Santini Resigns

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by nicephoras, Nov 5, 2004.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
  2. jstlouis

jstlouis Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Winnipeg, Canada
    FSWR has it on good authority that Jacques Santini has resigned as Tottenham manager for personal reasons and has already returned to France.

J1

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Jeremy. Bit of a shock there, thought they'd been looking good so far. Not sure what "personal reasons" entails...

4. SnowyAruba

SnowyAruba New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Was there actually trouble between him and Frank? Or was it just some sort of culture shock. I heard he'd been living in a hotel since he started, I can't imagine that would go over well with his family.

And what happens next? Does Jol take over till the end of the season then we make a bid for Martin O'Neill? I don't think he is yoo happy with the board's lack of financial support there, and this could be a good club for him to take to another level.

Man, I'm shocked, we had come so far it seemed like.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yikes, that was quick. Martin O'Neill anyone?

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    After the interminable wait to "get the right man" we are now left in limbo yet again. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Jol given a go as i have only heard good things about him.

At least there is one positive, with Pleat gone, Raddy Antic is probably out of the picture.

7. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I heard this on the radio and I thought WTF?!

I honestly believed that Santini had the capability to make Spurs a decent side again. Now he's left!! I dunno, I just feel flat now, since who is there to take his place?!

8. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Maybe Bobby Robson for the short term. He knows Frank Arnesen well. But i am all in favour of Martin O'Neill :)

9. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    WTF? I'm stunned. This is the last thing Spurs need right now. More turmoil at the Lane, now in a way, I'm not surprised.

10. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
  11. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Santini said: "My time at Tottenham has been memorable and it is with deep regret that I take my leave. I wish the club and the supporters all the best.

"Private issues in my personal life have arisen which caused my decision. I very much hope that the wonderful fans will respect my decision."

Arnesen said the club were sad to see Santini go: "We are obviously disappointed that Jacques is leaving us. We fully respect his decision."

12. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    On Sky Sports news they just read some quotes from Jacques earlier in the season where he was saying that it is a 24 hour job, not finding a house & living out of a suitcase was a big problem

13. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Big shock. I know Santini was saying he's been so busy he hadn't had time to find somewhere to live etc. so I guess that and his wife suffering that too are what caused this.

In terms of the team, I thought they were starting to look good. Yes, I'm worried about the lack of goals and creativity but at least defensively we have looked good early on.

I hope everything gets settled again soon - this must be a bit hard on a lot of the new players.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What's up with short tenures for coaches this season? Luggy got 2 games. Del Nieri was in Lisbon for a month. Voeller was in and then out. And you all know all about Camacho leaving Real. And now Santini leaves Spurs with having just enough time to start to rebuild the squad.

15. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    This might turn out to be a good thing if Jol can get along with Frank better than Santini did.

Carrick might actually get to start now and we might attack more now there is less pressure on Jol to produce compared to Santini.

16. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Man this is a shock.

Terry Venables, Harry Redknap, Big Sam, Dowie or Martin O'Neil hopefully get job. No foriegners.

Just wait for Gerrerd Houllier to be linked with the job - the thought makes you want to cry.

17. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Jesus F. Christ. I can't say I saw this one coming.

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A shame he has left so earlier but not a problem. Martin Jol will take charge now, which there's a strong school of thought may have been the plan all along, either way he was there in the coaching staff as insurance for this kind of thing.

19. schoolofscience

schoolofscience New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    philadelphia
    I support Everton, therefore I have no right to insult any other team in the world with the exception of DC United.

nick.

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats a stunner...

I do wonder what the real reason is though.

21. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I didn't see that coming, that's for sure..

22. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Can't wait ot re-read this post after it's been 'doubled'...;)

23. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Wait and see the odds in the paper on who is going to be the next manager. On the list will be Martin O'Neill, Otmar Hitzfeld, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley & at the bottom you will see Glenn Hoddle at 500-1

24. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    HOODLE HOODLE

[​IMG]

25. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC