#SavedTheCrew again

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mbar, May 9, 2021.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of related to new Crew Stadium/ownership...

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, I understand new ownership wanting to rebrand. I'd hate to spend 9 figures on a house, only to be told that I can't repaint it or replace the carpeting. It's a natural instinct.

I also understand the fans' perspective, but hopefully there are only so many Dan Zirins (obscure, old school reference) out there.

harrylee773 repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda like it. Plus it doesn't have any of that Precourt Stank to it :thumbsup:

Honore de Ballsac, harrylee773 and USA94 repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. What are you smoking?
    2. Where can I get some?

Paul Calixte and HailtotheKing repped this.
  5. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like buying a house. You're buying a business. Too many people buy successful businesses and their first move is to throw out the image and marketing which the community knows and loves. In sports, money is made of merchandise so a new owner often thinks a rebrand will mean more sales. That's surely no always the case.

ZipSix, appwrangler and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said Kinda. It's not completely terrible. Getting rid of the current Precourt rebrand would be another step in wiping that scourge from the Crew.

7. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or...hear me out. Keep the name and color. Logo rebrand? Fine, whatever last Precourt-era stank there is.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They better hope Nationwide is on their side, because no fans are going to be

99% sure I'm the only one who got that reference. Haven't seen him since COVID but as far as I know he's still around.

Related tweet from last night:
    1391187664343388162 is not a valid tweet id

Green and BLue, MPNumber9 and AndyMead repped this.
  9. whereiend

whereiend Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I get trying something to get a fan or two to show up, but we'll see on this one.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He bought a green Honda, Jason - because he cared. How dare they do him wrong like that.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw, Dan's a good guy. Yeah, he went over the top when the Rapids changed colors but still a regular at matches with his son.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way both ends of the c look like strong arms photographed from above.

CeltTexan repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'd like to say that was the weirdest Supporters Summit ever, but I'd be lying.

JasonMa and mbar repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I was there for the Sala Bucks.

AndyMead repped this.
  15. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Put a hard hat on the C and we can start talking.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, the Crew rebrand is awful. The crest is awful. A "C". That is it. Like the Reds, Indians, Cavaliers, and Columbus Clippers (Not to mention Chicago Bears & Cubs, Calgary Flames, and a dozen others). Pathetic.

And you drop the Crew but keep the absurd SC. And the we get some word salad about global branding? Hey, dumb@sses, hardly anyone calls it soccer, world wide.

Second, they blatantly lied when they said they were not gonna change the name or colors. Now they have done both.

The only things the Crew had going for them as an identifiable brand were the name & the yellow kits. At a time when Crew fans should be puffing our chests out, the FO takes our colors AND name away (with no consultation with fans or supporters about it). What a clusterfcuk.

Oh, and let's not even talk about the nepotism involved with Dee's daughter.

gunnerfan7, CeltTexan and RafaLarios repped this.
  17. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    i have a feeling this is going to go over like a wet fart in church.

at least frat boy knew better than to ******** with the clubs identity too much before he tried to kill it.

TrueCrew and superdave repped this.
  18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he though? He actively sabotaged the brand.

IMO, The Crew should just lean into their history and rebrand as Crew SC, or The Crew SC. Go with the bright yellow kits and call it a day.

RafaLarios and stanger repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would leave just 4 original names left, right? Galaxy, Rapids, Revs, and United?

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on your definition of original. :) MLS Original or original to the club’s heritage.

TrueCrew, Paul Calixte and JasonMa repped this.
  21. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Columbus had the sense to drop their corny nickname. I don't mind when teams employ a traditional North American sports naming convention (city name plural noun) or the traditional worldwide soccer/football naming convention (AC/FC/CF city name) but a lot of the MLS 1.0 names (and I'm including Chicago here in that group) have names that sound like a lacrosse or minor league baseball team name (city name action word/singular noun).

I definitely agree that the logo looks really bad though- the current logo would be fine with the new name to me. Given that the ownership group literally saved MLS soccer in that city, I wonder how much slack fans will cut them, if any.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

None. No slack whatsoever.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far the rebrand is universally panned by fans. Wouldn't surprise me if ownership reconsiders, various options available but just keep the name - Columbus Crew SC or any variations including the name left intact - Columbus Crew 96, whatever.

Chicago Fire's rebrand was overwhelmingly panned as well and will be re-rebranded next year. Just apply enough pressure to get the message across.

TrueCrew repped this.
  24. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    Let’s hope they reconsider. Crew is a legacy name that should stay. Fire is not IMO.

Our league should have Columbus Crew and Chicago FC/SC, not the other way around.

25. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Honestly, Columbus Crew is one of the dumbest team names in the history of team names. But at this point it is iconic and to mess with it is, in my eyes, just short of sacrilegious.

Unless you are going to rebrand them the Columbus Sigi Schmid I dont want to hear it.

sitruc, Alejandro 10, TrueCrew and 5 others repped this.