Santorum blames Catholic Church Sex Abuse on .... Liberalism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Revolt, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable:

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feh. He's gone in the next election.

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    He should be excommunicated as well.

4. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, talk about being REALLY REALLY off the wall :eek: Is it possible that these wacko extreme right politicians can alienate their base by going too far? I'm beginning to doubt that! :eek:

5. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Santorum is an idiot

I don't think we needed further proof

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

What's he have to say about the Air Force Academy? The Air Force is the most liberal of the armed forces? :rolleyes:

7. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Is he a lawyer? If he is, he'll be the new Ashcroft: lose a senatorial election, become Attorney General.

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    He's just trying to shore up his extremist street cred since he's trailing in the polls to a guy who isn't actively campaigning.

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can take or leave Savage Love most of the time, but man, did he get it right with this guy.

This is seriously getting into Bob Dornan country. Actually, no, its worse.

I seriously can't even get my head around how stupid this is.

10. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and the USAFA is only minutes from Colorado Springs, home to a large percentage of the religious right's political cabal, most notably Focus on the Family. Focus on the Family's headquarters almost border the Air Force Academy grounds and you wouldn't have to drive 10 minutes from there to be inside the Air Force Academy.

This proximity argument is one of the weakest I have ever heard. Santorum is an idiot.

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is truth in what the good Senator from Pennsylvania says. Since I note that Ted Kennedy took offense, that lends double veracity to Santorum's claims. All that is needed to cement the thesis is to have Dr. Dean rally against it and it becomes political gospel! But let's lend a critical eye to the charges:

Boston's (indeed Massachusetts') liberalism has been a fixture of sorts for quite some time. To what extent this the ''basic liberal attitude" in state or in Boston fostered an environment where "sexual abuse of children could occur" is an interesting question. I should refer at this point to this analysis:
    "Goodbye, Good Men : How Liberals Brought Corruption Into the Catholic Church," Michael S. Rose.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...pd_sxp_f/002-7645438-8244853?v=glance&s=books
    ...which sets up the Church's point and its demise by liberals, but that doesn't touch upon (or touches too lightly) the liberal attitude being the dominant trigger (which I firmly support). Indeed, as the Senator states of Boston, "...that there's an attitude that is very open to sexual freedom that is more predominant..." Is there? I think so.

What is the "basic liberal attitude"? Easy: Listen to what liberals rally against! Morals, religion, tough personal responsibility: The three triggers of self control. Remove them from society, and you have the ''basic liberal attitude" so sought by liberals: a playground which would indeed foster an environment where sex abuse could and would occur.

Senator Santorum presents his thoughs at the wrong time; he should have rallied this idealogy in the sixties, wherein and when Massachusetts was first becoming the Camelot of the liberal set and Boston's 'freeocracy' was set in motion; where anything goes, like the San Francisco Bay area of contemporary culture. Perhaps if the good Senator voiced his call then, something could have been done to prevent Boston's descent into the pit of perversion... In fairness, however, Senator Santorum should have widened his target as there are indeed many such city pits; San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami all fit the liberal criterion and boast the plague of leftism culture... some states (ahem Vermont et al.) fall into this debauchery culture as well.

Moral choices are indeed individual choices. However, in a leftist liberal culture, where things like morality are frowned upon, the choice need not be made. Senator Santorum is not only right in his assessment, but he needs to widen his net... Boston is not alone.

IntheNet

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm shocked it took ITN two hours to type that response.

Oh wait, no I'm not....

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, West Point and Annapolis are in blue states. Weird

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love nothing more than to hear actual reasoning for such a statement from Santorum (ITN, feel free to chime on this part).

15. cnoc

cnoc New Member

Dec 19, 1999
    up the airy mountain
    you really are a funny guy

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Specter hasn't said anything on this as far as I know.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Not to mention that evangelism has a stronger hold within USAFA than either of the other academies.

18. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Give Ashcroft some credit. He lost to a DEAD guy. That is going to be hard to top!

19. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is ridiculous. And proves further that Rick S. has clearly lost all his marbles.

What intrigues me about all this is that, contained within his comments, is an odd correlation.

So the people of Boston are liberal. Then in turn those supported by the archdiocese are liberal? The archdiocese of Boston is liberal?

Or, is he saying that the archdiocese and cardinals and bishops and priests are so weak in their convictions that they are easily swayed by public opinion?

Or am I just reading way too much into the comments of the clearly deranged. Must be that - I blame these damn DC summers. ;)

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) How do you explain the molestation charges in states like Kentucky and Arizona?

2) How do you explain the fact that the theologically-conservative Cardinal Law covered up the abuses, and that the "liberal" lay group Voice of the Faithful called the church to account for its crimes?

21. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, if you start using logic you're going to have to leave. Half the fun around here is prodding ITN into stupid posts. Not that it takes a whole lot of effort, but it's the only entertainment I get out of this. :D

22. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creeping liberalism and the decline of traditional morality

In a period of declining priests accepting the calling, Cardinal Law made a critical mistake of not firing abusing priest(s) when first notified and instead moved the priest(s) hoping to salvage a Church resource. He erred toward hoped for redemption; a Christian trait but a fault nonetheless. Cardinal Law will answer to God alone, but I would bet God knows where the motives were placed!

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, in my experience, there's nothing funnier than ItN trying to respond to logic. It increases the likelihood of one of those "unintentional humor is the best kind" scenarios that he's so good at creating and perpetuating.

EDIT: See?

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If anybody has some free time, could you please bring me a mop. It appears that my head just exploded.

Who's in the what now?

25. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow. Just... wow. Yeah.

I would hate for a survivor of clergy abuse to ever run across this thread.

Ever.