SBFC vs. ATL (II)

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Mookie141, May 18, 2011.

1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well we're finally back home! Hopefully we will be able to finish and muster up a win. We have players from the English national team and the US national team, both coming off of wins, so hopefully our members of both squads can keep the momentum going.

I feel like this match will be a key indicator on how the rest of our season may go.

2. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your statement is true for both teams. The winner will get a shot of confidence that might give them a boost in the lean weeks of the WWC.

Who do you think will start in goal for Sky Blue?

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We have gone with Bardsley for a few matches, but I think I see Branam in net this go around.

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the roster report:

Atlanta Beat @ Sky Blue FC (May 21, 2011)

Atlanta Beat
    Injured: Heather Mitts
    Not rostered: Colleen Flanagan, Katie Fraine, Angela Salem, Kylie Wright

Sky Blue FC
    Injured: Lindsey Johnson
    Questionable: Danielle Johnson
    Probable: Kendall Fletcher
    Not rostered: Kristin Arnold, Erin Guthrie, Jennie Clark

5. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    GK isnt a problem.

The issue is finishing in the final 3rd. Having a forward that can score goals on game day.

Coaching hasnt been great either. Way to much talent to produce so little on game day.

6. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    what itme is the game tonight?

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 pm eastern according to the WPS site.

From an "outside looking in" point of view, this team should be better than the record indicates. Three goals so far, one each from Nogueira (set piece), Kalmari, and Adriana. Where is Aluko and where is the midfield?

I know much has been made of Aluko's finishing ability (or lack thereof), but if you look at her WPS career, she has had fairly consistent output. Her first season with Athletica, she never had a four game stretch where she didn't score. Last year, it happened only once, when she first went over to Atlanta after Athletica folded. She's due.

This midfield should be controlling and maybe even dominating matches. Three national team midfielders (Heath, O'Reilly, and Sjogran), plus Long and Blank.

They should be very good attacking from the outside with O'Reilly, Heath, plus Taylor making overlapping runs.

In Atlanta, they will be facing a team that also has trouble scoring, five goals in six matches (including one penalty kick), four of which have come from Chalupny and Lloyd. If Sky Blue can stop those two, they should stop Atlanta's offense, although Lenczyk has been showing steady improvement and Patterson has good speed.

I know it's way early in the season, but I think Sky Blue has to have this match or it's really going to be an uphill struggle to make the playoffs.

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has rained in the New Brunswick area all week and I will be surprised if it does not rain by game time. I will be more surprised if SBFC's WNT players start the game.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Aluko equals Altidore, just can't finish when the game is on the line, and every SBFC game has been on the line with this season.

Nogueira needs to cut it with her little no look Ronaldinho passing, and put at 3-5 balls a game on frame and challenge the keeper, has a kelly smith type rocket for a right leg.

if fitz has a good crowd again, atl needs to come out with a win tonight, just needs to reward the crowd.

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we've had the Aluko argument before and I've made my point of how many important goals she's scored for her team over the past two years. She hasn't yet for Sky Blue, but it's only been four matches.

Maybe the problem this season is that she doesn't get to face Sky Blue. In 2009, she scored the first goal in a 2-1 over Sky Blue and the only goal in a 1-0 win over Sky Blue. In 2010, she scored the game tying goal against Sky Blue playing for Athletica. While with Atlanta, she scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Sky Blue and a game tying goal in the 2-1 loss to Sky Blue. I think she's played only six career games against SBFC and scored five goals against them.

I would like to see Nogueira put more shots on frame, that's for sure.

The game is at Yurcak tonight.

11. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I know the game wont be available in my area, but does anyone know of a web stream I could pickup? This is going to be a good game.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on Aluko. She's done alright in WPS play. I'm still pro-Nogueira, too, although I understand (to some extent) some fans' frustrations with her. But someone said a couple games ago that she seemed invisible in the first half; yet all Sky Blue's opportunities were starting with her quick one-touch passes in the attacking zone around the penalty arc.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I know about is a web/radio stream (no video):

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sky-blue-fc1

Chalupny subbed out at halftime. Something's not right with that.

Kalmari reportedly left the first half with breathing problems, but was said to be on the bench later on.

14. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I appreciate all the dialog going on here.

I still question Aluko's finishing and from the tidbits I heard from the England/Sweden match, she seemed to have a tough time finishing there as well. She's talented but she has to work on that. She was brought in to be a main cog of this SBFC's offense. If she can start putting the ball in the net on the chances and looks she gets, this team could really rise in the standings.

It's nice to see Kalmari getting them in the net. Hopefully she can stay healthy and up her game (fitness wise).

Heath and Nogueira need to cut the fluff and play a more "calculated" game. Do the tricks and things at the right time, beat people and get or set up goals.

I've always wondered how SBFC practices go because I feel like we may have the weakest practice routine in the league.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy we are up 1-0 we REALLY need a win today.

Now 2-0 Long just knocked in a penatly kick

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now 2-0 Mookie, looking good for Sky Blue. My sense of Aluko is she gets frustrated fairly easily. If she's called offsides a lot, if she misses a chance, if she's not getting fed the ball at the right times, she tends to get frustrated.

16. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I agree. I remember one televised match you could just see it on her face. She had a chance to go hard for a ball and put it in the net, but she eased off out of furstration. Almost as if by then she was "over it."

I hope she works it out, she's had a good resume thus far.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always got to love matchtracker, they give the penalty goal to Adriana, but at least three different tweeters said Long scored the penalty.:rolleyes:

Edit: They finally changed it.

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't like the new matchtracker. If you're going to have something that is usually the only medium many fans can follow it needs to be reliable.

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Reilly makes it 3-0. According to web/radiocast/whatever it's called, Aluko set it up with a nice pass. At least, she's contributing in this match.

20. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes! For the first time I am completely happy my spread was blown! Nice to see things moving out there. Hopefully they can keep it up next match. HAO has been in great form as of late.

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Aluko gets an assist, I'm loving my fantasy team right now. I've got Kalmari, Long, and Aluko, plus Taylor if they hold on for the shutout.

And as I type this, Aluko gets a yellow.:(

22. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Largest victory margin in the team's history! W00t! Attendance at 2,947, not bad! Atmosphere is reported as being great. Good stuff!

Chalupny received a knock to her thigh which is why she went out.

23. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Could not get it to work but thanks anyways, what a great game for SB congrats.

24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Once again thanks to Lorrie, RU, Crog, SoccerReigns, Cville, Newsouth, KolaBear, and SoccerDad for stopping in. :)

This reminds me that I need to step my game up and start hitting up the threads of our fellow WPS teams.

25. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun game (esp when your team wins)! A combination of SB looking better and Atlanta looking bad and out matched.

Kalmari appears to have had a breathing problem; when play was stopped for her, we thought she had a bloody nose, play resumed and she seemed fine, but O'Reilly was being sub in. O'Reilly did not expect to play much if at all tonight but had her best SB game in a while. After receiving a great pass, she beat and got around Lipsher for the goal. Reminds me of her goal in the '06 College Cup final. She is on a tear.

the pace & pressure picked up after Aluko came in. Her yellow came when she shot the ball in after an offside call and play had come to an end; the ref did not appreciate it.

Asante largely had her way with any Beat player.

Fletcher is largely over her ankle problem, she said later that she is feeling better.

2,947 at the game? generous. Is that about same # as the first game which people complained about attendance.

1 person likes this.