News: Saputo says Montreal MLS in 2011 possible.

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by antnee7898, May 16, 2009.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where you guys at? Saputo says that talks with MLS and Local Government puts the possibility of MLS for Montreal very high. That approval could be made by the league by the end of May. Saputo says he feels comfertable paying $35 mil over 5 years, same price as Portland and Vancouver. Check for the link to the article over at MLS rumors. Good Luck guys.

2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    it is NOT a surprise to see saputo and mls kissing and making up-- many, including myself, thought that 2011-2012 would see them in the league

the unusual surprise is that the Quebec government seems to be taking the lead in paying for the expansion/renos at the stadium and if saputo is to be believed, to the tune of about $ 25 mill CDN-- some people thought i was crazy when i said this a few months ago that this would happen

the BIGGER picture here is canada's desire to host the Womens World Cup, 2015-- WE APPARENTLY ARE THE FRONT-RUNNERS--and that is why i believe that governments like provincial governments in ontario (with BMO stadium), BC (with BC Place stadium) and now Quebec (with Saputo Stadium) are ponying up with bucks to make all of this happen-- and some $$$$ will also come from federal coffers when the timing is right to announce it

why would FIFA give canada the WWC 2015? -- look at the attendance figures from the Under 19 WWC in 2003 and the 2007 Under 20 MWC in 2007-- stunning results from a financially stable country with a healthy infrastructure, corporate support and a huge volunteer base (for ex. the 2010 Winter Olympics in vancouver/whistler)

there is lots of $$$$$$$$ to be made in soccer in canada!!

i wouldn't be surprised to see edmonton and ottawa get some financial assistance to build new stadiums with an eye on hosting some of the 2015 games

3. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Good Luck Guys, I wonder why 2011. I wonder if a team is going to fold or they are worried about Portland.

4. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I think he means 2011 at the earliest. As for Portland, I have not heard anything about their bid being in jeopardy or having problems. I think it's just pure hypothosis.

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Portland is jus fine. I think 2011 because to me and many others, Montreal is a no brainer as a great soccer market. I think Don was very impressed by the crowd at the CCL game.

6. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    On MLS rumors, they are talkiing about moving the Revolution up north. Take it for what it is.

7. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    They talked about Joey and Kraft meeting for 4 hours, which is probably mostly true. The whole "about the revs moving" is all haphazard guessing. If we're guessing random things, I'd imagine Joey is making nice with all the other owners, as he realizes they're the ones who ultimately pull garber's strings. That or they're comparing cheese recipes.

8. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    MLSRumors should be treated with the same disdain as Perez Hilton's website.

9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I wonder how AC Philadelphia will do next year. :rolleyes:

10. Garrincha8

Garrincha8 Member

May 28, 2008
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Who the hell is AC Philadelphia? take it u mean the 'Union'. Philly's well on its way to being a sustainable team - it's ones like Dallas and KC Wizards that are in real trouble.

Seattle pretty much kept their name and identity when they moved up to MLS and I hope Montreal do the same thing - your fan's passion and size is impressive and will strengthen the league - hope it happens by 2012-13 at the latest.

also hope that CCL really drives up the standard of US and Canadian soccer so that we might be invited into the Copa Libertadores set up like Mexico.

11. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No he meant "AC Philadelphia"

MLSR posted that the name was "as good as in the bag" for the Philly franchise.

12. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    He says that he basically does not need nor want to enter the expansion draft and therefore enter the league with his existing squad plus maybe a few other signings. This will enable MLS to add them without burdening the talent pool.

BTW, thanks for catching my meaning Omaaar. I was basically bagging on MLSR.

13. Garrincha8

Garrincha8 Member

May 28, 2008
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    this is the best way to evolve into an MLS team in general I think - looks like the whitecaps will do something similar. Seattle kept on a few of their old players but not to the extent that Montreal are planning for. It's commendable. I wish philly had done something similar rather than leaving it all to last minute signings and the draft. very risky when you're entering a very high achieving sports city and want to make a good impression.

em. ok. - http://philadelphiaunion.com/

14. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    WAS as in NOT IS.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, KC has legitmately sold out most of their games. The Cauldron has doubled it's season ticket numbers and multiple new supporters groups have formed. There's new acceptance and engagement from local media. We have committed rich local ownership that gets it, and the team has begun work on the site that will host our new stadium. Unlike some other markets, the neighborhood where the development is going is overwhelmingly in support of the project.

We have a long way to go before we can claim any real success, but we're far from "real trouble" - unless you're describing our apparent need to come out flat most games and try and win in the second half. When you're talking about supporting a MLS franchise, every market is of significant size to sustain a team. Front office issues continue to be far and away the main reason that any MLS franchise struggles to fill seats.

[​IMG]

16. Garrincha8

Garrincha8 Member

May 28, 2008
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i'm glad that you're a passionate supporter and the new stadium/shopping mall mock up looks beautiful (presumably paid for by a massive loan from said wealthy owner and the goverment - taking on even more risk).

I noticed though that you didn't mention profit levels or average attendance for yourselfs or dallas?

for you guys, last time I checked, it was hovering between 9 and 10 1/2 thousand - after having been up towards 16,000 when u were more successful. And I don't think a profit's being turned unless you've got some updated figures on that?

I don't mean to insult your team - I want it to succeed - I actually think focusing on cities where there is less of a big competition from other really successful sports teams is a clever strategy and it seems to be working well in Columbus. Maybe it was unfair to single KC out - it was probably just because I was watching a recent game and got the impression that the stadium atmosphere was dead - especially if you compare it to something like the recent Seattle-DC game.

I' m supporting the new Philadelphia team and I'm worried we're going to have similar problems to you guys, possibly worse, like Dallas, because of the dominance of big football, basketball, hockey and baseball teams etc...

so, do you not think that I might have a point when I say that building a team from the bottom up like Montreal, Vancouver, Seattle and Portland is perhaps a better strategy? I think there's a real risk in having rootless teams - i.e. teams that rely on drafting disparite and somewhat dispassionate foreign players and college players? Why not have more of an effort and investment in associated local amateur teams and non-college educated youth systems? where are the kind of blue-collar roots that we see in successful South American teams and European teams?

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Our average attendance is close to the 10,385 capacity of the stadium. Even when they've oversold the stadium like the NY game, they still announce 10,385. What are we supposed to do until the new stadium is built? Arrowhead hasn't been available due to renovations so we had to move.

I bet 99% of the people who go like it better than Arrowhead. Our TV production is terrible with audio, but that's due to the stadium not being set up handle TV feeds like Qwest so it's done over cheap satellite, and no booth for the announcers which is why you hear individual fans on the broadcast. I'll buy your ticket any time you want to come to KC to see a game live. The games that haven't sold out were held on a Wednesday that had more people than what was actually at Stade Saputo the other night, even though they announced 11,000, and a winter storm game that was worse than the hail at US-Mex.

I said we haven't achieved success yet, and we still have one of the smaller fanbases in MLS, just that we're far from real trouble and the team and hardcore fanbase is growing. The situation has been steadily improving ever since HSG sold the team to people who get it. There's a lot of damage to undo - you can't really say we got the best hand dealt to us. A team named the Wiz in rainbow jerseys, playing in a 80,000 orange-seat stadium from the 60's, run in a family fun time way. Dallas' woes are directly contributed to the same organization as well.

It's easier to bring in a franchise today with hype, record World Cup viewership numbers, and a stable, more professional MLS.

18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i am totally amazed at the ownership and fan committments in KC! a few years ago, i would have thought that KC was going to loose their mls team-- but after seeing the new stadium drawings, it appears that all things are on the upswing in KC-- totally impressed and the new ownership group has done nothing but + PR and put their $$$$$$$$ where their mouth is-- now if only dallas, colorado and new england could do the same-- it takes solid, committed ownership with a vision and a passion for soccer in the community-- i think KC has turned the corner to becoming a solid mls franchise-- who would have thought that a few years ago??

19. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    qft. Kansas City is a franchise on the rise. They are selling out games and have a beautiful stadium planned. The fan support is growing and at least they are playing in a stadium that is a decent size for MLS. I'm looking forward to watching the growth of teams like San Jose and Kansas City who are planning an SSS and are having good fan support as of late.

20. Covert

Covert Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I would like to point out that than number was the number of tickets sold, it was poring rain and only one section is partially covered hence the small number of people actually at the game. I was at the game if that means anything.

21. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I have to agree with this. KC has definitely turned the corner and I think that they and San Jose are looking at being one of the positive franchises once they finally build their stadiums.

22. Garrincha8

Garrincha8 Member

May 28, 2008
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm sensing a little bit of :mad: here.
    Well I'm glad you obviously 'get it'. Do you think that there are identity changes that will happen - name etc.? for some reason 'Wizards' tends to be the unfortunate first name that crops up when european commentators mock the MLS.

what's your problem with orange seats by the way - I'm sitting on one now?:p

How much will Montreal change as they convert to an MLS team - same name, colours, half of the same players - less?? It'll be interesting.

Portland will be an interesting addition I think - seems to be a pre-existing, unique, dedicated identity and following there and a kind of hungry edge to their activities and development - like theyre more about sporting pride that PR or showing off.

23. Lavictoireq

Lavictoireq New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Rouyn-Noranda,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
  24. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It seems as though his proposal to bypass the expansion draft might be finally getting through to MLSHQ. I imagined before that MLS might balk at this so as to prevent creating the impression that they were promoting a team from the USL. Now, I imagine, they realize that the opportunity to bring to the league Toronto FC's main rival may not be something that they can push aside lightly. Especially if the governments assistance will only be available for 2011.

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Montreal would get creamed in MLS regular season unless they do more than "sign a few players other players" beyond their current roster. They aren't bad for a USL team (5 out of 11 this year, 3 out of 11 last year), but I highly doubt they'd be more than bottom feeders in the Eastern Conference if they didn't go through some sort of expansion-like draft.