Sarachan wants US job full time

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to know what Cordeiro's USSF promised those voters who represented the players in order to buy their support. It's difficult to believe that a pep talk about how inspiring would be to hear The Sound of Silence, as played by Davey & The Saccharines and presided over by Our Man Flynn, for the next 5 bloody years, would be the asking price.

juveeer repped this.
  2. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just cannot reward failure, most particularly in a competitive setting.

We have plenty of options for this interim position and the rest of the staff positions who are at least as qualified as the guy that couldn’t get a job at St Louis university and more qualified from the perspective of not being coated in the stench of recent epic failure.

An insular, amateur organization awarding positions based on metrics other than performance and merit is all that is happening here. It’s a clown show.

yurch10, y-lee-coyote, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Bruce Arena has a lot of time on his hands. Creating 30 bigsoccer accounts will not interfere with his forced retirement.

russ repped this.
  4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The friendly is meaningless in that the result is meaningless. But the friendlies are very important to managers in trying to sort out the ranking of players and who plays well together.

Excellency repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

When somebody says friendlies are meaningful in trying to sort out the ranking of players and who plays well together, he is saying friendlies are meaningful.

Part of ranking a player would involve seeing if he can close out a game sitting on a 1-0 lead. What happens in minute 70 when the opponent starts adding strikers or sends cb's forward or employs some other tactic that is meant to increase the chances of scoring while, arguably, weakening his defenses. How will our guys react? i.o.w. , can they maintain a meaningful lead?

Agreed?

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resume and qualifications aren't the end all, be all, but many even laughed when Jurgen was hired after he was a top footballer and had managed both Germany and Bayern Munich.

So let's consider Sarachant's resume and qualifications.

Basically played indoor soccer in the renowned MISL.

As a manager, had a single stint as head coach with the Chicago Fire. Other than that he's been Arena's pet assistant twice, coached Cornell, and has "assistant" attached to every other position he's had.

I wouldn't even trust him with our U11's.

This is also insight into how the GOB network works. What the F does Arena see in this guy? Doesn't matter, they're friends, so he hired him twice, just as he hired his son Kenny, who has an even worse resume than Sarachan't. He also placed Mr. "Messi is a low IQ player" as our chief scout.

So what to people think will happen with the GM position? What will happen is the GOB network will place an MLS/SUM puppet in that position, probably someone who's out of a job and looking for something to keep them busy. And he won't be the one hiring the next coach. He'll be the one the public thinks will hire the next coach. And GOB network behind the scenes won't dare risk hiring someone who might ruffle feathers.

All roads lead to someone like Caleb Porter. Out of a job and apparently no one globally is all that interested in hiring him, been a part of the USSF system before, would cater to SUM's priorities and lock Nagbe into the XI. At his introductory press conference he'll be hailed as a top international coach because he once beat Bayern Munich in what was for them a preseason friendly.

TOAzer, juveeer and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a coach is trying to accomplish in a particular friendly is up to the coach. We are not privy to that information. We can only guess. I'm just trying to differentiate between the casual fan who might say,"Oh, we lost a friendly. We suck!" and the more educated fan who might say, "Well, we had a good look at Carter-Vickers and Adams and Weah in a 4-1-3-2. Mission accomplished!"

Winoman repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looking at the recent CCL matches, it seems like Sarachan got it right agasint Paraguay..

marsch paid for how he deployed Adams against Chivas whereas Sarachan aced the test, adding Delgado in to the mix to win balls and pass thru midfield always keeping trapp in back to keep the team's shape and direct traffic.

9. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I'm not sure I can see a reason not to give it to Tata Martino if he'll take it.

mike4066 repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A reason would be that he needs more time to learn the peculiarities of American players.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The peculiarities we saw down at T&T against their B/C team?

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly those. Yes.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Sarachan is a good coach. I have no doubt about that. But he'll be 64 in June and 68 at the next World Cup (Nov - Dec 2022). I just think we need someone younger and more innovative. And also not someone associated with the debacle from the last WC cycle.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If we come to the conclusion that Vanney is the right guy, I wonder when he would be agreeable to start and when he should start. I'm guessing it would be end of calendar year, so 2018 or 2019?

How much of Vanney's success should be put down to his front office, I wonder. They seem very prepared for various difficulties. Maybe we should hire his GM as well.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saracan't was at the BVB/Schalke derby today. Hopefully he flew coach, in the middle seat on the way over and the person in the aisle seat didn't get up when he had to go to the bathroom.

[​IMG]

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What is he doing there? Trying to convince those guys to not refuse his call ups in June?

Wouldn’t his time been better spent scouting the guys who he hasn’t seen and are automatic call ups?

The whole thing is so surreal. This is like a generous retirement gift where he gets to go to fantasy camp for 9 months, but he thinks his vast experience as an assistant under the biggest disgrace in US soccer will get him the job. He has shown he’ll suck up to MLS and reactively call in a dual citizen after losing one of our biggest prospects. He might be just what they are looking for...

StormTrooper repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't you think he is doing a good job so far? We have friendlies with Bolivia, France, Ireland in the JUne break and Italy lined up so far for November. Purty good, if you ask me.

Let's give the guy a chance. He has reunited the MIazga, CCV, Delgado, Steffen defensive paragon from the U20's 2015 (this means they will be about 25/27 yrs old in 2022 Qatar). I have no doubt he will add the new stalwarts Pulisic, McKennie and, some would surmise, Parks (a "maybe" at this stage for sure). Add our EPL guy Yedlin in there and throw marketing sensation Adams on the pile and you already have 10 out of your starting xi and he has done it in short order.

Color me impressed, so far.

--------------------x-------Pulisic
    -----------------------Wes
    ---------parks------------------Delgado
    -----------------------trapp
    -Adams?---miazga-----ccv-----Yedlin
    ---------------GK: Steffen

Imagine where Arena would be at this stage

--------------wood----jozy
    -------------------pulisic
    -----------Nagbe---------Acosta
    -----------------Bradley
    -----x-----Besler-------gonzo----Yedlin
    -----------------GK: Guzan

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where has he said he expects to get the job? All I see is that a journalist asked him if he was interested. He unsurprisingly responded that he was interested. But he hasn’t suggested he’s a top candidate .

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarachan was either hired as an Interim to be just that, or was told he could consider himself a candidate for the job. His words and actions clearly indicate it was the latter. ...... Big Mistake on the USSF's part.

HIred on the "Bradley Interim Plan", Sarachan still could have decided to focus on what was best for the renewal of the USMNT, aiming at foundation building for the long run to the next world cup campaign, or he could lhave decided to let it be derailed into The Sarachan Marathon Campaign for The Job. ...... His words and actions clearly indicate it was the latter.

Now if he gets The Job we will have the most thoroughly confirmed mediocrity as a national manager we've seen in at least 30 years. And if he doesn't get the Job then all he will have accomplished is to piss on his mandate to build a solid understanding of who our players are for whoever is the next manager.

Chicago House, like Charlie Sheen, knows "Winning! Duh".

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He has been coaching for results like he is auditioning for the job.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are doing a whole lot of mind reading here. I think he’s just doing his best, which just so happens to be rather mediocre.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm getting tired of the myth that Sarachan has been managing the team for results at the expense of the team's development.

He was quite frank in saying that he wanted the boys to reap the rewards for their efforts against Paraguay. If that didn't meet the sick demands of the marketing set then fugg it, I couldn't give a shot.

I'm about the team. Sarachan is about the team. Go USA. Go Sarachan. Let's take what we can from the Paraguay game and let's add to it.

Really looking forward to Sarachan leading the troops in against Bolivia, France and Ireland.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It wasn’t change for change sake, but to reward as many players as possible and give them a chance to make a case to be included in the future.

You don’t just make changes for change's sake. We did want to make [more than] three or four subs, but the game sort of evolved in a way that we felt the players on the field needed to be rewarded for a great effort.”

-- U.S. national team coach Dave Sarachan on why he used only four of the six available subs (and only one before the 77th minute) in the 1-0 win over Paraguay, leaving eight of the 23 players without a cap from the March gathering. (MLSSoccer.com)

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    A lot of us are getting tired of the myths you have been telling about Delgado (he’s never been part of a defensive paragon) and bashing the majority of his competition.

Nope, Sarachan did meet the demands of the “marketing set” and made sure to get all of the MLS players on. It was all those guys that flew across the Atlantic that got ignored. Good thing he’s meeting that issue head on.

I’d be interested in seeing Villafana, Nagbe, Trapp, and Delgado go 90 against France. That would be really interesting.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Villafana and Nagbe, no. Trapp and Delgado? Definitely. See my post #167 above. You don't see V/fana or Nagbe in the picture.

"....lot of us are getting tired of the myths you have been telling about Delgado (he’s never been part of a defensive paragon)...." Excuse me? He played dmid for the U20's with Miazga, Steffen, CCV at the U20's. That is the paragon I was talking about. That is a fact. There is no argument whatsoever. The lineup is the lineup and you cant change it no matter how much you want to. They held the eventuall champs to 0, zero, nil, nada, zilch goals over 120 minutes. Tough titties dude. You lose.