Satellite or cable? Which is better for soccer?****

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Hannah Lee, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Hannah Lee

Hannah Lee New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Right now I have Time Warner Cable, and it's not terrable but I keeps getting more and more expensive. So I am trying to figure out which dish to get? The Dish Network or Direct TV? Which one is better for soccer? Do any of them get ESPN Deportes and GolTV? Any info would be great. Thanks much.

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    No and no.

But FSW is available as well as the ppv Prem games on Sat. I am partial to Direct TV, but that's becasue I have been a subscriber for years now.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Depends on the user
    2. Depends on how much you want to spend
    3. I'm sure their Web sites have info on what they offer

I am very happy with my cable system. One size does not fit all.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Dish Network has GolTV and FSW, so for that reason is probably the best for soccer....right now. If you speak Spanish then you might want to hold off to see if Deportes takes off and becomes available on either system......looks like a longshot right now. If you get DISH with the top programming package, I think its called the Top 180, you get both FSW and GolTV. Deportes, if and when it becomes available, will be on the hispanic tier and will cost extra.

5. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    Dish Network by far. Dish Network has an exclusive on GolTV for satellite broadcast. You can't get it through DirecTV. And with Dish Network you get GolTV in English which most cable systems only have the spanish version.

When I first got Dish I thought GolTV was just a small extra. Boy, was I wrong. I watch it almost as much as FSW.

As for ESPN Deportes, I'd forget about that. If it ever becomes available to Dish Network or DirecTV you will have to buy an expensive spanish package just to get one channel. It isn't worth it in my opinion. If you really want to watch Champions League, go to UEFA.com and buy their Action Pass and watch the matches any time you want on your computer. It will be much cheaper.

6. Hannah Lee

Hannah Lee New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks that totally answered my question. I went to Dish Networks site but it didn't say that GOLTV was in english, but thats great. Thanks.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally, satellite is going to be cheaper. Dish has GolTV now, but their exclusive deal with Dish is up at the end of the month. I haven't heard if or when GolTV will be added to DirecTV though. FWIW, I have DirecTV and like it a lot.

8. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    With Dishnetwork you also get the added advantage of being able to subscribe to a large amount of Ethnic channels.

So if you are partial to any one country this might be the way to go.

9. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Not so in my area. We get Comcast digital cable (with sports package that includes FSW & Gol TV starting 12/8), Comcast DVR (installed tomorrow), and Comcast high speed internet. The cost is right around $125 a month total.

For the exact same services from Direct TV, I was quoted as $39.99 for the basic package, plus $20 per month for the package that includes FSW ($59.99), plus the Direct TV/Tivo deal was $99 to install (as opposed to the $20 for Comcast DVR installation) and $12 a month ($71.99 total) plus $100 a month for Direct TV's version of high speed internet (grand total of $171.99 a month compared to Comcast's $125 a month).

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, $20 for the sports pack is high. It's $12 a month or less. Only an idiot would buy DirectWAY service. You'd do better to get DSL service from Verizion if it were available and it would be much cheaper. With the DirecTV Tivo, you have an upfront cost to by the equipment. Sometimes there are free promotions though. In general, I found DBS to be cheaper, there are more channels offered, and the picture is much better. Comcast is my local provider as well. If you have a multiroom system through Comcast or start to add other premium channels, the price gets out of control. The drawback is no GolTV.

11. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999

Your analysis is a little misleading. You could get Comcast's internet service and DirectTV's satellite TV service. Also, is comcast's dvr comparable in quality to TIVO.

Comcast is also a bear to deal with. I've had trouble with cable companies, but they are the worst.