Saturday's attendance

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by revsrock, Oct 7, 2003.

1. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curse you.

;)

2. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    That's nice of them to show Sox highlights, but there's one thing really ticks me off about this... they probably wouldn't do the same for the USA Women's team, even if they were in the final.

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so your agrument states that the other sports in Boston are more important to you then the Revs. See, i consider myself and everybody who shows up Saturday a true fan because they will be there to cheer on the Revs. I, like the rest of them, will be curious of the Red Sox score. You say you go to all the home games and quite a few away games, so does that automatically quialify you as a true fan. I don't think so. I like all Boston sports except the Patriots, but i prefer Revs over them all. So i wouldnt miss a Revs game if the Red Sox were playing the Cubs in Game 7 with Pedro on the mound. I also wouldnt miss a Revs game in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. You get my drift. I am a true fan, and those who show up Saturday are true fans.

4. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JMMUSA...Oh brother. Yes, I get your drift. And you obviously don't get mine. UM...exactly what would you define as a "true fan", someone who DOESN'T make the efforts to go to any games? You sound ridiculous. And if I really felt the need to defend myself to someone as obviously ignorant and judgmental as you, I would continue this nonsense. You obviously hold yourself up on some soccer pedestal. Don't worry, someday you will fall off.
    Spazz

5. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and one more thing..there have been many times over the last 4 years that I have picked the Revs over other options in my life, be it other sports events, concerts, whatever. God willing, that might qualify me as a "true fan", according to your strange definition.

6. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Not that true fan crap again

C'mon guys give it a rest.

Radios will be the order of the day, as long as security allows them in.....

Amy

7. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Not that true fan crap again

You just jinxed it, Amy.
    I would go to the game, but since I am basically stuck here in the Bronx (I know, I know....), I won't be able to go see the Revs. Besides, things could get fun here. The other day there was a brawl on campus: 300 Sox and Yanks fans beating the snot out of each other. The NYPD had to come break it up, and the series hadn't even started yet. All the dorms on that side of campus were quarantined that night. I can only imagine what the fight will be when the series ends...

Can't tell you who won the fight, though. One kid got taken to the hospital, though (got whacked with a broomstick).

If only we could see this type of behavior from soccer fans....

Oh, wait.
    We do.

We just need a plane ticket to go see it.

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    post season baseball with the Sox' best pitcher going against our hated turncoat formerly best pitcher, and the Sox' hated rivals... yeah i'd say that outweighs a Revs regular season game, despite it being an important one.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole "us" vs. "them" thing is a bit ridiculous. My father used to always say "L'un n'empeche pas l'autre" when it came to this kind of stuff. No reason why you can't enjoy both. Regardless of whether you are also a fan of the other teams/sports, or if you don't care for them, either one is fine without getting into stupid arguments over who is a "better" fan.

Last year, a couple of my co-workers who are not soccer fans commented to me during the run-up to the Cup Final about the Revs. They ended up watching (at least part of) the game on TV, and one guy even commented how upset he was that Griffiths' shot hit the bar, and then LA scored right away on the counter. I appreciate people who aren't necessarily fans of our team/sport jumping on the bandwagon, and there's nothing wrong with hoping one of our other local teams goes all the way, especially if it means beating the "Evil Empire."

My rule is that unless you are a fan of a specific team or originally from that region that our local team is playing, always pull for the local guys, even if you couldn't name their 3-4 best players. We would want the same treatment if it was us.

Tom

10. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the previous writer, thank you! That was the exact point I was trying to make....you just are much more concise and coherent than me! Thank you for your perspective.
    Spazz

11. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At dinner last night we were discussing the Red Sox players shaving their heads and that Nomar was exempt because he was marrying Mia soon. My son asked "even Rusty with his long hair?"

Sadly my paternal pride was soon shattered when he couldn't tell me who Mia is. Hey, at least he thinks their is only one important team in town ;)

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    My son was asking whether Mia's going to wear Garciaparra on the back of her jersey.

13. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mia Garciaparra has a nice lilt to it doesn't it?
    But wouldn't it be better if they decided on Hamm-Garciaparra or Garciaparra-Hamm? Can you see that on a Red Sox jersey?!?!?

But regarding Mia the question is "what jersey?" Isn't she hanging up the boots? Or is that just with the Nats? Speaking of...I suppose that match won't be on the radio will it?

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think that the announced crowd of 12k is pretty damn respectable. I sure as heck wasn't at the game, though I certainly plan to be there for the Revs play off run. Here are the TV numbers to give an idea of what the Revs were up against.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2003/10/13/martinez_is_hit_with_50000_fine/

I have a feeling that 66 share is a record.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Considering the fact that it was a holiday weekend and the "other" game, 12K is outstanding!

It didn't look like that many to me, but it's pretty tough to estimate. It seemed like the standing section had the normal crowd, but the cat I midfield sections looked kind of sparse to me. There were many people offering lots of extra tickets outside.

16. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    An announced crowd of 12,000 isn't too bad, you're right, but it literally appeared that half of them showed up. There couldn't have been more than 7,000 tops in that stadium.