Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cool with one practice field being called Kirk Urso Field and the other Tom Fitzgerald Field. It would be great to memorialize them into club history this way. Their legacies are part of our folklore and future players should know their stories. Its part of what make playing in Columbus special.

HEY IM, get this awesome (mostly because I just thought of it) idea in front of your sources so powers that be give it some consideration.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on suggesting the second (Kirk Urso) tomorrow to those I know.... More about that later--if it happens....

3. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Alright, let's make one thing clear about Indy (why are we arguing about this?) when it comes to the Olympic sports or whatever you want to call them. Indy is a city completely developed around hosting large events and conventions. Whether that's the Super Bowl, the Final 4, or indoor cycling in the 1986 Pan-Am games, it is completely set up to host these events.

This is very obvious if you've spent any amount of time in the city. The reason these events are hosted in Indy is not because the people there have some crazy drive to watch indoor cycling that the rest of the country doesn't have. It's because the city is designed specifically to host people coming in to the city for a specific event.

jack sticker repped this.
  4. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Can confirm. As a drum corps alumnus and former band nerd I can speak to this on some level. DCI (drum corps) and BOA (marching band) are all up in Indy for their finals competitions every year.

POdinCowtown and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So it's the Midwest's Vegas, without all the fun?

TyphonInc repped this.
  6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you here?

LainfordExpress repped this.
  7. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    #6182 ColumbusFTW, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Like it or not, MLS 3.0 is a full blown arms race. You have to either spend like never before on DPs, big names, and facilities, or have a coach/TD smart enough to win in spite of low investments in those things (see: Berhalter, Greggggg).

Casual fringe fans ultimately care about two things: winning and name brand signings. There's no argument that the Crew leadership needs to honor the team's history, but fringe fans aren't going to care about what Bruce Arena did at DC. They'll care if he puts together a championship-caliber roster that wins matches.

Different sport, but Michigan pointyball has been caught up in overvaluing "Michigan Man" coaches and doing things "the Michigan Way" the last two decades. You have to respect the past, but there's a limit. You also have to be willing to evolve and do what's necessary to win, even if it's not the most palatable option. There's a balance.

Winning the right way is ideal, but if the goal is to pack a downtown stadium and be mentioned with the likes of Kansas City and Portland as "small market" and "business metric" success stories, we'll likely need to pinch our noses and swallow the medicine every now and then.

With that said....fvck Bruce Arena.

8. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirk Urso played in six games for Columbus. His legend stems only from the fact that he died unexpectedly at a young age. It is a terribly tragic event and my heart aches for his parents and family. I am glad he is memorialized at the stadium but I do not understand why he is constantly being brought up again and again.

I'm sorry. I am not trying to be a garbage monster human being here, I just don't really understand it.

RafaLarios, Jim Bach, JimmyD2 and 8 others repped this.
  9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    TBF, wasn't RichRod their attempt to go away from that? That went really well!

(I know, I know, but it sure is fun to remind Meatchicken people of that particularly sad chapter)

TyphonInc, TKyle and west ham sandwich repped this.
  10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors that Hairball is looking at NFL jobs in Green Bay and Cleveland.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Untimely death sure does seem to crowd out reason and good sense an awful lot, and seems to permanently install a neverending halo around the deceased. It's actually kind of unfair to the memory of the actual human being.

ZipSix, soccerncbus and hangthadj repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some issues with the above. First, the either/or statement is, I think, vastly oversimplified. Team's that spend wildly on DPs often lose, and lose repeatedly. There's been no history in MLS of rich, poorly run clubs simply buying hardware. TFC, last year and the year before, were very good teams with a huge payroll. They managed to win one MLS Cup, and didn't even make the playoffs this season. Atlanta seems like world beaters right now, but they won squat last year, and are about to lose some big talent in the transfer window, and their coach, of course. I've seen nothing of MLS 3.0 that convinces me that teams with smaller budgets, that are really well run, can't compete - and win - against the big spenders. And a lot of evidence that big spending teams that are poorly run will be unmitigated disasters.

porchlight repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Zip and Timon saying things much better than I could. I'm biting my typing fingers.

14. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    He said something snarky...if I got the wrong quote, so be it. Someone here knows it.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the Realist Fans at tonight’s dinner.

He was commenting on how the section does not do that chant that much anymore. God the apple does not fall far.

Robbiegoal, chr1st, kgilbert78 and 4 others repped this.
  16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s almost like management matters.

17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually agree with Timon on this whole thing. Kinda freaking me out a bit honestly.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, but I like Porter and argued that Arena wasn't the end of the world as several (including you) have characterized it.

19. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Go Blooooooooooooo

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, well you should have dinged me for my misuse of a possessive "it's" when I meant "its". Shame!

Flyer Fan repped this.
  21. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    There are still douchebags who have a problem with those guys. They are the same people who want pro sports to be Buckeyes++.

Those who understand pro sport are not a member of that group.

I can also have the opinion that I don't want Arena here, and it has nothing to do with him being involved with DC United. DC United is the cherry on top of no.

zman31 repped this.
  22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, I remember all those SIERRA MIST HEINEKEN HOT CHEETOS BROUGHT TO YOU BY FREDDY ADU and ANDREW SHUE MLS RIVALRY WEEK matchups between Columbus Crew and LA Galaxy.

It's completely comparable to Bruce Arena's tenure with DC United. They were both coaches.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You can be wrong on that and right on Urso. You contain multitudes.

You are an onion with may layers of wrong, but sometimes combined with other ingredients (like zip and mine's opinions) and sautéed into a lovely mirepoix.

chr1st, redi44crew, puttputtfc and 2 others repped this.
  24. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    When I go, I would prefer the halo around me...my actual memory may need a halo.

Tough day today, Chris Bradley passes, and one of my trial mates just had the shit show up in his liver. Really unnerving.

25. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    :D

For another fun Texas/Ohio connection, the Bluecoats started their slow ascent to the top of DCI back in 2000 when they began holding secondary auditions in the Austin metro area (Cedar Park). I actually attended an audition camp in 2002, but ultimately ended up marching with the Cavaliers from 2003 to 2005.

It's not uncommon at all for drum corps to hold auditions in Texas (Cadets, BD, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Vanguard, BK all do still, AFAIK) since basically half of the members in all of DCI come from here.

That said, looks like the Austin-area auditions moved to DFW a few years back.

Figured I might find one drum corps nerd out there, so thanks! :D

ZipSix and SLSHOT01 repped this.