Saturday Wolves host Antigua

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Killersheep, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On google maps it looks super close to a residential area.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you really never been to GCU?

3. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope never, I had to planned to watch the Sahuaros there, but I never got around to it.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a nice campus. The neighborhood would be described euphemistically as "up-and-coming." They're spending a lot on athletics (the basketball facility is quite nice). I don't know what has been done to the soccer facility since I was last there, but I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near being USL Pro-adequate.

5. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if I'll be able to tailgate at GCU. It would be nice to hear from the team about details (seating, parking, etc.) considering the game is 2 days away.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you're drinking water, I think you're fine. :)

7. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The FO is supposed to be meeting with GCU people today (not that it's last minute)

8. soccersponge

soccersponge New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    GCU also has a track around the field. The surface is in good shape to play on though.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's new. When did they do that?

10. soccersponge

soccersponge New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    About 2 years ago!

11. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thanks for answering my question, guys. I've also found your comments informative as I only recently learned of the existence of the Wolves.

I live in Peoria, so it's easier for me to attend this GCU game than to catch a match in Tempe.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, okay.

That explains why Google maps looks totally different at different levels on this.

13. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I still haven't been officially informed by the club about the location change. You'd think that they would notify (at least) the season ticket holders some time in advance so that they can plan accordingly.

14. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they increased the seating capacity as well?

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, it's only Tuesday at 1:16pm. You have, like, 54 hours. Plenty of time.

16. soccersponge

soccersponge New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Seating capacity has not been updated as of yet. There is one main bleacher (around 400 capacity) and then there may be other smaller bleachers around on the west side. Moving division 1 I would expect the school to update seating facilities in the near future.

17. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no response from the FO on Thursday details.

18. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FANS:
    Please note that the match on Thursday, July 11th will be played at GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY SOCCER FIELD starting at 7:30 PM. Due to a more limited seating, tickets are no longer available online for this match. Tickets will be available on game day beginning at 6:30 PM at GCU for standing room only at $10 each. FREE parking will be available at the NW corner of campus near the field.

Please contact the Phoenix FC office at info@phoenixfc.com or call 602.795.6623 if you have any questions.

GCU is located at:
    3300 West Camelback Road
    Phoenix, AZ 85017

19. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you buy at the venue, it's standing room only and also there is no alcohol.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it will be like 103 at kickoff.

If there is a chance you could get bitten by a poisonous snake, you'd have the perfect evening, wouldn't you think?

21. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm thinking lightning

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the weather could be interesting for this one. it will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like as well.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Matt, tell us how it went....

25. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have liked to win more convincingly, but whatever.

I didn't have a bad time at the game, but I don't see how GCU could work as a long-term home for the team. There isn't room to put stands. If they got rid of the track around the field, maybe, but that isn't happening. I sat in the "VIP season ticket holder" section, but if i did it again, I'd probably just bring a lawn chair and get there early enough to get a good spot. The people i was surrounded by made me appreciate the people who I sit near at ASU. The adults behind me talked about running the whole time and the comments they did make about soccer were totally off base. Their kid whined to go home, "Can we go home when someone scores?". The people next to me totally ignored their kid who was banging on the metal bleachers with rocks. They both were very offended when me and some guys behind me (I think it was the Weber's and Peabo) loudly joined in with LFR on the 'Who's your father, referee?' song. The little girl behind me was asking what a 'bastard' was. It put a smile on my face. I was trying to restrain myself as I saw a really loud, obnoxious guy get kicked out. If it was my call, I would have kicked him out for calling the ref 'blue' like it was a softball game.

Other than that, they got a decent recording of the national anthem, but I don't get why they don't do the Antigua and Barbuda national anthem. The food trucks were a good idea, and I would have got food there if I hadn't of already bought food b/c they said no food. The halftime entertainment was the best of the season. It was score a goal from midfield, then from 35-40 yards out, then from 20-25 yards out (as no one could make it from further out) featuring LFR members. They were good sports despite their inaccurate kicks. Made me wonder where the team would be without LFR.