[Saudi Teams @ AFC Champions League 2009] [R]

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by Hilaly, Jan 22, 2009.

1. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Okay Everyone

Al Hilal vs Um Salal
    King Fahad International Stadium
    Kick off 9 PM

Frankly, if Hilal don't win this I'd be suprised. No disrespect to Um Salal of course but they should be happy they made it into the round of 16.

2. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just what I was afraid of. Um Salal parked the bus and Hilal choked.

PK shootout will start shortly. Um Salal will definitely go through as we only have 2 decent penalty takers on the field while Um Salal is full of foreign and naturalized players. I can't even remember the last time Al-Deayea saved a pk. :(

3. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    They still had many chances to score, and the way they attacked in the extra time wasn't like in the first and second half though. They should have began attacking ferouciously since the beginning.

4. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Hilal were terrible. They didn't really hound and put pressure on Umm Sallal, the visitors were generally comfortable. It didn't help that they played with ten mean for 80+ minutes. I'm really tempted to sneak in some Yasser jibes right now. The sniper may know how to score girls, but on the field he shoots bbbblanks. They should put two blondes behind the Umm Sallal goal. That might help. Sorry couldn't help it.

5. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Ah....Hilal choke again in continteal competition. Is this a new tradition or something?

Imagine if Soel Missed his penalty. :D

6. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Daaaaaaaaamn Sayf....Umm Salal? :D

7. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't watch the game until the last 5 minutes because I had something more important to do (yes there are things more important to me than footy), but I didn't understand why Yasser was subbed out. No matter how badly he's playing there's ALWAYS a possibility that he'll wake up and produce a goal or an assist.

Anyway, I mentioned this long before the tournament started. This current Hilal squad can dominate possession, but they don't know how to break these kinds of teams down. I'm gutted, but I can't say I'm surprised.

(Tarek El-Taib ... all this skill, yet you can't score a freaking penalty?)

8. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Damn,

Of all the matches Hilal choked when i actually put a bet on them. :mad:

Anyways Shloub has wicked skills.

9. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yet he failed at the simple task of scoring from 12 yards.

10. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Oh well, now for some real football. SHABAB! :D

11. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    You can have all the talent in the world in your midfield but without a natural striker, they're worthless. Why not play Al-Anbar!!!!
    Yasser cannot play as a lone striker. Everyone knows that.

A terrible end to a mediocre season compared to all talent and the money spent.

12. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ^
    Adelo, first of all, al-Anbar is injured.

Second, Yasser is one of the few Saudi strikers who are tactically-aware enough to play the lone striker role, and he's as natural a goal-scorer as they come. His problem right now is a severe drop in form, not some innate lack of ability. Still, it was a mistake to sub him out. Even Cosmin played with 2 strikers when the other team parked the bus like Um Salad did.

13. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Lol. Well i meant Shloub was doing some good dribbling skills and passing skills.
    Yeah his goal scoring skills were not at par for the match.

14. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Fine, then play with Yasser and Suwaileh from the beginning.

Btw, was Um Sala"d" a typo? :D

15. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    its very sad to see what we expected did not happen...only 1 saudi side could make it to last 8 although hilal is expectional team...mabrouk zaids belunder mistake sent ittihad under pressure..ittifaq has also bowed out...
    btw saudi NT lost to qatar 2 -1 ///...the match was played in doha ..our NT most of ahly and nassr players..tayseer jasem scored for saudi.....

16. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe, but at least convert to 2 strikers in the second half. I read Al-Husaini's post-match comments and it seems he has a chip on his shoulder and is very defensive (I mean personally defensive, not tactically). He said something like "if i'd gone all the way and won the tournament I'm sure you would all attribute it to the old coach." What a sulk.

Anyway, Hilal needs a tactical and coaching revolution like what happened in 04/05. This is our 15th straight match in Asia without a defeat yet we are still out, so the whole tactical philosophy of the team has to be overhauled. Just as 4-5-1 was the right way to go after the collapse in 04, I think this is a good time to abandon 4-5-1 and look at a new system. I hope Gerets can provide this. As much as I love Tarek, I think his suspension came at the right time for this reform to happen, because I think the whole 4-5-1 has basically become a way of accommodating Tarek.

Haha yeah it was a typo. I'm an Um Salal fan in the ACL from now on. I want them to do a Greece and go on to win the whole thing. :D