Santiago Moreno

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by ryu79, Jul 21, 2021.

1. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As I wrote in the transfer thread, if Santi was going to choose MLS the Timbers are a solid outfit.

I spend a lot of time in Portland and it's a great city. Awesome food and arts scene. Charmingly, the best coffee and donuts in the country. Beautiful landscapes with all kinds of climates within driving distance.

Of course, most important is that it's a legit soccer town and people love the Timbers. The atmosphere in the stadium is crazy with proper energy - they have a lumberjack who chainsaws into a log for every goal they score.

If Santi performs like he should be able to given the defense in the league he will be a hero in the town. Hoping he does great there and earns a nice nice to Europe soon.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Chara bros and that Asprilla guy should be able to help him acclimate fast.
    It will be interesting to see if he gets called up any time soon though.

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sad was a great prospect. Mls wants too much to sell the players in their league like if they are boca or River.

better than Arabia, China or Mexico. Also better than Argentina because they are actually paying a team in our league for the guy not. Hey let me borrow your star and if we sell him for 10 million we will give you 2

5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Given Rueda's hesitance to even sub in the few young players he did call, I don't think we're going to see Moreno on the NT for a while. Ryu mentioned the benefit of Santi playing on the same team as Yimmi Chara. However, I think he was called purely on being someone Rueda knew; doubt Rueda even looked at his recent matches for Portland.

It sucks. Colombia loses kids to mediocre leagues all the time, but he was clearly a step above most prospects and even proved it regularly in Libertadores. You'd think other leagues would be interested, if not now, soon.

At least he's securing his financial future. Can't be mad at the kid for that.

sidspaceman repped this.
  6. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    this guy's good?

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Promising. He's got traits right now (sudden/twitchy speed), takes guys on well with the turn - the stuff that leads to the Mané comparisons jump off the film. And he's won - despite being very young he featured (increasingly) heavily in two trophies for my beloved America, and it's translated to being effective in Conmebol tournaments too...

But for me with any of these kids the question is consistency (do you beat the first man with your cross every time at will?) and volume of play (how much do you impact the game?) at higher competition- and realistically, MLS won't help us learn either of those much more than our domestic league - but hopefully he earns well, does enough to keep his hype and we can find out in Europe in a few years.

kromekote repped this.
  8. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah I have a few specific things I look for with these "promising" players. If I don't see it then im just probably not going to buy into it

9. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fast, agile, good with his feet.

Has a soft shot, and gets knocked easy.

take it from a non bias Deportivo Cali guy ;)

10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.

Atlanta United paved the way. Others are trying to follow the trend.

12. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Almada's no random prospect. That'd be a huge signing.

...hope it doesn't happen

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its annoying

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why? If Currency strength and financial solvency makes MLS competitive with Arg and Brasil as the sell on league to Europe, we'll get to watch these guys in person... I wouldn't mind that, though of course, that's a big if.

In truth if the MLS/Liga MX merger ever happens as speculated prior to Covid, I think it would inevitably become a power league given the access to Latin talent and financial resources theyd have.

Again - IF.

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  16. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    is that the US stars and stripes already on his head....guy didn't wait too long to go all in.

krass repped this.
  17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Man. I don't know if any of you are up but the Portland - Seattle derby is on and WHAT an atmosphere. You'd think you'd this was the old firm or superclassico - three or four Colombians on the pitch too.

Excited for Santi to play one of these!

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea I went to a Seattle Sounders game when Montero was there with my dad. It was awesome

felt like watching a game in Europe…

also I didn’t feel like I would get murdered like at a Nacional game :).

19. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    MLS is making huge leaps in talent right now (esp as the Argentine currency is struggling), but the atmosphere in most of its stadiums is already there and I'd argue is as good as most European and SA leagues - safe, (covid permitting) well attended, and with active loud dynamic fan bases - even here at RBA it's so fun to go to the park. We just need the quality on the pitch to catch up and if top prospects keep coming here that will happen over time, especially if the Liga MX merger happens... then the combined league will compete with any in the hemisphere and TV deals will enable even stronger/more competitive play.

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I remember when I was working in Boston we would get free tickets to the New England Revolution and no one would want them haha. (My main reason other than quality of the league at the time was Gillette is in the middle of no where and only 1 way in and out.)

I might have taken it one or two times because Toja was playing or could see Juan Pablo Angel or maybe it was Henry. I forget.

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do the Revs have a soccer specific stadium now? The experience at Red Bull Arena is awesome and night and day vs. when they played at the Meadowlands.

Honestly - stadium is just as packed (though much smaller) and loud as I remember Pascual Guerrero being as a kid. And you don't have the fence either.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I moved back to CT. So haven’t been. I don’t think so. So the stadium was always empty or seemed so.

even living in Boston it was quicker to go to the meadowlands than to Gillette.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Still some other major changes to add to make the MLS make that jump:
    1 - Calendar/Schedule is completely misaligned with most of the top world league play. This will likely not change as it would mean having to compete even more so with baseball/basketball/football/hockey for TV $$
    2 - Competition schedule outside of Concachampions. They need to play in bigger stages (Copa Libertadores/Copa Sud)
    3 - The growth of any league still has to happen somewhat organically. The fans, the club and the sport will always want to support the local hero. So yes, you can and need to sprinkle on top talent but your main budget is going to have to be sustained with the non-franchise talent that can eventually be sold for a much a higher $$. Since there are lots more non-franchise players to choose from then you increase your odds of hitting gold. With all this being said, most of the talent in sports come from urban areas and let's face it, kids trying out for that golden ticket. That golden ticket winner will still turn to the sport that will yield him the best chance to make the most $$. And soccer, even at D1 level, is not well funded as are the other major NCAA sports. Don't see this path changing for several more generations.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It also more than likely will never change because no one really wants to play from November-March in Minnesota, Colorado, Chicago, Ohio, Massachusetts, Seattle, etc.

kromekote repped this.