SBFC v. Philly 4/10

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by nightofrefs, Apr 10, 2011.

1. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    KALMARI! Tell Laura I love her!! Does anyone know where Bardsley is?

2. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    on the bench

3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    when kai and a-rod are on the same page making those runs...you seriously dont want to make a mistake in the mid-field and let the ball go over the top. nice game. best athletic pair of forwards in the wps.

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I honestly think Tasha is the more sharp of the two. One of them is going to have to step back and follow. That's why they aren't on the same page. I can pretty much guess which one will be leading. :cool:

Though both can be shut down if you have someone with the speed and stamina to keep up with them. Make no mistake about it. Neither are invincible.

Overall I think Sky Blue is off to a promising start if they can maintain and build on the level of play. They also can't get intimidated by players. The pieces are there and hopefully they will come together this year, because they're going to need an offense to offset the defensive deficiencies.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    agreed, i just like the fact they are physical, speedy and will run over defenders if they have too. also...martino and sanderson need to learn how trail them for balls coming off of keepers.

personally i like them as a counter to wny and jack. they can win balls in the mid-field and quick strike. i think that's how you deal with wny and jack, not holding the ball like boston and sky.

anyway...nice start to the season.

it's going to be crazy next week with that boston and wny showdown. i'm assuming marta, morgan and sinclair will be on the field. maurine should also be in the states. 6000 in boston.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I think I will disagree with you on this and I'm as big of a fan of Kai as I am of Arod. If you where watching the game in the first half when Kai was playing up top with Sanderson, she didn't even have a shot on goal or even a decent shot. Now this is the first game so you can't really say much.

But that all changed when Arod came in. And as for who was leading, if you watch the game you'll see that Kai was playing back a bit with Arod up top. FYI, Arod is faster than Kai but I think Kai is more physical and taller obviously and can win more one on one balls than Arod can. All this is to say that they are both good strikers and if they play more games together, it should be good for Philly.

7. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    1. True. Perhaps she was nervous playing her old squad
    2. I'm not buying that.
    I think Tasha has a more innate ability to create goals or chances for goals. Amy you have to set her up perfectly for such things, which Tasha did because she did set up Amy's goal. Also with Tasha I don't get why she was left up there alone in the first.

One of them is going to take a backseat, whether it be certain matches or over the course of the season. You can't have a two headed dragon trying to walk in different directions. It was obvious when they made their runs, one went one way one went the other. It's like tennis you both can't go for the ball. Sanderson really put in work last night, but her name is not on the tip of many mouths. It is nice to see Philly manuvering rather than muscling people off the ball. You guys may actually be tolerable this year. ;)

As far as foward combos go I think every team in the league (with the exception of the Beat) has one so, I don't any particular team is at an advantage based on who their fowards are. This year I predict will be more about midfield and defensive play.

It was fun to watch our midfield and know that we actually have one this time around. Casey's free kick goal was pretty DANK! I'm really excited about this season and seeing SBFC play. Hopefully they can keep building up that attractive soccer and close out matches. Bunkered down far too much in the back half. There was nothing to be afraid of on the other side.

8. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kai played herself off the NT... while Amy has been securing her spot... Amy holds the ball far better the final 3rd than Kai does.. we'll see in a few games just how Kai plays for Riley ... we know Amy is a stud for Philly and proved it last night.

9. UnionGray

UnionGray Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Lawrenceville, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AMEN to all that, especially pushing across the center line.

10. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain