Saturday's Times quotes Ray: Gazza would have been a bad infleunce

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Saturday's Times qutes Ray: Gazza would have been a bad infleunce

Having breakfast at Bob & Edith's yesterday, someone left a copy of the Washington Times on the table next to me and I was surprised to find a feature story on name players in MLS by someone named Bob Cohen.

Here's the link - http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20020810-4354.htm

Even more surprising was that the article was well written and even more surprising than that was this quote from Ray about Gazza.

"In the last single opinion, it wasn't the right mixture," Hudson said. "I don't think Paul at this point would have been the right role-model all the way across the line. He would have been an inspiration off the field and a great character in the locker room, but there were other parts of his personality that I thought wouldn't be a positive influence."

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Good article across the board. The point about playing in America is hard and not just because the standard of play is better than expected is a good one. We americans tend to forget how different our culture is.

About the Gazza quote, I'm not sure what he means. It sounds that ray thought Gazza would be a positive off the field and in the locker room so that leaves the field, right? In light of the rest of the article, maybe Ray thinks that he'd have too hard of an adjustment to the game here and he wouldn't have prodeuced as well as Ray hoped/needed? If that's true, than Ray's decision not to sign him was very prudent.

3. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Any coverage is good coverage. A well written and positive tone article is great. I'd say that's worth $0.35, wouldn't you? Let the editors know that United coverage was the reason you went out and actually purchased the paper.

-Tron

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could we read between the lines to say this means Gazza's rehab didn't really work and he indulged in his past indulgences? ie, maybe that one beer at the Lounge led to multiple beers at the Lounge?

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    No one else can/wants to score......Why not bring in Gazza. If he fails, so what! We quite frankly suck at the present time!

6. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I heard he was helping Bobby, Tino, and Justin make fake IDs. ;)