only so I hope to get my hands on theme eventually.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Good read on Garber.

A shame that "Madrid" is listed and not "Milan."

A simple type-o (mis-statement) that should be corrected, or caught by an editor, or something.

enjoyed this:

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That was a classy quote from Logan.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely.

I recommend people sign up for the free trial. You will get a few SBJ issues at home (which are always a good read if you like the business side of sports) but you get immediate online access.

Lalas is a puppet in this as usual. The other Garber stories are interesting, including the timeline of one morning in the office with him. The biggest story, to me, wasn't part of the package, but focused on VW re-upping for four years. Their league sponsorship last year was a "kick the tires" one-year deal. So much for the Beckham thing chasing sponsors away. :rolleyes:

5. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    So who is willing to sell one to a poor soul who isn't subscribed?

6. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $250 for a 1-year subscription, geez

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're in the business, it's invaluable.

8. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBJ is the sports business world's Economist equivalent.

9. JerseyTexan

JerseyTexan New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    They've got a bunch of stuff on Garber that's great. But they got the real scoop on Barcelona's interest in Philly. Is it just me or does it seem like something ain't right in Chester?
    Link

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    This is interesting:

"During a salary cap debate at one of the first expanded board meetings in 2007, a faction of owners favored a modest increase in the cap to $2.3 million while another faction favored pushing it beyond $2.5 million per team. Garber built consensus around the $2.3 million cap."

Imagine that an argument broke out among billionaires over $200K in annual salary cap. Incredible.

11. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beaten to the link but fascinated by Barcelona pulling the plug on Miami after visiting Philly. Whether related or not, is unsaid. The unsettling part is the financing still seems like a challenge, now I am waiting for people to blame Nick for the economy :rolleyes:

12. JerseyTexan

JerseyTexan New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Yeah, poor Nick gets blamed for everything but this is just a bad break. Hopefully people don't try and hang this one around his neck.

13. Garby80

Garby80 New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe that is one of the reasons why they are billionaires, they have all learned from the best.

14. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff. The Garber article needs to be stuffed down the throats of all the people who think Garber rolls over to Uncle Phil and AEG. I would of loved to of seen Leiweke screaming at Garber with him standing his ground.

The Philly/Barca angle is intriguing. Perhaps this is why Philly has put off announcing their team name and uniform scheme?

15. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still believe Garber needs someone with a soccer-mind in a Gazidis role at all times.

16. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'd like to actually have an MLS team representing CONCACAF in the CWC before I'm 90 years old, if I even make it that long.

You'd think they'd understand the value of the positive publicity that beating Mexican league teams in meaningful competition brings in the Hispanic media in the U.S. (a lot more than $2.3M), but evidently not.

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I got a free trial subscription last year to get a few free issues. If they still have that deal, I'd recommend getting it just for that issue. Last year's MLS feature was stellar.

18. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I signed up for the trial today. I wish it was cheaper though because I'm interested in more than just the MLS stuff, I mean, I'd be willing to pay around 100 or so, but 250 is just too much for somebody who's not in the industry.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't read that in the context of the upcoming CBA negotiations, you're not seeing the whole picture.

20. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Yes, we'll be hearing a lot of stuff from the owners/league and the players/union throughout the year and it will all need a lot of salt.

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Only on a soccer message board.:rolleyes:

$200k x 14 teams = $2.8 Million extra in expenses for the league each year. If all of the teams were making profits, then sure, increasing the cap that little may help out the quality of play a bit. But when, according to Forbes, only 3 of the teams had a positive income in 2007, it makes perfect sense for the figures to be calculated that meticulously.

And $200k probably means more to these billionaires than it would to you or I. If it didn't, and the owners just arbitrarily jacked up the cap whenever they felt like it, we wouldn't have a league to watch.

22. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    You need to expand your message board horizons if you really believe this!

23. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you guess which side Kraft was on?

24. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    try your public library, they usually have access to online versions of various catalogs.

25. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I do--and your point is valid as opposed to the others that have argued that the league's very survival is dependent upon having such a ridiculously low cap--but with the current economic climate, I can only see very slight, very incremental changes at best.

The CBA negotiations couldn't come at a worse time as a fan or a player, because management has such a trump card with the economy.