Sarachan wants US job full time

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’ll say that having been in US Soccer as an assistant coach and now as a head coach, it’s a job that requires a lot of experience and how to navigate through CONCACAF and qualifying,” Sarachan said. “But I also believe that an American coach has a real understanding of the culture of the American player. I believe that an American coach would be ideal for this position.”

Wow! I look forward to this discussion, also.

3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I mean, I can't blame him for saying he'd love to have the job if offered. I'm sure every American coach who's coached at a reasonably high level would like the job.

But the thought of him actually being a serious candidate makes me a bit nauseous (not that the article at all implies that he is).

jnielsen and wsmaugham repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If the new GM considers Sarachan, then where do I submit my CV?

5. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    No thanks. It would be lunacy to consider a person who is essentially a less talented and accomplished version of Arena.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think he’s a good guy and a good soldier for US soccer. He has in his day helped the program. And no, I don’t blame him.

But man oh man, nothing he’s done in the last couple games to suggest he has anything to offer. It’s like your elderly uncle asking you to fix him up with your ex girlfriend. You give him points for trying...

8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Len and onefineesq repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah sure why not? The new USSF president was part of the biggest failure of USSF history and he was still elected to continue as if nothing happened. Why can't Sarachan, also part of the biggest failure, we promoted as our new Federation president did?

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
  12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems a lot of guys in the good ol boys lack self awareness.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I mean, I'd like to be considered for the job too.

14. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I feel this is so obviously terrible this thread should only get 2 pages. The ultimate BS insult.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  15. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “I’ll say that having been in US Soccer as an assistant coach and now as a head coach, it’s a job that requires a lot of experience and how to navigate through CONCACAF and qualifying,” Sarachan said.

Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe it.

jnielsen, Deadtigers, adam tash and 7 others repped this.
  16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't navigate it so well. Sarachan is 63 years old. Too old, too stale. We need new energy and new ideas.

morange92, TxEx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    "how to navigate through CONCACAF and qualifying"

That's what assistant coaches are for.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this article is complete garbage and so no one will take it seriously, but the fact that this article was actually fing published is why this crap needs to be taken seriously.

The level of idiocy on display here, actually publishing an article that takes the possibility of Dave as a viable candidate seriously, in these numerous articles with insiders touting the importance of American coaches, the acceptance of the lying and incompetence displayed in the Jonathan Gonzalez debacle, the outrageous ticket prices for a crappy friendly in the middle of nowhere at a nothing stadium after failing to qualify and just to scratch the back of a board member, etc. These are all signs that there is an insular bubble, an echo chamber within USSF that is completely unattached to reality at this point.

Failing to qualify out of the easiest federation possible, is why only someone who failed to qualify is not ironically qualified to be head coach?

It's Orwellian, up is down, failure is success, war is peace, freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength.

juveeer, jnielsen, Deadtigers and 2 others repped this.
  19. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
  20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.
    Just.
    No.

21. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/02/28/us-soccer-general-manager-dan-flynn-usmnt-coach-usmnt-uswnt

He has the job through March for sure. And he knows the search team pretty good, so it's not far fetched.

He did a lot for the program, as did Arena but they aren't the guys to lead the team anymore. It would end similarly to Arena and this would have been wasted time.

We need a new set of eyes to look at things from top to bottom. Its why I was sad to see Cordeiro win. And this just confirms how he will step back and let the board run things.

Not good.

Side note: since Sarachan is considered I've decided to send them my FM18 resume. Who has also brought non league sides to the prem? I need assistants.

ttrevett repped this.
  22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He probably had no idea who Gonzalez was and didn't bother to ask him to participate in the friendly in Portugal. A USA youth kid staring for the best team in Mexico and he's got nothing.

Any list with his name on it is a disgrace. Hell no.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    To be fair, of course he wants the job. Why wouldn't he? I'm sure a large part of the coaching fraternity in this country wants the job.

We haven't hired the GM yet, who's going to make the hiring decision. So any discussion is really moot. Its just blather..................

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Did Sarachan and Donovan wake up in the same bed? They said the exact same thing, you could accuse one of them for plagiarism.

Sure, only an "American" coach can navigate through Concacaf and WCQ. Prime example, Arena; and the result? Staying home while the party rages on in Russia.

25. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Technically, so am I. So are you. ;)

I think releasing a public statement like this only serves to confirm that Sarachan is too stupid, delusional, unaware, tone-deaf, blind, and/or arrogant for the job. It's like someone distributing condoms promoting their campaign to become Pope.

Of course, this now means Sarachan is our leading candidate.