Save the Sounders - Action Plans!

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Ultravolta, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    It feels awkward to start this thread as an outsider, but I feel it has to be kicked off by someone!

This threat is dedicated to inovative concepts to make sure that the Seattle Sounders, this precious piece of American soccer tradition, will continue their legacy!

First thing we can probably all agree on, is that the Sounders should at least remain the unofficial nickname of the future MLS team that is going to play in Seattle. Therefore it is vital to send no mixed messages to the MLS, the Seattle MLS FO, the press and the general public - so try to make sure that Alliance and Republic do not win the Vote-for-the-team-name election! If Alliance or Republic should win, the Sounders as a moniker for the team looses, simply because you've made a different choice! Do not believe you could have Seattle Alliance or Republic and Sounders at the same time. Don't think that just because it also works for a Man United to also have the nickname Red Devils, it would work out in Seattle - Firstly because United is no nickname like Alliance or Republic are, and secondly because United and Red Devils were not introduced to the public at the same moment - Red Devils developed over time. If you vote for Alliance or Republic you vote against the Sounders, so vote for the bland and generic Seattle FC, if Sounders should not be on the ballot! And each and everyone of you should try to make sure that others do so as well!

But don't let this hinder you to try everything to get the Sounders on the ballot! Write emails to the Seattle MLS FO (customerservice@mlsinseattle.com) or demonstrate your desires elsewhere, wherever possible! I personally don't think that we can mend their choices, but every effort is worth it, because the voting will not be the end of things!

If you make sure that Seattle FC will be the most popular name in the online poll on MLSinSeattle.com, the first step to save the Sounders' legacy is done. The vote for Seattle FC would state: "We want to follow global football (soccer) conventions and we want the nickname to derive from the fans!" This nickname will be Sounders when you make it happen! Apparently Seattle MLS' FO already indicated willingness to adopt Sounders as unofficial moniker if Seattle FC would win, and might even "work it into" their merchandize over time. If this would happen, this would "officialize" the Sounders moniker again!

But that Sounders would be the nickname for a potential Seattle FC can not be taken for granted yet. The general public will firstly refer to the MLS team by their official name. If someone does not enlighten them - through websites, blogs, press, flyers, banners, flags, scarfs, chants, etc. - they will not pick up the Sounders name!

I know that there are several camps in Seattle's fanbase that have different opinions how to approach this fight for the legacy. But seriously, if you can't put your issues aside you won't get anywhere!!!

Therefore, as an outsider but with true interest, I call you out to sit down at this table, to come up with some constructive ideas how to promote the Sounders legacy. Some of you are doing everything in their might already - valuable effort is put in websites, direct relations with the FO, with the press and with the supporters groups. But honestly, it lacks of coordination and it's missing out of the opportunity to fertilize each others' brain pools. Let this be a threat where ideas spark and where alignment takes place. This is no threat for stubborn discussions!

This threat is dedicated for actions! Act! Now!

2. RedzFan31

RedzFan31 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    NYC
    Thread?

Anyways, i agree, sounders needs to be at least the unofficial nickname.

My list:
    Atletico
    Inter
    FC/SC
    Emerald City whatever (sounds kinda classy to me, minus the "Greens" of course)

3. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to the upcoming exhibition games for the USL-1 Sounders (remember, Hanauer owns them too) and get word out. Bring signs or anything else visibly taking MLS and/or the front office to task so the ppl who aren't on BigSoccer know what's going on.

Talk to those around you and let them know what's going on.

4. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Ooouuups! :eek:
    Damnit! Can't edit it!

Anyways,

Eric is spot on! Show up at USL-1 Sounders games and spread the word there. The games are also good to create visibility with banners and posters ("Save our Sounders", "Sounders'll never die", "Let the legacy continue", etc.). The upcomming Mexico vs China match also gives a good opportunity to promote the Sounders name in this way.

Thinking of the supercilious article that got fortunately pulled again from MLSinSeattle.com, I wonder if it would be considered spamming if we take the case also to other boards of BigSoccer, to promote voting for Seattle FC to preserve the Sounders. I believe that not only fans of teams like the San Jose Earthquakes, Portland and Vancouver could be mobilized - I think this is in the interest of every true American soccer fan! I mean, as I said before I'm not from Seattle, and if the Sounders would not have their 34 years of history, I probably couldn't care less if Seattleites would get their favorite pet name. It is the tradition of the Seattle Sounders that stirs me up. It is the lack of tradition in MLS that I want to stand against. People all around the MLS boards are anxious how marketing experts impose their facelifts over the MLS teams. Fans of Real Salt Lake should understand your desire for a decent name and rebranding victims like RedBull or Rapids fans - even Galaxy fans, who were probably finally better off with their rebranding - should also sympathize with you. Actually I would be suprized if any MLS supporter would have any better arguments then, "please just not yet another bland FC". And when you explain them the situation properly, you should be able to convert them to support your cause.

Sooo, to put it in a nutshell, here my suggestion: As soon as the poll is up on MLSinSeattle.com lets start to promote voting for Seattle FC also in the other boards of BigSoccer. The BigSoccer community is a large pool to catalyse the efforts. Lets take advantage of that!

5. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    To be blunt, I don't think a kibbitz at a USL match is going to get you very far.

You need the attention of the PI, Times and Tacoma Trib. This is done by presenting yourselves as reasonable, but with a populist cause. A little organization, and some carefully scripted letters and PR releases is all that is needed. Give your movement a name, a logo and give it an identity.

Become more than just angry fans on a forum, and unite under a banner and a cause. Don't think that singing songs in an alcohol frenzy is going to get you the attention you need.

Don't scatter emails randomly and without a unified voice. Show you are organized, and show you are willing to do more than beetch about the situation on the forum. Otherwise, you guys will be dismissed as "angry hard core fans" that do not represent the majority.

You've already lost PR battle #1, the week the voting and names were announced, the ticket sales went UP. Also most of the coverage in the local press was largely positive, the "Sounders" issue mentioned in passing, but never in a way that the issue had major traction in this city. You need to change the perception, the issue is not a concern to most citizens of this city.

Please don't shoot the messenger here. I am just telling you how you can win your cause. This requires more than just anger, it requires organization and a plan. I know I get people upset by saying this, but I truly believe just griping about the situation won't get you anywhere, especially since the franchise is thriving despite your gripes.

6. MLSinSeattle

MLSinSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Although, I am ok with whatever happens ( I just want some good soccer), if you want to do something about it I agree with West Seattle

7. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    We ALREADY have the Times and PI on board. Steve Kelley said the team should be named "Sounders" the day after the PC. Matt Massey is very pro-Sounders, and so is Matt Gaschk ( they are the writers who cover the USL1 side.). I spoke to Gaschk just this past Saturday, at the Tbirds playoff game. He was very disappointed that "Sounders" will be left off the ballot, as you can tell from his story, that ran on the front page of the PI, not buried back in the middle of the sports section.
    We also have 2/3 of the KJR hosts, Groz, Gas, Ian Furness, and Elise Woodward, on our side, and want to be kept informed of any new developments, if we hear about them before they do. As for the TV sports people in this town, for the most part they are a bunch of tools. Case in point, the look on Silvi's face, last year, when Schmetz said "well, Paul, we all know how big a soccer fan you are". Paul looked like he had just mistaken the vinegar cruet for the wine carafe. :D

8. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well lets puts Mr. Kelley aside, if there is a bigger idiot in local sports journalism, I'd like to know who it is. A free beer, to the first person who responds "Art Thiel" as this is the exact right answer. :)

None the less, I am glad he mentioned the naming issue specifically. It's a start, albeit a weak one, because Kelley has the attention span of a butterfly on amphetamines.

There is a difference between someone in the media telling you they are on your side, as opposted to writing about the issue frequently. Actually to be more specific, there is a difference between saying "I think it should be Sounders" and writing "my goodness there is a serious ground based movement to make Sounders the name".

That's the kind of media, I think you guys need to generate, and I think you can generate it, with a lot thought and careful execution.

The first write-up is just opinion, with possibly a casual mention of the few fans that emailed to agree with the opinion, the second type of article suggests there is a populist movement, an insurgent movement to preserve the name. A far more powerful message, and the kind of media that makes a franchise take notice.

Now if the owners have whispered to a few die-hards here and said, "don't worry, the unofficial nickname is all yours", this kind of a organized plea is not needed, especially if you get such a promise in writing (ain't worth anything if its verbal).

If you have no such assurance, then a little organization will go a long way to get the media intrigued with your story. Right now, your entire movement can be summarized as "a few angry fans on a forum", and clearly poses no threat to the franchise as a whole, because their ticket sales increased.

I am unsure why so many of you seem to reject the idea of actually organizing yourselves, and doing more than singing a few songs at the next USL match. Take away your personal opinion of me for a second, and just focus on the idea of launching an organized fan-movement to preserve the name. It's not the hardest thing in the world to organize and execute. It might even be fun.

It seems because that "scumbag" West Seattle suggested an idea of a real organized effort, many of you are rejecting it. Put aside your personal thoughts of me for a sec, and recognize a unified and organized voice on this matter will get results.

Right now, all your griping on this forum, has done nothing. Many of you spent months griping about the naming issue before it was decided, and they ignored all of your posts and kept Sounders off the list. Now you're griping again, and the franchise had an increase in ticket sales after the contest was announced.

Unless there are unspoken promises behind the scenes I don't know about, you're movement has gone nowhere, after months of complaints here. So maybe, just maybe what is required is more than complaining here, and singing at a game?

Maybe a definitive web site, with a definitive message, a fan-derived logo, identity and name, with a genuine plan of attack to get your name preserved might help the situation?

Is that really the worst idea in the world? I don't think it is.

9. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Flood the FO with Fish!!!

Etienne had an awesome idea in a different thread: